Can Silsbee make history?

BADSANTA

Silsbee will have a lot of outside noise this year from fans and media. Do you think this get a to their head or can they finally turn the corner and win a title? We have never been to state in back to back years and only made it to the title game once. Fans are already making plans to head back to San Antonio. Hopefully the players don't get cocky and they really put the foot to the pedal and bring a title on home. Seems like Yates, Wheatley, and Huffman could be strong as well. 

10 minutes ago, no-look said:

How many Silsbee fans know that they made it to the Title game in 1927. Game was at Sam Houston. That was as far as this region went at the time. I heard that all schools hadn't joined the UIL which was established in the twenties.  Got this from an old Lufkin Daily News paper. 

No Look, when you watched that game, who stood out?

2 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

Silsbee will have a lot of outside noise this year from fans and media. Do you think this get a to their head or can they finally turn the corner and win a title? We have never been to state in back to back years and only made it to the title game once. Fans are already making plans to head back to San Antonio. Hopefully the players don't get cocky and they really put the foot to the pedal and bring a title on home. Seems like Yates, Wheatley, and Huffman could be strong as well. 

I would say they are definitely favored to get back.  Heavily favored.  If they get there, you know some team from Dallas will be there that will be loaded for bare as well.  I do understand your concerns but those kids play really hard almost all the time.  And to be honest, the region is pretty weak.  Yates will be well coached as always but they don't have enough pieces IMO.  They have one kid Silsbee will struggle with but the Lions will have to really limit turnovers to get him the ball.  And no one kid is going to beat the Tigers. 

18 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

How would that Silsbee team have fared against your team in Iowa that year?  And were the pear baskets you guys played with breakaway?

They would have done fairly well but likely couldnt have matched our speed, quickness, and 2 handed set shot abilities.  That doesnt even count the fact that the starters ranged from 5'5" to 5'8".  We were definitely a force on the boards.

2 hours ago, no-look said:

How many Silsbee fans know that they made it to the Title game in 1927. Game was at Sam Houston. That was as far as this region went at the time. I heard that all schools hadn't joined the UIL which was established in the twenties.  Got this from an old Lufkin Daily News paper. 

I think Dove coached that 27 Silsbee team