Kelly's Kheeston Randall...

Commited at UT's junior day today to play football for the horns!!!

Jason Suchomel

Orangebloods.com Editor

Talk about it in Inside the 40 Acres

The Longhorns have been needing defensive tackle prospects over the last two years, and after signing three guys at the position in the 2007 class, it looks like Texas will try to load up at the position again in 2008.

UT Photo

Mack Brown and Texas picked up their 15th commitment on Monday.

Texas recently extended an offer to Jarvis Humphrey and the Cedar Hill product will likely make a decision sometime in March, and the Horns gained a commitment on Monday from a player that is only recently beginning to draw the spotlight his way.

Beaumont Kelly defensive tackle Kheeston Randall took an unofficial visit to the Forty Acres on Monday afternoon, and he committed before he left campus. The 6-foot-5, 267-pounder was also considering Miami, UCLA, Oregon and Texas A&M, but he said he felt extremely comfortable with the Texas coaches and players.

"It was just the place for me," Randall said. "It's a nice winning tradition and the coaching staff was great," he said.

On the visit, Randall got to check out the Texas facilities – which he gave high marks – and he also spent some time picking the brains of his future teammates. After meeting with Mack Brown, the offer came his way and Randall said it was a pretty easy decision.

"They said I have good character and my grades are really good. They said I'd be a good add to the Longhorn football team," he said. "It feels good. I'm just happy."

Randall, who had also taken an unofficial visit to Texas A&M recently, was first discovered by the Texas coaches when he was at Beaumont Ozen, playing with current Longhorn Ben Wells. The UT coaches saw the big fella on the hardcourt and were impressed with his athleticism, and after evaluating him on the gridiron he became a legitimate target for an offer. According to Randall, who also excels on the offensive line, his strength right now is chewing up blockers along the line of scrimmage and he wants to continue to add size and strength.

"I can hold up the line of scrimmage and help my linebackers help make plays," he said. "Now, I just need to stay in the weight room and get stronger."

When asked if he had any final comments that he'd like to pass along, Randall summed up his feelings with only three words.

"Hook 'em Horns," he said.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami