12-4A-II overview

TexasPanther2012

We are now in week 5 of the 2016-2017 football season. With 4 games behind us I would like to see everyone's thoughts and predictions on this district, here is my take. West Orange clearly remains the favorite to win district and I see them doing exactly that. Since coming into this district 2 seasons ago, the Panthers have been out scored by Hamshire-Fannet 75-14 losing both games. Liberty has also lost to Orangefield two years in a row, and split the series with HJ. However, it is a new year and it appears that a lot has changed in this district. Hamshire-Fannet is 0-4 this year, however, they have played a tougher non-district schedule than Liberty, facing off against BC & Lumberton, and they've dominated Liberty for the past two years, but their loss against an EC team that Liberty dominated in scrimmage play, and their loss to Buna, gives me confidence in predicting the Panthers will finally beat HF in district play this season. Orangefield has beat liberty two years in a row as well, however their non district play has been fairly poor and their 41-7 blowout loss to a Woodville team that liberty dominated ( I know the scoreboard did not show up but it was the SETX game of the week and the stats were posted and you can see liberty dominated) leads me to believe Orangefield won't be able to keep up with the Panthers this season. HJ's game with coldspring in week 1 was cancelled so I don't really have much of a comparison to draw between the hawks and the panthers at this point. My only take on that game is we beat them last year and we are a better team than last year but they could also be better so we will have to wait and see, but im predicting the panthers will win. And as far as West Orange Stark, they are my prediction to win the state title. They should cruise through this district, I can only hope liberty can get through the game at the end of the year with them healthy, and maybe come away with some moral victories to help their confidence going into the playoffs. So as of now I predict West Orange wins first , Liberty wins 2nd, HJ 3rd, HF and OF will battle for the 4th spot 

As I listened to the Liberty/Woodville game on Friday, I don't know that "dominated" is the correct word.  However, Liberty did well on Friday and they have impressed this season.  That, plus the struggles that Hamshire-Fannett and Orangefield have had starting out of the gate, I agree with your predictions.

5 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

As I listened to the Liberty/Woodville game on Friday, I don't know that "dominated" is the correct word.  However, Liberty did well on Friday and they have impressed this season.  That, plus the struggles that Hamshire-Fannett and Orangefield have had starting out of the gate, I agree with your predictions.

I also would stop short of saying Liberty dominated the game against Woodville. I was there, no domination.

You simply cannot say you dominated a team when that team drove 80 yards in 17 plays, all run plays, eating up 8 1/2 minutes of clock in 3rd quarter, scoring a TD.

Liberty was the better team, but did not dominate.

9 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I agree "dominated" was an overstatement I was going to elaborate on that but it was off topic from the thread so i just left it at that. I mean 365 yards, to 168, we fumbled on the 1 yard line once , and let the clock run out at the end of the game on the 1, so that's 14 points left off the board , a fumble is a fumble but 7 points literally left off , 35-14 could've been the score easily , no we didn't dominate but that wasn't a good game in the panthers fans eyes we never doubted that we were going to win that game , half this website picked woodville in the pick ems so I know people would like to think that the game went as the scoreboard showed but I don't think it did, we were clearly a much better team but you're right we didn't dominate by definition of the word dominate .

5 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I also would stop short of saying Liberty dominated the game against Woodville. I was there, no domination.

You simply cannot say you dominated a team when that team drove 80 yards in 17 plays, all run plays, eating up 8 1/2 minutes of clock in 3rd quarter, scoring a TD.

Liberty was the better team, but did not dominate.

I rephrased it. Simply believe that game wasn't as close as the scoreboard showed , and yeah they had 1 drive that accounted for half their points and yards for the entire game . But I agree I over stated when I said "dominated". But yeah I know you were there I was too and personally don't Think that game was ever in question I got a little worried when we fumbled on the 1 but other than that it was all good 

You can't "dominate" someone and only win by 6. It doesn't work that way. Liberty was the better football team, I can concede. They beat the Eagles in every phase of the game. The better team won the game. The difference in yardage doesn't show domination, but rather one of two things: several big plays or a lack of efficiency in the red zone. Anyone who was there knows it was the first option. Liberty had a very good football team and played a very good game. 

WOS will obviously get 1st and likely head to the state championship game. Barring some very large upset, I don't see HF winning a district game. They lost King and he was their entire team the last few years. 

Now as far as the other three, I just don't know.

I've been impressed with Liberty thus far. They seem to be much improved since the last couple of years. Yes, they did beat HJ last year, but HJ is much better this year than last as well. 

I wish HJ could have played out the Coldspring game. We did lose to LCM but had some pretty big miscues that game. Our game against Jasper will hopefully give us a better idea. 

OF has struggled at times but then also came back in the LCM game to go to OT.  OF will give you a hard game to the end and that makes them dangerous. 

So, I think district play will be exciting this year. I don't know much about our bi-district/area matchups but it may be possible for us to have two or three teams two or three rounds deep. 

Here's hoping!

2 minutes ago, drewlsu said:

WOS will obviously get 1st and likely head to the state championship game. Barring some very large upset, I don't see HF winning a district game. They lost King and he was their entire team the last few years. 

Now as far as the other three, I just don't know.

I've been impressed with Liberty thus far. They seem to be much improved since the last couple of years. Yes, they did beat HJ last year, but HJ is much better this year than last as well. 

I wish HJ could have played out the Coldspring game. We did lose to LCM but had some pretty big miscues that game. Our game against Jasper will hopefully give us a better idea. 

OF has struggled at times but then also came back in the LCM game to go to OT.  OF will give you a hard game to the end and that makes them dangerous. 

So, I think district play will be exciting this year. I don't know much about our bi-district/area matchups but it may be possible for us to have two or three teams two or three rounds deep. 

Here's hoping!

Good post! Yeah from what I've been told, the bi-district matchup will be the district with Bellville,Shepherd,Tarkington,Madisonville,Cleveland.

WOS owns this district and everyone knows it. I don't think HF wins a game in district this year. That leaves HJ, OF, and Liberty fighting for the next three spot and honestly it's anyones game for second. HJ is a better team this year and so is Liberty. Not sure about OF because I haven't really followed them.