San Marcos adopts $15 min wage

PhatMack19

2 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

**$15 an hour minimum wage if a company moving into the city wants tax incentives in exchange for promising a certain number of new jobs.

This is the hidden content, please

Does that clause make this ok?

Sure. This appears to be a contract issue. The city is giving tax incentives to entire companies to come into the city. Cities in such situations almost always add stipulations to the contract like giving city residents priority for hiring. A company does not have to comply with the incentives and can simply turn down the money and hire all minimum wage employees. 

The entire reason that cities give those incentives is to get companies to move inside the city. The intent it to hire more local people, bring in sales tax money in many situations and when the incentives run out, make long term tax revenue increases for the future. 

I can see where a city doesn't want a company to come in and only hire people that will need additional city services due to low wages. I am sure the city will welcome any business including fast food minimum wage jobs but when they are going to be handing over their own money, want something in return. 

I see no problem with it. If a company doesn't like the deal, turn down the free handout. 

I pull up to a fast food microphone and say, "Listen closely, I'm only going to say this twice." I have a huge problem with that person making $15 per hour.

Ask some of the stores in PA if they ever got their incentives.

I can see why cities would do this, but somewhere in all of those incentives, I feel I am going to pay for it.....mainly in price hikes to cover their higher labor costs.

6 hours ago, baddog said:

I pull up to a fast food microphone and say, "Listen closely, I'm only going to say this twice." I have a huge problem with that person making $15 per hour.

Ask some of the stores in PA if they ever got their incentives.

I can see why cities would do this, but somewhere in all of those incentives, I feel I am going to pay for it.....mainly in price hikes to cover their higher labor costs.

1. If there  are price hikes and you don't like them, do not shop there.

2.  If a company could make a bigger profit while hiking their prices then they likely would have already have done it.

I don't see this as a McDonald's coming in to an area and paying all of their employees at least $15 an hour.  Although anyone would like  incentives, McDonnells does not need them and will not pay under that circumstance.  I think this is just a way of targeting certain higher end companies to bring a better job to an area. It is not forcing otherwise minimum-wage jobs to pay twice the normal rate. Companies simply will not do that as they will not make a profit. 

If I was on the city Council and wanted to bring a business into my city in order to improve or help the economy then I would rather a manufacturing company that will hire several skilled people rather than another 7-Eleven or Whataburger. I think that is what this is trying to accomplish. 

The title of the article posted and this thread are both misleading. San Marcus did not adopt a minimum wage. They only said that if we are going to give taxpayers money to a company to expand or come into the area, we want better companies not more minimum wage jobs. 

No one in the city is required to pay any increase in salaries. I agree on any attempt to raise the minimum wage for what should be those kinds of jobs.  This does not appear to be that kind of situation.  In a way it looks to be a form of legal discrimination. Anyone can apply for a city break however in order to get it you have to be a benefit to the city and a couple of minimum-wage jobs it's not that.