Petition to remove head coach

Scatright

My thought, independent of whether or not I agree with the protesters, is that I wholeheartedly support their right to protest - a long-standing protection afforded by the U.S. and Texas constitutions.  Obviously, the protesters's feelings and beliefs are important and strong enough that they resulted in the online petition.  What may be important to them may not be important to me, and what may be important to me may not be important to them. That's what makes America great...the ability for each of us to decide what's important enough to protest.  In addition, I wholeheartedly support the Coach/AD's right to administrate and coach his teams as he sees fit.  When all is said and done, the Board of Trustees will act, or not act, in the best interest of H-D ISD.   

3 hours ago, Scatright said:

https://www.change.org/p/hull-daisetta-school-board-the-citizens-of-the-hdisd-would-like-a-new-head-coach-athletic-director-for-2016-season/c

I ran across this today and wanted to get your guys thoughts. To me, it's one of the most tasteless things I've seen in a long time, but I am curious to hear others opinions. Let me know what you think.

Very tasteless. Go address him with any concerns, or take those problems to the next school board meeting and see what can be done.

Ive been saying for years, those kids deserve better at HD. Come on down 5-6 miles to a school that will let you play and provide you with a great education. If you don't like blue and gold go wear black and gold. Ok, that's my own agenda and old but really though.

Good luck Bobcats.

8 minutes ago, MossHill2 said:

Very tasteless. Go address him with any concerns, or take those problems to the next school board meeting and see what can be done.

Ive been saying for years, those kids deserve better at HD. Come on down 5-6 miles to a school that will let you play and provide you with a great education. If you don't like blue and gold go wear black and gold. Ok, that's my own agenda and old but really though.

Good luck Bobcats.

The best part is that it was created anonymously, and is being promoted by an anonymous facebook page with the moniker "John Smith". This fact alone leads me to believe that no one has gone to a school board meeting to try and do things the right way.

Even funnier is that each post is being liked by a former HD head coach from the 1980's, who lots of people are trying to get to come back. It's truly pathetic.

Hopefully, it will all come out in the wash; however, I find it "interesting" that we can so strongly "suggest" what they should have or not done.  For example, I would imagine most school districts have a manual or policy to address procedural requirements for initiating complaints or grievances to the Board.  Although I have no idea what the protesters are thinking or how they will be proceeding, it could be part of their protest to have a completed petition before deciding whether or not to initiate a formal complaint to the Board and/or whether or not to attach a copy of the petition to the complaint.  Surely, a petition alone is meaningless, and should those who are responsible for initiating it fail to come forward to present it, the petition will not only be meaningless, but ineffective and a waste of time. 

1 hour ago, Hoopster-007 said:

Hopefully, it will all come out in the wash; however, I find it "interesting" that we can so strongly "suggest" what they should have or not done.  For example, I would imagine most school districts have a manual or policy to address procedural requirements for initiating complaints or grievances to the Board.  Although I have no idea what the protesters are thinking or how they will be proceeding, it could be part of their protest to have a completed petition before deciding whether or not to initiate a formal complaint to the Board and/or whether or not to attach a copy of the petition to the complaint.  Surely, a petition alone is meaningless, and should those who are responsible for initiating it fail to come forward to present it, the petition will not only be meaningless, but ineffective and a waste of time. 

Well, I will just put myself in the shoes of a HD ISD board member to illustrate what I am talking about.  If I am pointed to an online petition which is started by a "Bob Bobcat" and includes signatures by a "Buford Justice" as well as signatures from folks in Liberty (which I don't believe is in the HDISD boundaries), as well as Bridge City and Orange (which I KNOW are not within the HDISD boundaries), I don't even bother to ask that the matter for which the petition is started, regardless of the matter, be set on the meeting agenda.

Again, no problem with the folks expressing their views, but for it to be done in this matter makes it appear that those that are seeking change really don't take it seriously, so why should the school board?

57 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Well, I will just put myself in the shoes of a HD ISD board member to illustrate what I am talking about.  If I am pointed to an online petition which is started by a "Bob Bobcat" and includes signatures by a "Buford Justice" as well as signatures from folks in Liberty (which I don't believe is in the HDISD boundaries), as well as Bridge City and Orange (which I KNOW are not within the HDISD boundaries), I don't even bother to ask that the matter for which the petition is started, regardless of the matter, be set on the meeting agenda.

Again, no problem with the folks expressing their views, but for it to be done in this matter makes it appear that those that are seeking change really don't take it seriously, so why should the school board?

Indeed, you may put yourself in the shoes of a HD ISD Board member to illustrate what you are talking about.  Fortunately, the real board member will have other Board members and/or the Attorney for the District to perhaps proceed with a bit more caution.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were your Attorney, I would caution you about: "I don't even bother to ask that the matter for which the petition is started, regardless of the matter, be set on the meeting agenda."  Also, hypothetically speaking, if I were your Attorney, I would caution you about creating the appearance of any form of retaliation in regards to the protesters because it could open a new can of worms that may give merit to that which had previously been without merit.  Finally, hypothetically speaking, if I were your Attorney, I would caution you about not taking seriously any and all complaints, at least publicly.  

Okay, counsel.  Does the above petition meet state law for a proper petition to have the matter heard in open forum?

Counsel, has anyone spoken on this matter during our regular meetings which should give us concern that this is an issue?

Counsel, can you verify that any of the signatories of this online petition are actually residents within the H-D ISD?

Counsel, why should I take up valuable board meeting time to address concerns of a petition whose signatories, based on the little information provided, are either in the Liberty ISD or in Orange County?

Counsel, has the petition in its form stated any legally defensible reason for which we could legally void this coach's contract so that we do not have to buy it out or defend ourselves against a wrongful termination lawsuit, both of which would result in considerable cost to this district which would then result in higher taxes for residents of the district or decreased services to the students in this district in order to defray such considerable costs?

4 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Okay, counsel.  Does the above petition meet state law for a proper petition to have the matter heard in open forum?

Counsel, has anyone spoken on this matter during our regular meetings which should give us concern that this is an issue?

Counsel, can you verify that any of the signatories of this online petition are actually residents within the H-D ISD?

Counsel, why should I take up valuable board meeting time to address concerns of a petition whose signatories, based on the little information provided, are either in the Liberty ISD or in Orange County?

Counsel, has the petition in its form stated any legally defensible reason for which we could legally void this coach's contract so that we do not have to buy it out or defend ourselves against a wrongful termination lawsuit, both of which would result in considerable cost to this district which would then result in higher taxes for residents of the district or decreased services to the students in this district in order to defray such considerable costs?

Counsel? Please forgive me....I must have stayed at the Holiday Inn.  :-)  Interesting that you have these legal questions, but "would not bother to ask that the matter be set on the meeting agenda?"  Although your questions are amusing, I think it best I leave them with you and take no issue with you placing yourself in whoever's shoes you find necessary. Again, please forgive me.