Front-runner status challenged? Polls show Clinton trailing Sanders in Iowa, NH

LumRaiderFan

I know that both sides exploit any political advantage. But let's look at the elections since Bill Clinton first ran.

Clinton beat sitting president G H W Bush who was 68. Then he beat Bob Dole at 73. When young Obama ran in his first election in 2004, it was the same thing with 68 year old John McCain. In all of those elections I heard it many times, the GOP was the party of stodgy old white guys. That was not like the Democratic party with the young vibrant 46 year old Bill Clinton or the 43 year old Obama in 2004. The party of youth and the young vote was taking over.

Well, here we are in 2015 and the front runner still (at the moment) is Hillary Clinton who is a relative youngster with the Democrat possibles at 67. We have what appears to be her most serious challenge with Bernie Sanders at 74 (remembering that the Dems said that Reagan was "too old" when he ran at 69). The one that many people seem to want to jump in to save the election is  Biden at 73. The other real serious contender like Biden also hasn't jumped in but many far lefters want Elizabeth (well, I really thought I Native America) Warren who is almost the same age at 66. Of course there is 52 year old Martin O'Malley but I think that about 95% of the Democrat voters will say, "Martin who?". 

Compare that against Marco Rubio at 44, Ted Cruz at 44, Chris Christie at 53, Bobby Jindal at 44, Rand Paul at 52, Rick Santorum at 57 and Scott Walker at 47. Of course the GOP might opt for an almost youngster (compared to the Dems field) of Carly Fiorina just turned 61, or the older Ben Carson at 63 or Don Trump at 69. They have the option for a lot younger candidate if they wish and I suspect will eventually win. When the candidates start dropping (which has already started), more of the establishment vote will start pulling away from Trump, Carson or Fiorina. Even if not, two of those three are in their early 60's.

I am assuming that the Dems will not bring up old out of touch candidates in this election. At least the Dems have updated a bit. They are not the party of stodgy old white guys, now they can add stodgy old women.