Baylor situation

"Ken Starr tried to impeach a president for a lesser lie. He should have no problem firing a football coach.......but he won't. 

tOSU fired a MNC winning coach for trying to cover up free tattoos. Baylor has way more ammo to fire their coach...but they won't."

Baylor Bold.

It's being reported that the jury recommended 8 years and the judge cut the sentence to 180 days.  

His name- Judge Matt Johnson, Baylor Class of '86

This judge needs to be made to vacate the bench.  He has created a precedent when he oversees similar cases.  He has set himself up for a lot of trouble in the future.

Ive defended Briles in the past. He gotta go now if he really knew what was up from Peterson. Peterson wouldn't lie about this. Baylor may lose recruits over this. 

Both programs are at fault here.  I get the feeling Peterson told Briles personally what was up with this kid. He then signed off on the transfer request and allowed the kid to leave. Headache gone. 

Happens all the time even at the high school level.  Not necessarily involving this degree of misconduct, but it does happen to a lesser extent.

Bottom line, if you don't want fleas, don't lay with dogs.

It's being reported that the jury recommended 8 years and the judge cut the sentence to 180 days.  

His name- Judge Matt Johnson, Baylor Class of '86

This is incorrect. A judge cannot take an 8 year sentence and turn it into probation like that. The jury sentenced him to 8 years and probated it (meaning 8 years probation). The judge then upped it to 10 years probation with 180 days of jail time. Like a lot things in this case one thing is being reported, then another thing is being said, few know what actually happened. What we do know is the kid raped some poor girl, he shouldve gotten more than what he did, but at least they did find him guilty of it.

Both programs are at fault here.  I get the feeling Peterson told Briles personally what was up with this kid. He then signed off on the transfer request and allowed the kid to leave. Headache gone. 

Happens all the time even at the high school level.  Not necessarily involving this degree of misconduct, but it does happen to a lesser extent.

Bottom line, if you don't want fleas, don't lay with dogs.

It is possible that neither of them knew of the violence with his ex girlfriend. She did testify during the rape trial that she had never reported to police Unless if she lied under oath I would take that to mean no one else knew.

Boise did know that he had punched out a window when he was drunk. Stupid, yet not a crime or anywhere close to punching a woman. 

Edited by sahen

It is possible that neither of them knew of the violence with his ex girlfriend. She did testify during the rape trial that she had never reported or told anyone of the violence. Unless if she lied under oath I would take that to mean no one else knew.

Boise did know that he had punched out a window when he was drunk. Stupid, yet not a crime or anywhere close to punching a woman. 

That's what I'm saying. When a player wants to come to your school, you ask questions. I assume Peterson told Briles what he knew and still signed a clean transfer. Maybe that included domestic violence,  maybe not. It did include details about insubordination,  missing practice,  etc... none of which appear on the transfer form, but all red flags IMO.

That's what I'm saying. When a player wants to come to your school, you ask questions. I assume Peterson told Briles what he knew and still signed a clean transfer. Maybe that included domestic violence,  maybe not. It did include details about insubordination,  missing practice,  etc... none of which appear on the transfer form, but all red flags IMO.

Guys get second chances all over college football everyday. Some workout, some don't, and a few blow up in your face. This obviously blew up in his face. What makes it a nightmare is some other person suffered because of it instead of a kid just messing up their own life. If Briles knew about the domestic abuse then he should flat out be fired, no reason for that trash to play anywhere. Personally, I doubt Briles knew about the abuse, but he did say he knew about the other stuff. They have had success taking second chances (Phil Taylor, Shawn Oakman, Lache Seastrunk) and they hadn't caused any issues. They obviously need to rethink their policy on taking them now though. 

This judge needs to be made to vacate the bench.  He has created a precedent when he oversees similar cases.  He has set himself up for a lot of trouble in the future.

As stated above, the defense elected for the jury to assess the punishment, which they did.  Once they decided to probate his sentence, the judge gave him the maximum jail time he could, which was 180 days in county jail as a "condition of his probation."   This is the most jail time a judge can assess in a probation case in this state.  

This was misstated or misreported in a lot of outlets so you read it correctly.  Feel bad for the judge getting a bad rap when he threw everything he could at the scumbag.  But I suppose this is what happens when you have sports media covering legal issues. 

I'm gonna say something that most people on here are not going to agree with but it is my area so I do have insight. 

The fact that this case went to trial is a win. Around that part of Texas rapes happen way too often involving high school and college students. You don't hear about because barely ever is anything done. I know of an incident where two girls were raped and everyone in the county knew they were. The girls eventually moved a couple of months later so nothing was done. It was forgotten because of all the people that would have been investigated and lose their jobs. That is the mentality up there. This was a profile case. Maybe now more will be done but most likely not. 

As for the judge, there is a history with that campus and rape that goes back decades. 

Finally on the issue of Briles and Petersen nobody knows exactly what was said between them. If Briles did know the exact detail than it is bad. However, I do think that a West Texas to the bone man like him if he heard about any man hurting a woman would say that man is not allowed anywhere near the program. I do think though that Baylor athletics need to be a little more transparent with their suspensions. 

Just my thoughts. 

Edited by RaiderRed30

Guys get second chances all over college football everyday. Some workout, some don't, and a few blow up in your face. This obviously blew up in his face. What makes it a nightmare is some other person suffered because of it instead of a kid just messing up their own life. If Briles knew about the domestic abuse then he should flat out be fired, no reason for that trash to play anywhere. Personally, I doubt Briles knew about the abuse, but he did say he knew about the other stuff. They have had success taking second chances (Phil Taylor, Shawn Oakman, Lache Seastrunk) and they hadn't caused any issues. They obviously need to rethink their policy on taking them now though. 

IF the kid was deserving of a "second chance", then Boise St and Peterson should have given him one. I get the impression he was out of chancs. 

IF the kid was deserving of a "second chance", then Boise St and Peterson should have given him one. I get the impression he was out of chancs. 

By all accounts Peterson called Briles and told him about the kid. There was even an article when Uwacheku was suspended from Boise with Peterson saying he expected the kid to play for him the next fall before he transferred.

This is the hidden content, please

He wasn't kicked completely off of Boise's team. He was suspended from practice in the spring with the expectation he would be back. He would have had his second chance at Boise except Peterson and Uwacheku approached Baylor about a transfer on the grounds of him being depressed, homesick, and suicidal. 

Baylor athletics need to be a little more transparent with their suspensions. 

The rest of your statement I know nothing about. If you say there are cases that aren't tried in that area, swept under the rug, and you live there then maybe you need to get out there and do something about it. I mean you can vote for judges, the DA, sheriffs, and all....

Your final comment I quoted, what do you want Baylor athletics to do? You want them to comment on their players legal situations so you get your news sooner? Pretty sure that is illegal and they will be slammed with violating privacy laws. Not to mention the judge put a gag order on this case which is the main reason very little was heard about this until the conviction happened the other day. 

Edited by sahen

So glad we didn't hire Briles.  He never would have survived this.  I can't imagine he will there either, but it is Baylor so I won't be shocked.  Next job back for an ISD?

Do I understand you to be saying; "If Briles was the coach at Texas and did this, he'd be fired."? Pretty strong statement, not sure backed by facts. 

Do I understand you to be saying; "If Briles was the coach at Texas and did this, he'd be fired."? Pretty strong statement, not sure backed by facts. 

first of all, welcome back!

Secondly, I am saying I don't think he would survive this in Austin, even though it would have happened at his former school.