FOOTBALL BACK AT LAMAR?

Maybe I am reading this wrong. Are you saying that Lamar was a top 25 1-AA football team a few times back in the late 80's? Exactly when is it that the "record was good" in the late 80's?

This is from a New York Times article from December 15, 1989:

Lamar University Drops Football

The Lamar University board of regents today voted to discontinue the school's football program, citing projected losses of half a million dollars over the next three seasons.

The Lamar University board of regents today voted to discontinue the school's football program, citing projected losses of half a million dollars over the next three seasons.

The board's vote was 5-4 to discontinue football at the school, which has competed as a National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I-AA independent the past three years. The football program lost $4.3 million over the past decade, all losing seasons on the field except this year's 5-5 finish under Coach Ray Alborn.

This is the hidden content, please

Okay, so in the last decade of Lamar football they had all losing seasons except a 5-5 finish in their last year.  Not a single winning season in the 80's and yet several times Lamar was a top 25 team? It must not have taken much to be in the top 25 back then.

You are correct, how quickly we forget.. or in your case, just make it up.

Let me give you an example. One year, in the 80's, LU started the season 3-0. LU was ranked 11th in the nation. Then the wheels came off. This happen 2-3 times in the 80's.

Lamar packed the stadium before going I-AA. I think this is the key to success for LU. Long term SETX will not support LU playing SFA and SHSU. Lamar needs to play I-A and recruit 65% of the team from SETX and Houston. Also luring Todd Dodge UNT to Beaumont would get a packed stadium.

First lets get the team...

Let's also see what Dodge can do at UNT. I think he'll do well there, but you never really know. LU would certainly have to pour in a ton of money just to promote the product well enough to meet the 15,000 average attendance requirement for home games. Some of the bigger high schools in the area drew at least as well in those days.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124