West Hardin, Big Sandy set to vie for title

http://zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17792799&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=583964&rfi=6

West Hardin, Big Sandy set to vie for title

The West Hardin boys basketball team must take care of Big Sandy at home if it wants any chance at winning the District 24-A title.

"It's going to be our biggest game of the year," said West Hardin coach Kent Fuller. "Coach (Kevin) Foster does a good job with his team and its going to be a tough game."

West Hardin, which is ranked No. 13 in the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches Class A poll, is scheduled to play No. 11 Big Sandy at 7:30 p.m. Friday in their second district game of the season.

Big Sandy beat West Hardin 61-45 in the teams' first meeting at the Wildcats' gym.

"We won 17 games before we lost to Big Sandy," Fuller said. "It was a tough loss, but we hope to pull out a win at home."

Big Sandy (21-6) holds sole possession of first place in district at 9-0. West Hardin is in second place at 8-1. If West Hardin wins, the Oilers and Big Sandy will be tied for first place in district. If both teams win their remaining district games, the two will play a district playoff game for the top two playoff seeds.

"I think in order to beat Big Sandy we have to do all the little things right," Fuller said. "We have to take care of the ball and make our free throws. Big Sandy is a well coached team so we have to come out ready to play."

Despite winning the game by 16 points the first time, some thought Big Sandy won in part because West Hardin's best player didn't play at a 100 percent. Brandon Letsinger suffered from an injured wrist at the time and didn't enter the game until late in the first quarter.

The senior guard averages 22 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists this season for the Oilers.

"Right now everybody is healthy," Fuller said. "That is a plus for us because this is our last shot at a district title."

Tyler Copeland, Zach Simmons and Jared Tomlinson round out the returning starters from last season's team.

"We have really good guard play on this team," Fuller said. "The guards lead this team. I think we need to be a little more consistent with our post play. When we play well at both positions we win our games."

West Hardin, which didn't make the playoffs last year, went 20-11 overall and 3-7 in District 24-2A play. The Oilers hope the move to Class A will help their chances at a state title this year.

"Our goal is to go to Austin," Fuller said. "We set our goals high and we believe we can achieve them."

Guest allsportsfan

WWII actually.

Mustang, WAKE UP, WAKE UP!  YOU ARE SLEEPING IN CLASS AGAIN AND having a bad dream.

No way BS will win by 20. WH would have to lay down for that to happen.

I think WH by 10 at home.

Good Luck Oilers !!!!!!!!  Remember 1 Goal ***** 12 Strong********

I truly believe that you have the heart and the will to win this game.  I have the privilege, no the pleasure of knowing each and everyone of you guys, and it has truly been an awesome experience watching you play.  The fans are behind you 100% and we will be there tomorrow night to show it. People are no longer saying West who?  They are proudly saying WEST HARDIN OILERS !!!!!!!!! :) 

Friday night match up between WH & BS will be very good game.  After watching both teams play, I feel they are very talented, evenly matched, well coached and move up & down the court very well.  Everyone on this message board will have to agree that the home team will have the advantage in this game.  It could go either way tomorrow night, I just wish I could be there to watch it.  Good Luck to both teams, tomorrow night and in the playoffs.  I really enjoy watching good basketball and each time I've seen both teams play they were first class.  Parents & fans should be proud. 

Represent the district well!!!!!!!!!!

Guest coachhooker

if i didnt have to go to spurger tomorrow for our game i wouldrun over and watch this game, i kinda of want to see WH win so they have to play another game, I got to play in a game like this for the baseball district title when I was in high school and it felt more like a state championship game than a 3rd game for the district title.  goodluck to both teams and i hope they get a chance to play again for the region title. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    praise086
    Newest Member
    praise086

• Yeah, like I said semi-white.  
    • How did I prove your point by blowing up you evidence that he’s racist? You keep hammering away at Trump, but I’m done with this fruitless exchange.
    • I'll have to see if it was dismissed, your claim was he's o ly been labeled a racist since running for office... u yourself just contradicted that! Thanks for proving my point, been a racist since the 70's
    • You ever read a dictionary? Words can have multiple meanings depending on context. They can be nouns, verbs, or adjectives depending on how they’re used. Believe what you will. We all do that, anyway.
    • I don't believe in changing the definition of a word because a group does not like it. That makes me laugh honestly.....especially the "code word" comments.....because I'm white as they come (although I have A LOT of cajun blood)....and no one, not one person has gave me the "code word" handbook of racist phrases and words. I had no idea that when a person uses the OK hand gesture (and I grew up on the little rascals) it was racist until a black person posted about it.......common sense would be that white people signally to other white people would both know what the gesture means, not the people excluded.....
  • Topics