obama Wants To Take Over The Internet...

smitty

This is hardly a "help the poor people who can't afford Internet" topic. It's more like.. I already pay $150/month for cable/internet at X speeds. When i open Netflix, I better be getting X speeds making my movie in HD (as intended) rather than 420p and constant buffering. ISPs do this on purpose.

You paid for a service. You deserve the right to this service.

I'm not a fan of equal. .. just to be equal. I don't mind paying for what I get/have and don't think in the name of fairness that others. ...who can't afford. ... for whatever reason. ... should be able to. .. just get. ... what I've worked hard and made good choices to have....I do understand that sometimes it means I pay what some think is outrageous for these privileges. .... but that's OK with me. ...but I can see. .. and understand why Obama is a supporter of this. ... and why conservatives are not. .. not to mention just the fact that government is getting involved. .... like someone else said. ... even in the name of good. ... government involvement will turn out bad.

Kinda like health care. ....imo. the same group said insurance providers had to offer certain things. .. if your provider wasn't providing it your policy was canceled. ... even though we were told you could keep it if you liked it. ... that part was also done because they. .... the government decided we weren't getting what we paid for. .... see how that's turning out. ....I pay even more. ... and quite certain my benefits didn't increase to the same value as my premium/deductible increase......

This is hardly a "help the poor people who can't afford Internet" topic. It's more like.. I already pay $150/month for cable/internet at X speeds. When i open Netflix, I better be getting X speeds making my movie in HD (as intended) rather than 420p and constant buffering. ISPs do this on purpose.

You paid for a service. You deserve the right to this service.

yet it is about poor people/businesses. I read at least in part that some sites are faster because some sites pay the ISPs a fee for said speed. ..or bandwidth... hence the name. ...they are wanting to nuetralize that difference. ...regardless of who you are. .. what the business pays.
..etc..... not to mention I do pay for faster service. .. and the not so rich pays for lesser service. ....

the only part I agree with you on is. ...I should get wrist I pay for. ... however.... if the ratio between the high speed and lower speed is the same. ... it doesn't really matter. ...

example. ... if you pay $10 for 50mph and get 25mph and I pay $20 for 100mph and get 50mph.... even though both are only getting half of stated speed. .. it's still relative to what we pay for.

I used mph cause I don't know Internet speed measurement

Your mph example isn't the greatest. Just because we're both getting shorthanded doesn't make it okay.

Yes, costs will probably increase. But it always has and always will, just like healthcare. Thats why I'm on the fence about this issue.

then your tiebreaker should be ....anything government controled ..sucks....which ultimately means government growth..... also sucks. ... just like the NEW Healthcare.... really really sucks

Not necessarily, just obamacare. A simpler fix to our healthcare cost issues would've been going to a single payer system like Canada. Or just expanding the age range for Medicare.

then your tiebreaker should be ....anything government controled ..sucks....which ultimately means government growth..... also sucks. ... just like the NEW Healthcare.... really really sucks

Sure, Medicare should be expanded to all age ranges. If you're not happy with your services then you can purchase additional insurance.
Tough concept to understand, but I beleive in you.

If medicare and SS went away tomorrow I would be a happy camper.

I would give up all the years I have paid in if I could stop paying right now.

I can provide my own social security and my own medical care...no fed gov needed.

I am sure that is a concept you won't understand.

You have fun trying to afford health insurance when you're 70 years old and your body is increasingly falling apart. Good luck.

If medicare and SS went away tomorrow I would be a happy camper.
I would give up all the years I have paid in if I could stop paying right now.
I can provide my own social security and my own medical care...no fed gov needed.
I am sure that is a concept you won't understand.

here is truely a noval idea. ... if you can't afford it. ... you don't get it. ... healthcare in particular is only expensive because even without Obamacare.... we were paying for the unissued. ..as bad as that was. ...ACA is worse. .my taxes didn't go down and my premiums/deductible went up. ... and no better coverage. ....so stupidly in this country is rewarded in the name of fairness and compassion. ....you'd be surprised what people can do. .. when they have to. .. and not handed to them. ....

and I'm not real interested in the what if it were your family. ... or if it were me. ... or the old. .. or the disabled. Or...or...or... if people KNEW.... the only way to live was to provide. .insert here. .. money. .. healthcare etc. .... they would. .. all those cell phones. .. electronics.... shoes. ... cars. ... wouldn't be so important anymore

http://economixcomix.com/home/net-neutrality/

OK. ... after much more studying... and questioning of people that truly understand. ...I have to change my position.... at least for me this link helps me "get it"....

I'm sure there is some underlying negative. .. add there always is when government gets involved. ... And at the consumer level. .. but in the bigger picture of ISPs control. ...I agree. ... something needed to be done. ... now let's see the outcome. ... for better. .. for worse

Why? What was wrong that a free market approach couldn't fix without the fascists taking it over???

I agreed that the government being involved is a slippery slope. ... but if you read through the entire cartoon you'll see why. ... it's no different than the so called state run media so many complain about. .... pick and choose their favorites then report accordingly. .. rather than report the actual news. .... especially since the 2 ISP giants have now combined. ... if they so choose. .. they could in essence shut down any site they don't want you to see. ... hence the CNN /FOX example. .... or basically shut down Netflix while starting their own like company. ... yet quality would not have any bearing. ... only control through ISP providers.....

maybe the answer should be not to allow the monopoly. ... which there are already laws prohibiting

http://economixcomix.com/home/net-neutrality/

OK. ... after much more studying... and questioning of people that truly understand. ...I have to change my position.... at least for me this link helps me "get it"....

I'm sure there is some underlying negative. .. add there always is when government gets involved. ... And at the consumer level. .. but in the bigger picture of ISPs control. ...I agree. ... something needed to be done. ... now let's see the outcome. ... for better. .. for worse

The article describes how the big bad businesses will pick and choose content, and says that the government will not allow this. What's to stop the government from picking and choosing content through regulation. When a business engages in this practice, a consumer can simply drop them and choose another ISP. (The article failed to mention that DishNet and DirecTV are available just about anywhere. Their services have limitations and we definitely need more competition.) But if government starts engaging in this practice (and they will), then the consumer loses. I think the best route would be to keep ISPs from throttling, but not to put the internet under Title II. Once under Title II, the internet belongs to the government. Don't get me wrong. I don't think that all of a sudden the internet in the US will resemble China, but a totally free and open internet will be something we can only tell our grandchildren about.

Which is why I said in post #6, the consumer gets screwed either way. This isn't a black and white issue. Kudos to the guys willing/capable of using their brains rather than scanning article headlines for key words and choosing their stance on the spot.

The article describes how the big bad businesses will pick and choose content, and says that the government will not allow this. What's to stop the government from picking and choosing content through regulation. When a business engages in this practice, a consumer can simply drop them and choose another ISP. (The article failed to mention that DishNet and DirecTV are available just about anywhere. Their services have limitations and we definitely need more competition.) But if government starts engaging in this practice (and they will), then the consumer loses. I think the best route would be to keep ISPs from throttling, but not to put the internet under Title II. Once under Title II, the internet belongs to the government. Don't get me wrong. I don't think that all of a sudden the internet in the US will resemble China, but a totally free and open internet will be something we can only tell our grandchildren about.

. .... pick and choose their favorites then report accordingly. .. rather than report the actual news. .... especially since the 2 ISP giants have now combined. ... if they so choose. .. they could in essence shut down any site they don't want you to see. ... 

Ever heard of the "Fairness Doctrine".....what do you think the fascists are going to do now?? You don't think they are going to stop HERE do you??? When has government EVER stopped a power grab once it has begun???? 

Which is why I said in post #6, the consumer gets screwed either way. This isn't a black and white issue. Kudos to the guys willing/capable of using their brains rather than scanning article headlines for key words and choosing their stance on the spot.

hence my flip flopping and mention of government involvement and negatives for the consumer. ... is it possible to better understand the situation ... yet be more confused as to how I feel about an approach toward a solution. .... maybe I'll just take up residence on the fence with you. ...