MISS STATE PULLS SCHOLARSHIP OFFER

CougarCal

Collegiate athletics is a very tough battlefield. This is terrible for Mississippi State's recruiting in Texas though. Texas HS football is a brotherhood of a different type. And coaches talk. Rest assured this will be in the back of the mind of every coach who deals with Miss. State recruiting their kids.

Im sure he will be allright , although he maybe heartbroken he has a playoff game this weekend and a chance to advance toward a state championship, as well as graduating early . Im sure some other schools will look to offer him a scholarship, but this is one of the things that happens in the adult world on a daily basis . Lies , deception and broken promises are a part of life he will be faced with . unfortunately its with a 17-18 year old kid and its sad but that just shows you how some of these college coaches aint !!! With a strong family base he can learn from this and move on with his young life and hopefully becomes a successful young man in whatever he decides to do, Good luck to the young man .

They can do that, but the kids can't change their minds. Screw these tactics they use like this.

Not true. The schools are bound by a verbal commitment more than the player. The player has until he signs his LOI to sign with whoever he chooses.

This kid stuck with Miss St., but Miss St changed thier scholarship to a "gray shirt" which is no financial aide to the athlete. A loop hole to the commitment aspect of the verbal. Basically he would be a preferred walk on with a "promise" of financial aide the next year.

Mullen is just doing what every other douche bag coach does. Karma is a beech.

He never had the chance to sign the LOI because Mullen had convinced him to graduate early. I don't really know how that works with the early graduation. Schools pull offers all of the time, never heard of them being bound by a verbal commitment. I just think talking a kid in to graduating early and then backing out is wrong.

There was an ESPN story about recruiting in the SEC a couple of years ago where several schools were offering 40-45 scholarships when they had 20-25 available then they pull the rug. Just the brutal reality, I wish the young man luck, he'll end up in a better place.

Schools have to offer so many scholarships because you're not going to get a commitment out of every offer...most of the time when a kid has his offer pulled its due to not being committed and the school getting commitments from enough players to fill that position. The issue here is the kid was committed and had been for sometime

Look up the term oversigning and SEC. I misspoke when I said offered. Of course they have to offer more because everyone is not going to sign.

Yes that is another issue that might be rearing its head here...right now Miss St. has 30 commits...and it's still almost 2 1/2 months until signing day...just imagine if they stay in the top 4, make the CFP, and possibly win the whole dang thing...would make for and interesting situation for MSU...but Mullin may be decorating his office in Gainsville by NSD and not have to worry about recruiting Texas any more

Yes that is another issue that might be rearing its head here...right now Miss St. has 30 commits...and it's still almost 2 1/2 months until signing day...just imagine if they stay in the top 4, make the CFP, and possibly win the whole dang thing...would make for and interesting situation for MSU...but Mullin may be decorating his office in Gainsville by NSD and not have to worry about recruiting Texas any more

I highly doubt Mullin would go back to Florida.