Houston City Attorney Subpoenas Pastors' Sermons in Gay Rights Ordinance Case

PN-G bamatex

I don't see how it can. Honestly, I don't see how it's necessary for the case to proceed. This is a lawsuit over whether a petition to put a measure on the ballot was improperly dismissed on the grounds that it didn't contain enough signatures. The content of a series of sermons has no bearing on whether that's the case. If this was a lawsuit over the portion of the tax code dealing with religious entities and their prohibitions on political speech from the pulpit, I could see the relevance. Absent that, this is a gross misuse of the city attorney's powers.

Harris County, the most populous county in the state of Texas, only went for Obama in 2012 by about a thousand votes. When I consider that with everything that Annise Parker and the Houston city council have done in mind, I'm forced to wonder if Houston's city elections are really reflecting the will of the people.

This HERO mess is a bad ordinance. It is bad for taxpayers, businesses and most of the general public. Tolerance is one thing... This whole mess is intolerable! I do hope the good people of Houston recognize this for what it is and right this wrong.

I think that they recognized it before the ordinance was enacted and tried to rectify it so in my opinion, the people know that it is not right.