Baytown, BH, Dayton, Crosby Junior High District

John Blutarsky

It's that time again Ladies and Gents. How are your junor high football teams looking after the first couple of practices. I can tell you The Gentry Mustangs have all their horses back in the stable and are ready to make a run at another district title. Hopefully we will have sole posession this year. I have one question for you BH folk. Now that you are split into two schools, which looks to be the stronger? North or South?

I have boys on both the 7th and 8th grade teams at Gentry. The 8th grade is stacked with talent with the best RB in the district and a QB with a cannon for an arm. They have a lot of speed at the skill positions. The kids to watch are rb/lb Hill, qb/lb Morales, wr/rb/lb C. Williams, te/de/lb D. Williams, and a couple of the linemen whose names escape me. I'm not real familliar with the 7th grade yet. They do have a pretty good rb but I'm hearing he may play qb. I do know that they are undersized and may struggle this year.

Oh we'll see BH, Dayton, and Crosby on here soon. I'd like to hear from some of the BH parents concerning which of the two schools will be stronger. We start with BH South right off the bat. BH was the only team Gentry lost to last year in 7th. Also, I like the fact that they're playing on the highschool fields but don't like the fact that all the teams will be playing on the same night. With one boy in 7th and one in 8th I'm going to be missing some games. I know my older boy will be on A team which will have the later game but not sure which team my 7th grader is gonna make. If he's on B team I'll be able to make both games when they're playing in Baytown.

With Barbers Hill splitting up into 2 schools, it will be tougher to compete, but it will give more kids an opportunity to get some field time.  The talent is reasonably split for both the 8th grade level.  7th Grade should also be reasonably even, though it is hard to tell until you have seen them play.

Gentry will beat BH north and south this year if ya'll run the big back all game. BH 8th will struggle to be .500 at both schools. Gentry would've probably won last year if they would have stuck to the run game instead of trying to throw long passes IMO. To answer your question, I think BH North 8th has the slight edge between the two of them.

My son said he had heard form a couple of BH kids that he played baseball with that the North team retained a larger portion of the starters and should be the stronger team. What worries me is the size of your O line. We didn't stop your running game til late in the game after the coach made some personnel changes. You know I'm suprised the Crosby and Dayton crowd hasn't made their way here yet. I guess their too busy gouging each others eyes out in the highschool fb thread. That or their just a little slower over there. I mean think about it, we just had a brand new Wal-mart oen up in the BH / Baytown area and it's just another day. If it had been Crosby or Dayton, they would have shut down the schools ansd had a parade. :D

Man i cant wait.  My boy made 7th A team at Highlands. Still not sure how this team will come together though. 

Congrats to him. My younger boy will be on the 7B team which is best for him since it's his first year to play tackle. I told him he's still learning and will have a better chance to make the A team next year.

Finally Jr. High football week is here. Look forward to a great season and will enjoy watching the kids play. Good luck to everyone. Hopefully, we can keep this thread a little more sane than the high school threads. Some of those people need to take up a hobby of some sort, fishing, golf, hunting or underwater basket weaving. No predictions here, just want good clean competitive games. Keepin it Real!!!

My son said he had heard form a couple of BH kids that he played baseball with that the North team retained a larger portion of the starters and should be the stronger team. What worries me is the size of your O line. We didn't stop your running game til late in the game after the coach made some personnel changes. You know I'm suprised the Crosby and Dayton crowd hasn't made their way here yet. I guess their too busy gouging each others eyes out in the highschool fb thread. That or their just a little slower over there. I mean think about it, we just had a brand new Wal-mart oen up in the BH / Baytown area and it's just another day. If it had been Crosby or Dayton, they would have shut down the schools ansd had a parade. :D

Crosby has had a Wal-Mart since I moved there in '89. We were excited about the super Wal-Mart they built several years ago though. I'm not even sure people showed up to the groundbreaking of the new school behind Wal-Mart. Unlike schools in Baytown we're actually good at high school football which may be the reason people are more focused on that right now.

Well, if everyone stays healthy this year I think Crosby has a good chance to win district. Last year our qb got hurt against Gentry and was out for the season and the little cubs were never the same. The trigger man is back and the summer weight program looked like it did a lot for the kids size and strength wise. Crosby has three or four horses and is huge on the line for an 8th grade squad.

Crosby opens with Cedar Bayou today at Sterling High School. This will be my young cub's 2nd year playing football so I'm hoping he plays closer to his athletic potential than he did last year. Mine will of course be wearing #14 this year and every other. I'm not sure what he's really supposed to be doing but he's playing receiver, defensive end, returning kicks and his coach told me he might be asked to play offensive tackle so I guess I'll just find out tomorrow.

Well, if everyone stays healthy this year I think Crosby has a good chance to win district. Last year our qb got hurt against Gentry and was out for the season and the little cubs were never the same. The trigger man is back and the summer weight program looked like it did a lot for the kids size and strength wise. Crosby has three or four horses and is huge on the line for an 8th grade squad.

Crosby opens with Cedar Bayou today at Sterling High School. This will be my young cub's 2nd year playing football so I'm hoping he plays closer to his athletic potential than he did last year. Mine will of course be wearing #14 this year and every other. I'm not sure what he's really supposed to be doing but he's playing receiver, defensive end, returning kicks and his coach told me he might be asked to play offensive tackle so I guess I'll just find out tomorrow.

Thats a interesting mix of positions, WR, DE, kick returner and may play tackle.  

Highlands 7A team played last night and we struggled. They played Baytown Jr and let me tell ya that team was very undisciplined. 1 kid thrown out in the 3rd quarter. He had been talking allot of mess from the beginning and in the 3rd he nearly ripped the QB's head off by the facemask. Cut him for a flip and then started mouthing the ref cause he got a flag. They tossed him and he proceeded to show his I wont say the word on here all the way to the parking lot where people had to go get him.  Big different I seen between the 2 teams was lack of toughness. Baytown Jr skilled players wanted to hit as where HJS looks scared. My boy started offense and defense for HJS. Didn't have to bad of a game in my opinion.

BYT JR  6

HJS        6

Thats a interesting mix of positions, WR, DE, kick returner and may play tackle.  

Highlands 7A team played last night and we struggled. They played Baytown Jr and let me tell ya that team was very undisciplined. 1 kid thrown out in the 3rd quarter. He had been talking allot of mess from the beginning and in the 3rd he nearly ripped the QB's head off by the facemask. Cut him for a flip and then started mouthing the ref cause he got a flag. They tossed him and he proceeded to show his I wont say the word on here all the way to the parking lot where people had to go get him.  Big different I seen between the 2 teams was lack of toughness. Baytown Jr skilled players wanted to hit as where HJS looks scared. My boy started offense and defense for HJS. Didn't have to bad of a game in my opinion.

BYT JR  6

HJS        6

Who won the B team game?

Crosby has had a Wal-Mart since I moved there in '89. We were excited about the super Wal-Mart they built several years ago though. I'm not even sure people showed up to the groundbreaking of the new school behind Wal-Mart. Unlike schools in Baytown we're actually good at high school football which may be the reason people are more focused on that right now.

I'm sure your right concerning Lee and GCM but Sterling's looking pretty salty so far this year, but let's see what they look like when they face better copmpetition.

Concerning 8th gr.Junior High football; Gentry v Crosby, Gentry v Dayton, and Crosby v Dayton will all be good games and should determine the district champ. One of the BH schools will probably factor into the equation as well.

Also don't overlook Cedar Bayou, I know they looked bad last year but they do have some good atheletes and the 8th grade coach is pretty sharp.

Good job last night by Gentry Junior High sweeping all four games against BHSouth. I was worried about the lack of size on the 7th grade teams but it looks like they have enough athletes to compenate for it.

Watching the 8A game, I'm sure both coaches will tell you that their teams did not play their best last night. BH had a few key fumbles deep in Gentry territory and Gentry's back up running backs fumbled twice late allowing BH to get back in the game. Then again it's the first game of the season, I'm sure both teams will get these things fixed and will improve as the season goes on.

One thing that irked me last night was BH turning the lights in the stadium off while our coach was still talking to the team. At least allow them to leave the field. I would have liked to get a picture of the scoreboard but they turned it off almost as soon as the clock hit 0:00, but I can undrstand that somewhat.