The Great Divide

NorthoftheBorder

I have been pondering the recent happenings and the actions taken by the owner/moderators related to the political forum.  I have always been one to try to understand the reasons behind things and peoples actions including my own. So the big quesion is why do we have such a "great divide" in all things politics?  We have become very polar in our "world view" and what we believe is the best way for our society to live and function and be governed.  This is spilling out in the posts that are taking place on this forum.  I am as guilty as the next guy in participating in exchanges that are less than professional and curteous. Comments are welcome as to other points of view as to why we have, more or less, been put into a form of time-out!

Hardcore conservatives and liberals have been brainwashed by their parties into thinking that their way is the only way. The staunchest of these groups go to the point of "defending" their side's belief at all costs, no matter how good a point the other side makes. At times, it's easier to resort to insults or changing the subject than it is to actually admit that the other guy made a good point or proved you wrong, and that's a common tactic on this site from people on both sides of the argument. Another mitigating factor is the sheer number of biased opinion pieces that are being passed off as factual in an attempt to create talking points. Again, people on both sides are guilty of posting misleading articles, which usually leads to one side rallying around the talking point, and the other side proving it false rather than discussing the point, which also leads to conflict. I much prefer general topics being introduced with discussion about the issue over fake news articles that are critical of one side or the other being used to misrepresent the truth.

I have been pondering the recent happenings and the actions taken by the owner/moderators related to the political forum.  I have always been one to try to understand the reasons behind things and peoples actions including my own. So the big quesion is why do we have such a "great divide" in all things politics?  We have become very polar in our "world view" and what we believe is the best way for our society to live and function and be governed.  This is spilling out in the posts that are taking place on this forum.  I am as guilty as the next guy in participating in exchanges that are less than professional and curteous. Comments are welcome as to other points of view as to why we have, more or less, been put into a form of time-out!

Participation and views are not the problem. 

Look at the title of this forum now, The Silly One Up Thread. 

When there are several threads a day which should be titled....

"Look At This Web Page Where I Found On A Slanted Political Site That Says Your Opinion Is Wrong". 

Or perhaps.....

"Hey (any name), How Would You Respond To THIS Political Website That Has An Opposing View From Yours"

That is not needed or wanted in this forum. There is no freedom of speech in a privately owned website. The public doesn't get to make the rules. There are hundreds of websites out there for such speech and people should feel free to use them. 

There is nothing wrong with not talking football or baseball all the time and a diversion is okay but when it becomes (like the current forum title) nothing but a sniping match, it is time to move on. Whether I or anyone else agrees, the owner and administration sets the rules. 

:)