PAISD looking at $195 million bond

Bigdog

TJ is a middle school. From what was told to me was that Woodrow was going to be sold to LSC-PA, dont know if that ever happened.

Last I had heard, LSCPA wanted Woodrow Wilson, but PAISD wasn't interested in selling it. They wanted to make it a performing arts center or something along those lines.

TJ is a middle school. From what was told to me was that Woodrow was going to be sold to LSC-PA, dont know if that ever happened.

LSCPA (I think it was LUPA then) made an offer through the state to buy Woodrow a few years ago. PAIISD was swimming in a few million dollars of a budget shortfall and LSCPA needed more room including a gym and performing arts center/theater. I think the state offered $4 million for the old school and would put quite a but of money into renovations to the old facility.

It was a one time take it or leave it offer and PAISD rejected it. I seem to remember a public outcry about a traditionally black neighborhood school being bought out by the college for other people. In any case, the offer was rejected and LSCPA used the money for the sale and renovation along with some donations to build the Performing Arts Center and the Parker Center, both of which are outstanding facilities. Woodrow meanwhile, sits empty after a bunch of money went into fixing it after Hurricane Rita. I have no clue what their future plans are for that vacant campus.

http://www.panews.com/local/x864263978/PAISD-hears-195-million-bond-proposal

When was the last bond?  When they built Memorial High?

Wasn't the PAISD on the verge of bankruptcy a few years ago?  If so, now they want to be trusted with 195 Million.  More power to them.  Mat said at no cost to the taxpayer.  Well, somebody has to pay for it.  Whomever that is  -- let the buyer beware.

Wasn't the PAISD on the verge of bankruptcy a few years ago?  If so, now they want to be trusted with 195 Million.  More power to them.  Mat said at no cost to the taxpayer.  Well, somebody has to pay for it.  Whomever that is  -- let the buyer beware.

Yes, the taxpayers will pay for it under the proposal. The "no cost to taxpayers" means no raising of taxes however that means that not passing the bond should lower taxes. We know that a government agency does not want to lower taxes once people are used to paying them.................

From what I read in the PA News article, part of the bond is to renovate DeQueen Elementary and Memorial High School. Those facilities just opened in 2010 as brand new buildings. They now need renovating? 

That seems to be poor planning if you build a brand new multi-million dollar school and four years later you need a bond for renovations. 

Yes, the taxpayers will pay for it under the proposal. The "no cost to taxpayers" means no raising of taxes however that means that not passing the bond should lower taxes. We know that a government agency does not want to lower taxes once people are used to paying them.................

From what I read in the PA News article, part of the bond is to renovate DeQueen Elementary and Memorial High School. Those facilities just opened in 2010 as brand new buildings. They now need renovating? 

That seems to be poor planning if you build a brand new multi-million dollar school and four years later you need a bond for renovations. 

Poor planning or poor construction? What could need renovating?

Poor planning or poor construction? What could need renovating?

Since we have no clue what it is, I guess the speculation can be wide open. If it is poor construction then you have to wonder if a lawsuit is a more appropriate venue. 

No matter what happened, it appears that someone must have messed up if the construction was not up to code or if the planning was poor. I don't believe that there is some big expansion of student population at play. I think Memorial is losing students, not gaining them. 

I don't know about DeQueen, but Memorial wasn't designed well as I understand it. To make a long story short, too many offices, not enough classrooms. If the're doing anything at Memorial, I would imagine it would be correcting that problem.