obama's Thugocracy...

smitty

It depends on the circumstances inherent in the situation. I've said on here before that I blame Harry Reid for a lot of things a lot of other people peg on Obama. For instance, I actually think he's more to blame for the debt than Obama is; it was Harry Reid, not Barack Obama, who spent five years refusing to allow a budget to come to the floor of the Senate for a vote.

In any case, Newt Gingrich never controlled the Senate, so that's kind of irrelevant to the conversation to begin with.

So why is Newt getting credit? I thought he did it all himself.

So why is Newt getting credit? I thought he did it all himself.

This is what I said:

Not to mention that many of the Clinton administration's signature achievements are as much a result of the Newt Gingrich's work as they are Bill Clinton's.

See that "as much" part? That means that they get the same amount of credit for it.

I never said that Newt did it all himself. What I said was that he contributed every bit as much as Bill Clinton. The truth of the matter is that nothing would have gotten done had it not been for both of them working together. We had bipartisan balanced budgets and entitlement reform during a period where Congress was republican and the White House was democrat. That means both parties, and the leaders of both parties at that time, get the credit for the accomplishments.

This is what I said:

See that "as much" part? That means that they get the same amount of credit for it.

I never said that Newt did it all himself. What I said was that he contributed every bit as much as Bill Clinton. The truth of the matter is that nothing would have gotten done had it not been for both of them working together. We had bipartisan balanced budgets and entitlement reform during a period where Congress was republican and the White House was democrat. That means both parties, and the leaders of both parties at that time, get the credit for the accomplishments.

I have said many times that neither party can have it both ways.  Reagan made many concessions to his Democratic congress during his tenure.  Clinton made many concessions to his Republican congress during his time in office.  Each party wants to credit the branch it belongs to during either presidency.  The fact of the matter is, both of those guys had distinct abilities to work across party lines to get things accomplished.  It doesn't matter if the credit was equal.  bamakid is right in that you have to credit the executive and legislative branches for any successes when they worked together.  The genius of Clinton and Reagan is that they were able to do it.  Unfortunately, we have seen polarization for the past 14 years and there is a lot of blame to go around for that as well.