2014 Crosby Cougars district placing

Crosby cougars  

54 members have voted

1. 1. what place will Crosby finish in district

2. 2. will Crosby make it out of the first round

Little off topic, but what's the latest on the twins from Crosby, Austin and Aston Walters? I know they signed with Rice, but I just checked the Rice roster and they are not listed. Red shirted?

Some schools don't put kids in the media guide until they take their individual photos which is usually sometime around the beginning of fall camp. If he can pass block Austin only has two real threats in keeping him off the field, Dillard and the true freshman from Sealy that had a couple of games last year when Ross was hurt. IMO he's the best back they have on campus right now and highly unlikely to redshirt unless he can't pass block. Aston is listed as a slot receiver but I'm not so sure he won't be a contributor this year either, especially on special teams. Austin should get a shot at the NFL barring injury. They're definitely Owls though.

I think Crosby will finish 2nd or 3rd. That's my hometown dayton pick. I'm not so sure the Dayton Crosby game won't be real close though. The fact Crosby picked up a big back that can run really concerns me with our defense. KP should be in the mix to.

Really looking forward to seeing what this kid can do. For him to get the job over the two jv backs we had last year means the staff thinks pretty highly of him because either of the two kids we had on jv or Vernon Allen could have easily rushed for over 1k yards behind Crosby's line. Could be the third d1 back out of the last 4 we've had. Jakasay Evans is the one who didn't but still put up around 1300 rushing yards I believe. I actually thinking having more of a power back will help the defense rest a little more instead of a kid you give it to and a play or two later your defense is right back on the field.

If that McKeon fellar is still there they'll be in the playoffs. That fellar can flat out coach. If he'd have led the Spanish troops we'd all be living in Mexico. Via con dios mi amigos

You're right, as long as Riordan is here Crosby will be a perrenial playoff team. Most engaged coach I've seen since Dickey, a lot better at X's and O's IMO though.

The Cougs can't keep giving up 40 to the good teams we play though, especially come playoff time. Other than two tough 1 score losses to Brenham and Dawson in the second and third rounds respectively, there's been a bunch of big numbers put on Crosby recently. Elgin had 49 offensive, Manor 49, Vidor 42, Montgomery 42, and Dayton 49. Not to mention 63 and 49 to SC last alignment plus 45 more to Dayton. On paper this is the best defense Crosby has had since '09 so we'll see.

It all starts up front. Personally, I don't like the three man front unless you have at least two studs. Sharp sat in the pocket and picked them apart. Then you go into a pass defense and boom, run it right at you. Elgin and Vidor crammed it down our throat. Vidor ran to the opposite side of Calicut and Elgin just pinched and pulled 3 guys to outside to block. 73 rushes in one game, wow.

It all starts up front. Personally, I don't like the three man front unless you have at least two studs. Sharp sat in the pocket and picked them apart. Then you go into a pass defense and boom, run it right at you. Elgin and Vidor crammed it down our throat. Vidor ran to the opposite side of Calicut and Elgin just pinched and pulled 3 guys to outside to block. 73 rushes in one game, wow.

i agree with the 3 man front. Unless you have a stud at nose. Dayton has been blessed over the years with kids like Passemore Kimmie Hill and Wright at nose. When you don't have those kids get ready to try and out score most good teams.

i agree with the 3 man front. Unless you have a stud at nose. Dayton has been blessed over the years with kids like Passemore Kimmie Hill and Wright at nose. When you don't have those kids get ready to try and out score most good teams.

I totally agree w/your statement,if your team has a beast@nose & it takes dbl.teaming that kid it leaves somebody free to make a tackle.

Oubre was not a nose. He played on the oline. Charles Toussant was nose in 2012. Hope I didnt butcher his name. Charles was a good ball player but no where near the kids I mentioned above. He did start 3 years on varsity and would love to have 11 kids just like him though.

Hoping his kin=Trahan has a stellar year

Man, don't even get me started with the Callicutt thing. If he played at NS or LP pretty much every recruiting buff in Houston would know his name. Instead he has to go the THSCA all-star game and wreck shop before people took notice which was already too late because he had signed with San Angelo. Crosby's d-line had him and another 6-3 225lb DE named Shaquan Matthews that were hard to find at times because of the way they were played.

I was throwing routes with my son and little cousin yesterday in the back yard. My cousin told me after playing DE in Crosby's system last year that he wanted to play linebacker. He said it made him play slow because he had to think so much instead of making plays. With Elgin, much like Vidor, there were minimal adjustments made once it was realized that their blockers could set the edge against our ends who were already lined up inside ye tackles leaving a rover or olb in space against a ball carrier with a lead blocker most times. Sort of rough to watch Clayton at Crosby then watch him basically be unblock able in the LSC.

Oubre was not a nose. He played on the oline. Charles Toussant was nose in 2012. Hope I didnt butcher his name. Charles was a good ball player but no where near the kids I mentioned above. He did start 3 years on varsity and would love to have 11 kids just like him though.

Kevin Barton then?

• 3 weeks later...
According to Riordan this is the strongest and fastest team he's coached since his '09 Sulphur Springs team. Just a few notes coming out of recent testing.

Slot receiver Vernon Allen benched and cleaned 300+ while squatting an eye popping 660 at somewhere in the 180lbs range

Josh Opiela benched 400+ while squatting 700lbs and running a sub 5 second 40.
Both guys above competed at the state powerlifting meet last year and are primed to go back.

Not sure what they ran but the word was the fastest kids on the track were the two sophomores, Taylor Perry and Emmanuel Netherley, who both got playing time on varsity last year as freshman. In all, 27 kids squatted 400+ and 15 benched 300+. Best part about is that we'll still have most of these kids next year also.

According to Riordan this is the strongest and fastest team he's coached since his '09 Sulphur Springs team. Just a few notes coming out of recent testing.

Slot receiver Vernon Allen benched and cleaned 300+ while squatting an eye popping 660 at somewhere in the 180lbs range

Josh Opiela benched 400+ while squatting 700lbs and running a sub 5 second 40.
Both guys above competed at the state powerlifting meet last year and are primed to go back.

Not sure what they ran but the word was the fastest kids on the track were the two sophomores, Taylor Perry and Emmanuel Netherley, who both got playing time on varsity last year as freshman. In all, 27 kids squatted 400+ and 15 benched 300+. Best part about is that we'll still have most of these kids next year also.

Sounds like Daytons weight room right now