Two a Days?

How does your team handle two-a-days?

Fwood doesnt start practice till late in the afternoon and it ends well after dark.  Its not two separate practices so much as a practice, a uil mandated break, and then another practice.  It kind of surprised me, but the coach's point was that it reduces the heat and it puts the kids more on their school/game day schedule.

Is this common?

Vidor has to be in field house at 6:30 am be on the field and ready 6:50 then they do their work out... get a 30 min break and do the 2nd one... I guess his theory is he works them in the morning as to not have them running around all day getting tired swimming and such before football practice... He gets them fresh and ready to go... My twins usually are in bed by 9pm the night before two adays LOL ... they wont even stay up late before a practice...

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1421375" timestamp="1375711944"]
Vidor has to be in field house at 6:30 am be on the field and ready 6:50 then they do their work out... get a 30 min break and do the 2nd one... I guess his theory is he works them in the morning as to not have them running around all day getting tired swimming and such before football practice... He gets them fresh and ready to go... My twins usually are in bed by 9pm the night before two adays LOL ... they wont even stay up late before a practice...
[/quote]

One of the blessings of two a days for us parents is tired kids who we dont have to remind about going to bed.

Good luck to your boys and your team Coach.

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1421386" timestamp="1375713516"]
Thank you... yes I have been very blessed in the dept of children... they are very self responsible... they do have their moments but for the most part they take care of their own business..
[/quote] Don't sale yourself short Coach.. Good parenting has ALOT to do with having kids who know what is important and can exercise self discipline...

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1421453" timestamp="1375721006"]
The UIL is mandating 2 a days. If a team practices twice a day, the second practice has to be a walk through and the next day you can only practice for 1.5 hours. Lots of Coaches just doing evening 3 hour workouts.
[/quote]
Yep the twins corrected me on this earlier on the schedule they are doing walk thoughs after lunch...

Two-a days used to be so hard. Everyday was my last day but I kept showing up each day. I know its hot out there and with all the heat related problems we have seen  recently I understand. I dont know how we older guys made it through those practices.

[quote name="bigd92" post="1421539" timestamp="1375733183"]
Two-a days used to be so hard. Everyday was my last day but I kept showing up each day. I know its hot out there and with all the heat related problems we have seen  recently I understand. I dont know how we older guys made it through those practices.
[/quote]

The wife and I were talking about that.  Kids are softer , IMO.  We didn't have a bunch of heat related issues that I can remember. Just toughed it out and drank plenty of water!  If i remember correctly we couldn't even go get water when we wanted, had to wait for the coach to blow the whistle.

[quote name="bigdog" post="1421585" timestamp="1375741131"]
[quote author=bigd92 link=topic=113135.msg1421539#msg1421539 date=1375733183]
[/quote]

The wife and I were talking about that.  Kids are softer , IMO.  We didn't have a bunch of heat related issues that I can remember. Just toughed it out and drank plenty of water!  If i remember correctly we couldn't even go get water when we wanted, had to wait for the coach to blow the whistle.
[/quote] don't know bout yall but when I was a kid we were outside all day anyway.. we were already used to the heat.. and drank from the waterhose... I played softball.. we were always practicing and when we weren't we were playing games twice a week. And on Saturdays in the heat of the day.

[quote name="OctFeb" post="1421588" timestamp="1375741828"]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=113135.msg1421585#msg1421585 date=1375741131]
[/quote]

[/quote] don't know bout yall but [b]when I was a kid we were outside all day anyway.. we were already used to the heat..[/b] and drank from the waterhose... I played softball.. we were always practicing and when we weren't we were playing games twice a week. And on Saturdays in the heat of the day.
[/quote]
this. no such thing of being indoors during the summer except to eat and sleep. and even that was optional. ;D

[/quote]

[/quote] don't know bout yall but when I was a kid we were outside all day anyway.. we were already used to the heat.. and drank from the waterhose... I played softball.. we were always practicing and when we weren't we were playing games twice a week. And on Saturdays in the heat of the day.
[/quote]^^^^^^^^^^^^ 8)

[/quote]

[/quote]

same here.

[quote name="bigdog" post="1421681" timestamp="1375763448"]
[quote author=OctFeb link=topic=113135.msg1421588#msg1421588 date=1375741828]
[/quote]

[/quote]

same here.
[/quote]Ditto.  My grandmother and Mom didn't play that in and out of the house.  You stay outside and we utilized that garden hose.  Lol

Those of us who grew up w/screen windows (box,oscillating fans,and the great big bertha attic fans)were more acclimated to hot weather.Besides being outdoors all day & part of the night.I remember the 2 adays,more so those salt tablets(always made me sick) & still have to watch the salt intake.Also we drank alot more water,kids nowdays drink alot of sodas/energy drinks.How do I know,have some soda co.stocks & they're doing real good.

LOL there was no cell phone... usually just a call or two on the land line to figure out where the kids of the neighborhood were at... usually in someones backyard creating the next game of hide and seek, or marbles, or chase, or figuring out whose house we were going to camp out in the backyard... aaahhh and the taste of that cool water from a Garden hose....  Of course now a days that is bad for you...

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1421717" timestamp="1375795445"]
LOL there was no cell phone... usually just a call or two on the land line to figure out where the kids of the neighborhood were at... usually in someones backyard creating the next game of hide and seek, or marbles, or chase, or figuring out whose house we were going to camp out in the backyard... aaahhh and the taste of that cool water from a Garden hose....  Of course now a days that is bad for you...
[/quote] Don't forget catching crawfish in the ditch after a good rain. Getting little sticks and have pretend boat races by the curb on the street as the water was rushing down into the gutters... Whoevers stick got there first won... Riding your bike all day in the neighborhood with NO HANDS.. LOL Oh how I miss those days... ;)

Amen on that.  I grew up not far from the MLK highway/railoroad project in the late 80's and early 90's.  We used to take the construction sticks and play sword fights all day every day.  Football in the open fields.  'Hot' ball when it wasn't enough for teams.  Hid and seek.  Building tree houses.  All we needed was the water hose...and to have our butts in the house before the street lights came on.  We were not INSIDE children, unlike the kids of today...

[quote name="OctFeb" post="1421723" timestamp="1375796306"]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=113135.msg1421717#msg1421717 date=1375795445]
[/quote] Don't forget catching crawfish in the ditch after a good rain. Getting little sticks and have pretend boat races by the curb on the street as the water was rushing down into the gutters... Whoevers stick got there first won... Riding your bike all day in the neighborhood with NO HANDS.. LOL Oh how I miss those days... ;)
[/quote]

You guys are choking me up.  There is no way most kids today would have the patience to sit for hours next to a ditch with a piece of bacon tied to a piece of string and a stick and weighted down with pebbles trying to catch a big ol' crawdad.

Back to football, there is one heat difference today than from back in my day and that's the artificial turf.  Those black pellets under field turf absorb alot of heat and make the field itself a source of heat during practice.

[quote name="fwoodfan" post="1421763" timestamp="1375802588"]
[quote author=OctFeb link=topic=113135.msg1421723#msg1421723 date=1375796306]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=113135.msg1421717#msg1421717 date=1375795445]
[/quote]

You guys are choking me up.  There is no way most kids today would have the patience [b]to sit for hours next to a ditch with a piece of bacon tied to a piece of string and a stick and weighted down with pebbles trying to catch a big ol' crawdad.[/b]

Back to football, there is one heat difference today than from back in my day and that's the artificial turf.  Those black pellets under field turf absorb alot of heat and make the field itself a source of heat during practice.
[/quote] LOL so you have been there :) And I agree those pellets probably do hold alot of heat...

[quote name="OctFeb" post="1421767" timestamp="1375803108"]
[quote author=fwoodfan link=topic=113135.msg1421763#msg1421763 date=1375802588]
[quote author=OctFeb link=topic=113135.msg1421723#msg1421723 date=1375796306]
[/quote]

You guys are choking me up.  There is no way most kids today would have the patience [b]to sit for hours next to a ditch with a piece of bacon tied to a piece of string and a stick and weighted down with pebbles trying to catch a big ol' crawdad.[/b]

[/quote] LOL so you have been there :) And I agree those pellets probably do hold alot of heat...
[/quote]

Also I remember is being hot...but not this hot. We are setting records.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder