**UIL Boys State Basketball Tourney Updates**/Thurs, Fri, Sat.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1384379" timestamp="1362928100"]
If the UIL has not controlled the free agent market since UIL's inception way back in the 1930's, don't see any new rules forth coming to stop the situation in 2013-2014.
[/quote]I could be wrong, but I think things have changed since the 1930's Dove! ;D

Sounds to me that you are fine with the current rules and how they are implemented (or lack there of)?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1384291" timestamp="1362887947"]
[quote author=usedtobe link=topic=110063.msg1384273#msg1384273 date=1362886167]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=110063.msg1384211#msg1384211 date=1362876046]
Finals from today's earlier championship games:

1A DI

Dallas Triple A Academy      80
Mumford                            54

2A

White Oak                          56
Brock                                  54

3A

Dallas Madison                    85
Houston Yates                    72

4A

Rosenberg Terry                  55
Dallas Kimball                        47
[/quote]
I am so glad that Yates didn't win state that I could wet Diickie V's and Dove's pants. 8)
[/quote] Yates lost to a good team -there is a difference  ;)
[/quote]
Dove, you are soooo far above me intellectually that I have to ask you to explain your statement to me.  What difference do you reference?

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1384137" timestamp="1362857727"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=110063.msg1384109#msg1384109 date=1362853578]
Maybe Yates should try to win the championship at the 2A or 1A level since 4A and 3A didn't work out so well! ;) ;D
[/quote]
How bad would Yates beat Nederland?... ::) ::)...thought so... ;)...Maybe Nederland should try dropping to 3A... 8)
[/quote]What makes you assume Yates beats Nederland? Didn't Ozen hang with Yates this year and only lose by 3? Didn't Ned and Ozen split? In addition, Silsbee had a chance to beat Yates too. Didn't Nederland beat Silsbee at home by 6/7 pts? Hmmm?? Sounds to me that Nederland had as good of a chance as any to beat Yates this year. Since I stated FACTS, I doubt I will hear a reply from you. 8)

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1384404" timestamp="1362938016"]
Awwwwww poor poor Yates. Went to all that trouble to drop down to 3A to win state only to be beaten again. So close yet so far away.
[/quote]

As previously stated, Yates is going to need to re-evaluate its player acquisition program.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1384405" timestamp="1362938170"]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=110063.msg1384404#msg1384404 date=1362938016]
Awwwwww poor poor Yates. Went to all that trouble to drop down to 3A to win state only to be beaten again. So close yet so far away.
[/quote]

As previously stated, Yates is going to need to re-evaluate its player acquisition program.
[/quote]
8)

[quote name="Skip Bayless" post="1384398" timestamp="1362935391"]
No team from this area beat Yates. So why are y'all trying to see which game would be closer? Yates doesn't care about how much they win by as long as they win.
[/quote]Not trying to determine which game would closer. I made a point that people (DV in this case) assume the outcome of a game before it is played due to simply 'athleticism'. Had Silsbee not shot so poorly at the FT line, they could have won the game against Yates, correct?

To say that Nederland doesn't have the athletes (on another thread) to compete with Yates, but good enough athletes to beat Silsbee is a contradiction, no? DV was unable to provide any facts as to why Yates would automatically win. His opinion is: Nederland doesn't have the athletes to compete against them and Yates has 8 'athletes'. Only 5 play at a time though correct? ??? Hmmm?? I've received no answer about this before, but I will ask again: Since when does an athletic team equate to an automatic victory over a 'non-athletic' team?? Last I checked, NEVER! It looks good during warmups, but when the whistle blows and the ball is tipped, it's anyone's game, and Nederland has proven (I know some don't like facts) that over and again. 8)

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1384420" timestamp="1362941313"]
[quote author=Skip Bayless link=topic=110063.msg1384398#msg1384398 date=1362935391]
No team from this area beat Yates. So why are y'all trying to see which game would be closer? Yates doesn't care about how much they win by as long as they win.
[/quote]Not trying to determine which game would closer. I made a point that people (DV in this case) assume the outcome of a game before it is played due to simply 'athleticism'. Had Silsbee not shot so poorly at the FT line, they could have won the game against Yates, correct?

To say that Nederland doesn't have the athletes (on another thread) to compete with Yates, but good enough athletes to beat Silsbee is a contradiction, no? DV was unable to provide any facts as to why Yates would automatically win. His opinion is: Nederland doesn't have the athletes to compete against them and Yates has 8 'athletes'. Only 5 play at a time though correct? ??? Hmmm?? I've received no answer about this before, but I will ask again: Since when does an athletic team equate to an automatic victory over a 'non-athletic' team?? Last I checked, NEVER! It looks good during warmups, but when the whistle blows and the ball is tipped, it's anyone's game, and Nederland has proven (I know some don't like facts) that over and again. 8)
[/quote]
I DO agree with you, to an extent...If your team is more athletic and you have at least a DECENT coach on the sideline, odds are, the team with athletes will win...Thats a fact...Now, does it ALWAYS happen? No, but at the high school level, more often than not.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1384424" timestamp="1362942008"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=110063.msg1384420#msg1384420 date=1362941313]
[quote author=Skip Bayless link=topic=110063.msg1384398#msg1384398 date=1362935391]

[/quote]
I DO agree with you, to an extent...If your team is more athletic and you have at least a DECENT coach on the sideline, odds are, the team with athletes will win...Thats a fact...Now, does it ALWAYS happen? No, but at the high school level, more often than not.
[/quote]I agree, it is hard to argue that (in most cases) at the HS level. Ok, I'm done, that's two things we have agreed on today. We must stop now before our reputations are ruined! ;D ;D

Got a question for you DV: While I realize Yates's MO is to press in order to score, why did coach Wise continue to press yesterday when Madison destroyed their press time and again? Why not make an in-game adjustment and try something different? Same thing happened last year in the title game too. I'm not picking on him, I just don't understand his thinking! The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Why not try something different and play a half court defense and protect the rim a bit more?

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1384428" timestamp="1362942627"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=110063.msg1384424#msg1384424 date=1362942008]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=110063.msg1384420#msg1384420 date=1362941313]

[/quote]
[/quote]I agree, it is hard to argue that (in most cases) at the HS level. Ok, I'm done, that's two things we have agreed on today. We must stop now before our reputations are ruined! ;D ;D

Got a question for you DV: While I realize Yates's MO is to press in order to score, why did coach Wise continue to press yesterday when Madison destroyed their press time and again? Why not make an in-game adjustment and try something different? Same thing happened last year in the title game too. I'm not picking on him, I just don't understand his thinking! The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Why not try something different and play a half court defense and protect the rim a bit more?
[/quote]
I wasn't able to catch the game, but knowing the mindset, he just stuck to his belief in his system. Its the same when he is asked about why he presses when he is up 60...Thats just what they do! Live by the press, DIE by the press! ;D...Thats not MY philosphy by any means, but I guess you have to give him credit for sticking to his guns, no matter what... 8)

Coach Wise has always been that way. If the press has gotten us this far apparently it worked , why change now? If you get beat you're not running the defense the way i taught you....so we'll keep at it until you get it right.
I have this same argument with his 2001-02 & 2002-03  Hightower team kids that live in my area that lost as they put it ...because coach wouldnt come out of the press.
We've practiced this every day and now you cant do it right ? No son, get it right or lose.
Same with time outs...aint gonna happen.  If you cant execute there are no bail-outs turn it over... and try again. And the players no better than to call one except in the game vs HJ    Guard called one on an inbound play and got cursed out "Dont call no damn timeout ! Cant get the damn ball in give it back to the ref ! "
* Also for those that were at the Wylie game vs Madison  ... down 40 points .... yep we're staying in this 2-3 zone son...now get out there and win.

[quote name="Savant19" post="1384444" timestamp="1362945134"]
Coach Wise has always been that way. If the press has gotten us this far apparently it worked , why change now? If you get beat you're not running the defense the way i taught you....so we'll keep at it until you get it right.
I have this same argument with his 2001-02 & 2002-03  Hightower team kids that live in my area that lost as they put it ...because coach wouldnt come out of the press.
We've practiced this every day and now you cant do it right ? No son, get it right or lose.
Same with time outs...aint gonna happen.  If you cant execute there are no bail-outs turn it over... and try again. And the players no better than to call one except in the game vs HJ    Guard called one on an inbound play and got cursed out "Dont call no damn timeout ! Cant get the damn ball in give it back to the ref ! "
* Also for those that were at the Wylie game vs Madison  ... down 40 points .... yep we're staying in this 2-3 zone son...now get out there and win.
[/quote]Shouldn't it be the coaches job to think of alternative methods to win the game if your signature method isn't working? Sorry, but that's not good coaching. Seems like that is nothing more than 'out athleting' the other team. While it works against 95% of opponents, it makes no sense to be stubborn and not adjust your game plan when it's not working and you are losing the state title again in the same manner as you did the year before. Since that is all that Yates cares about, this should be a huge issue for them. 

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1384454" timestamp="1362946434"]
[quote author=Savant19 link=topic=110063.msg1384444#msg1384444 date=1362945134]
[/quote]Shouldn't it be the coaches job to think of alternative methods to win the game if your signature method isn't working? Sorry, but that's not good coaching. Seems like that is nothing more than 'out athleting' the other team. While it works against 95% of opponents, it makes no sense to be stubborn and not adjust your game plan when it's not working and you are losing the state title again in the same manner as you did the year before. Since that is all that Yates cares about, this should be a huge issue for them. 
[/quote]
Hey Abe, everyone has a different way of thinking in the coaching profession...Legendary Houston Wheatley coach Jackie Carr believed that a bad shot trumps a good pass any day of the week...While most would find that quite odd, HE was very successful in that line of thinking...Greg Wise has 2 state titles and 6 state apearances in two different schools...His method works for HIM...Some guys have all the answers and no titles...and no appearances..which would YOU rather have? ;)

Yates is second again. Dang wonder why and why is it so hard to cheer for em. Is it the same reason AAA Academy got booed. Congrats to all the schools and coaches who do it right with hard work, ethics, life lessons etc....especially the ones who do it w kids who should be at their school. We all know what's coming, you can't help those guys,they just don't get it!

[quote name="team first" post="1384474" timestamp="1362950188"]
Yates is second again. Dang wonder why and why is it so hard to cheer for em. Is it the same reason AAA Academy got booed. Congrats to all the schools and coaches who do it right with hard work, ethics, life lessons etc....especially the ones who do it w kids who should be at their school. We all know what's coming, you can't help those guys,they just don't get it!
[/quote]Well put!!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1384515" timestamp="1362962559"]
Well, another state tourney in the books. This made my 42nd straight state tourney to attend. Looking forward to next year's tourney.

Now on to high school baseball!
[/quote]
Thanks for all the broadcasts/updates this basketball season Aggie.

[quote name="Skip Bayless" post="1384520" timestamp="1362963407"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=110063.msg1384515#msg1384515 date=1362962559]
Well, another state tourney in the books. This made my 42nd straight state tourney to attend. Looking forward to next year's tourney.

[/quote]
[/quote]

No problem. Enjoy doing it.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1384521" timestamp="1362963486"]
[quote author=Skip Bayless link=topic=110063.msg1384520#msg1384520 date=1362963407]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=110063.msg1384515#msg1384515 date=1362962559]

[/quote]
[/quote]

No problem. Enjoy doing it.
[/quote] ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    daxebeg833
    Newest Member
    daxebeg833