Question: Has the Silsbee & HJ rivalry lost some of its appeal?

Guest Farmer Fran

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1371452" timestamp="1360336383"]
[quote author=Tiger94 link=topic=109036.msg1371449#msg1371449 date=1360336266]
Probably referencing Silsbee's history of losing to teams they seemingly shouldn't lose to. ie Jasper, Sealy just recently.
[/quote]

I wouldn't necessarily say Silsbee "folded" but just got out played in those games.
[/quote]

They folded in the regional final last year.  Surely you can admit that.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="smooth" post="1371455" timestamp="1360336493"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=109036.msg1371452#msg1371452 date=1360336383]
[quote author=Tiger94 link=topic=109036.msg1371449#msg1371449 date=1360336266]
Probably referencing Silsbee's history of losing to teams they seemingly shouldn't lose to. ie Jasper, Sealy just recently.
[/quote]

I wouldn't necessarily say Silsbee "folded" but just got out played in those games.
[/quote]

They folded in the regional final last year.  Surely you can admit that.
[/quote]

They lost a lead to the #1 team in state. Questionable call at the end.

Just think the term "fold" is not appropriate. HJ lost a lead to this same team. Did they fold? I don't think so.

[quote name="smooth" post="1371465" timestamp="1360337209"]
[b]Ok.  Call it what you want.  I had two simple points.  Silsbee has clearly been the better team over the last few years.  Also, Silsbee continues to lose games in the playoffs they should win.  That is it.[/b]
[/quote]

I agree with this statement 100%.

I honestly think its still a great rivalry in those respective communities, but AAW is right, it has been kind of one sided over the last few years.  Playing the games at Ford Arena has DEFINITELY hurt the atmosphere of it though. They should get back to home and home, and perhaps it will pick up again next season.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1371468" timestamp="1360337428"]
I honestly think its still a great rivalry in those respective communities, but AAW is right, it has been kind of one sided over the last few years.  Playing the games at Ford Arena has DEFINITELY hurt the atmosphere of it though. [b]They should get back to home and home[/b], and perhaps it will pick up again next season.
[/quote]

Personally, I want them to keep it at Ford Arena.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="Tiger94" post="1371501" timestamp="1360339515"]
Go back to home and home and raise ticket prices to fit the market. ;)
[/quote]

If they were to go back to a home and home series, then you hear the same old complaints about people not getting in, doors being locked, etc, etc.

They should keep it where it is for now.

[quote name="Farmer Fran" post="1371506" timestamp="1360339800"]
[quote author=Tiger94 link=topic=109036.msg1371501#msg1371501 date=1360339515]
Go back to home and home and raise ticket prices to fit the market. ;)
[/quote]

If they were to go back to a home and home series, then you hear the same old complaints about people not getting in, doors being locked, etc, etc.

They should keep it where it is for now.
[/quote]
Yeah, but aren't sell out crowds a part of the luster of that game? Playing in a half empty Ford Park, just makes that game totally lose its crowd appeal...Don't you think? I would go back to home and home OR play on an alternate night at a high school gym like Ozen or Westbrook, that can hold a few more people, yet still hold its appeal.

I have attended these games for years, leaving work early and standing in line to get tickets and I don't live in either community. Over the years I have sat on each side just to get a feel for how each side feels about it's club.That being said it lost it's luster in Ford park from a fan standpoint.I think the better solution is pregame ticket sales with an allotment for the visiting school.As far as the parking goes there was some nut in a jacked up brown ford at Ford park that felt the need to take up 3 SPOTS so I'm not sure the parking lot will be big enough :)

I like it at Ford Park they last game had 3,000 plus there ford area holds about 6,000 I don't like to be cramped up an the Kids enjoyed playing it there only reason for the move is because the district loses of money Think about how much money they could've made last year at HJ if there more seats an for HJ to always be good it still kills me how small there gym is smh and they Rivalry isn't the same because in the past years you didn't have other area teams appealing as OZEN an Central have become Nederland has been running 20-4a for a couple years.....

[quote name="bwbiddle" post="1371594" timestamp="1360349794"]
Whit one of  H.J. best player gone .!!! They won't have a chance tonight against Silsbee ..#3 D.Johnson  was a big part of H.J. team...And next year H. J. Won't come no where close to Silsbee..  ;D
[/quote]

No so sure about that for next year.  Silsbee loses a bunch of really good players...

[quote name="bwbiddle" post="1371648" timestamp="1360358541"]
Silsbee has like 3 players leaving most of there starters will be back. !!! ..And whit a j.v. that can give H.J. a good game right now.. ;)
[/quote]

I would like to know what Silsbee roster you have seen,  there is only a possible two starters coming back next year.  Out of 12 current varsity players I believe it is 8 or 9 seniors.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="Pumper" post="1371639" timestamp="1360357143"]
[quote author=bwbiddle link=topic=109036.msg1371594#msg1371594 date=1360349794]
Whit one of  H.J. best player gone .!!! They won't have a chance tonight against Silsbee ..#3 D.Johnson  was a big part of H.J. team...And next year H. J. Won't come no where close to Silsbee..  ;D
[/quote]

No so sure about that for next year.  Silsbee loses a bunch of really good players...
[/quote]

The thing about Silsbee is they do not rebuild, they reload.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1371377" timestamp="1360330822"]
LOL!  I've always loved the 9 out of 12 games thing

Why not just state the entire series record since they entered the same district instead of picking a certain point in the middle and going from there?
[/quote]

Well,I guess your going to love 10 out 13 now.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83