TAPPS 3-5A District playoff scenarios

I took some posts from another thread and posted them here for continued conversation on the subject.

From bmtcpa87:

Not sure where else to put this.  St. Thomas beat Concordia last night 67-59, so St. Thomas is 3-1 and Concordia is 1-3.  Kelly and St. Pius are both 2-2.  So far in district, the home team has won every game.  Thomas has road games remaining at Pius and Kelly.  Concordia has homes games with Kelly and Pius.  Kelly plays at Condordia and then home against Thomas.  Pius plays Thomas at home then at Concordia.  If the home teams continue to win we will all end up 3-3.  I have no clue how that tie breaker would work.

Finally, the Kelly and Condordia game has been moved from Friday to tomorrow, February 7.  Obviuosly a huge game for Kelly.  A win by Kelly guarantees a playoff spot as top 3 go to playoffs and would set up a district championship game next Tuesday against Thomas at Kelly.  Kelly has the tie breaker on Pius due to point differential so it would be best if Pius wins their final two games and we both end up 4-2.  Gotta win one on the road.

From Ballislife:

If Kelly wins their next game, and then beat St. Thomas by +6, they will have first place no matter what St. Thomas does in their next game. If Kelly wins the next game and loses to Thomas, they will have a tie breaker with Pius for 2nd, depending on the outcome of the Thomas-Pius game

From bmtcpa87:

That's correct ballislife.  But what I think would be better is for Pius to beat Thomas.  Then all Kelly has to do is beat Thomas.  They don't have to worry about beating Thomas by 6.  That assumes Kelly can beat Concordia, which isn't going to be easy.  We will have to play much better than we did at home against Concordia.  Kelly was lucky to win that game. 

If Kelly loses to Thomas, the only way they make the playoffs as the 3rd place team would be if Pius loses their two remaining games and both teams end up 2-4.  Kelly has the tie breaker on Pius.  But I think Pius will beat Thomas tonight.  Kelly has to win against Thomas and I can't think of a scenario where Kelly would win district.  Kelly most likely ends up second or third.  If Pius beats Thomas and Kelly beats Thomas and then Concordia beats Pius I think Concordia would win district because they already have the tie breakers on Kelly and Thomas and could get it on Pius if they win by +5.  All 4 teams would be 3-3 and Concordia would have tie breakers on everyone.  Kelly would get second by having the tie breaker on Pius and Thomas if they beat Thomas +6.  Kelly gets third if they beat Thomas but by less than 6.  Clear as mud.

The teams Kelly has lost to (The Village, St. Thomas, St. Pius and Concordia) would probably beat them all except Kountze and even Kountze would have their hands full with The Village.  I have never commented about the rankings other than to say that the teams we play are very good.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1371525" timestamp="1360342532"]
If Kelly ends up losing to St. Thomas and finishes the season with a 5 game losing streak, should we still rank them #2 in our SETX rankings?

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;D
[/quote] yes because they are still better than every team ahead of them except kountze.

St. Pius beat St. Thomas 69-51 today.  Pius and Thomas are 3-2 and Kelly and Concordia are 2-3.  If Pius beats Concordia Tuesday, they will win district.  If Concordia beats Pius and Kelly beats Thomas then all four teams will be 3-3.  So far no one has won a road game in district, but I think Pius will beat Concordia.  That means if Kelly can beat Thomas by +6 Kelly will get 2nd in district.  If Kelly wins but by -6 they get 3rd.  A Kelly loss and they finish out of the playoffs.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83