Justise Winslow is as advertised and then some!

jb

I've seen him twice this year.  Once against Houston Christian and once against Episcopal.  Episcopal has 4 or 5 guys going D1 and he dominated that game.  Probably had about 40 points.  Had a couple of amazing dunks.  Not break away dunks but dunks in traffic over people.  He did everything from bringing the ball up the court against the press, to making 3's, to rebounding.  He put on a show in front of a standing room only crowd and several major college coaches.  He is a special player.

He is playing at St. John's...SPC league... ::) ::)...He is talented, but SUPER SOFT, and though he would be an above average talent in 4A/5A, he would not stand out as spectacular as he is now.  I saw him in November and was not impressed. He COULD have taken over the game against MUCH less talent, but just floated along and blended in..He was not that good then.  HCYA's Justin Jackson, is a really talented player with great upside as well, but once again, that home-school league is not helping his game either. Summer ball will hopefully save them both. Yes Bluedove, AAU is STILL the devil, but it is a necessary evil for some!  8)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1367174" timestamp="1359222324"]
He is playing at St. John's...SPC league... ::) ::)...He is talented, but SUPER SOFT, and though he would be an above average talent in 4A/5A, he would not stand out as spectacular as he is now.  I saw him in November and was not impressed. He COULD have taken over the game against MUCH less talent, but just floated along and blended in..He was not that good then.  [b]HCYA's Justin Jackson[/b], is a really talented player with great upside as well, but once again, that home-school league is not helping his game either. Summer ball will hopefully save them both. Yes Bluedove, AAU is STILL the devil, but it is a necessary evil for some!  8)
[/quote]

All I know is that North Carolina head coach Roy Williams and Hall of Famer and current SMU head coach Larry Brown traveled all the way to Nederland to watch Justin Jackson. ;)

Didn't say he wouldn't be recruited...The boys can BOTH really play...I think that summer ball will give them their BEST look of competition...Winslow is SOFT, though...However, he is only a junior, which leaves room for his ceiling to become greater...BUT...right now? sofT...yes capital T!  ;D 8)

Here are some condensed highlights from the game.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=no8RzzUFPZo

Not sure about soft..He has definitely played up with his summer and international play..Honestly, he impressed me more than the Harrison twins.

[quote name="jb" post="1367193" timestamp="1359227693"]

Not sure about soft..He has definitely played up with his summer and international play..Honestly, he impressed me more than the Harrison twins.
[/quote]So he IS the kid who was the MVP of  the tourney the US Jr Natl team, yet some think he is too 'soft'? ::)
Funny, bc when I talk to his AAU coach, he tells me that Winslow is legit. Hmmm?? Who to believe?? ::)

He is playing at St. John's...SPC league... ::) ::)...He is talented, but SUPER SOFT, and though he would be an above average talent in 4A/5A, he would not stand out as spectacular as he is now.  I saw him in November and was not impressed. He COULD have taken over the game against MUCH less talent, but just floated along and blended in..He was not that good then.  HCYA's Justin Jackson, is a really talented player with great upside as well, but once again, that home-school league is not helping his game either. Summer ball will hopefully save them both. Yes Bluedove, AAU is STILL the devil, but it is a necessary evil for some!  8)
[/quote] this whole thing is ridiculous the SPC, first off, has some pretty dang good teams Episcopal would easily handle ANY team in this area and I think would have a good game with any school in Texas. Kinkaid is pretty good so is St John's themselves and Houston Christian is pretty good to. And Winslow doesn't need AAU to save anything he played on the US junior national team and is a top recruit what is there to save? Also He isn't soft, I've seen him play many times. Also he would DOMINATE 4a and 5a too.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1367195" timestamp="1359229505"]
[quote author=jb link=topic=108668.msg1367193#msg1367193 date=1359227693]

[/quote]So he IS the kid who was the MVP of  the tourney the US Jr Natl team, yet some think he is too 'soft'? ::)
Funny, bc when I talk to his AAU coach, he tells me that Winslow is legit. Hmmm?? Who to believe?? ::)
[/quote] It's just Dicky V saying he's soft. The kid is phenomenal future NBA star mark my words.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1367195" timestamp="1359229505"]

[/quote]
Lets see AAU coach.....College coach who evaluates and recruits for a LIVING....I'm not sure... ::) ::)..Are you kidding me? :o

[/quote]

Thats when I have tuned everything else your post said out...Better than the Harrison twins? WOW...Ok.. ::) ::)...I said when I SAW HIM IN NOVEMBER he was playing SOFT against HCYA...Have not seen him since, so it MAY have been a game thing..Don't know, but when I saw him, I was amongst coaches from Baylor, and Alabama...Thats what we were discussing...But go ahead and listen to the AAU coaches talk him up... ::) ::)...holy moly... ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHN3WVtJ518&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Dang he looks REALLY soft. And some of these highlights are against Episcopal who is definitely a top team.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJGu45tCxWA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just another clip of how soft he is.

[quote name="fisherman2" post="1367197" timestamp="1359230096"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=108668.msg1367195#msg1367195 date=1359229505]

[/quote] It's just Dicky V saying he's soft. The kid is phenomenal future NBA star mark my words.
[/quote]
Are these the same guys that said that Westbury Christian's Ndudi Ebi was a future NBA star, and I said BACK THEN, that his toughness was the only thing that would keep him out of the league? He was 6'10" and SKILLED! Not tough, and could not guard on the perimeter...How is that working out for him now...Justice Winslow IS TALENTED...WHEN I SAW HIM he was not playing with ANY toughness...Deja vu? Perhaps...Good news is he is only a junior...Time is on his side.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1367198" timestamp="1359230214"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=108668.msg1367195#msg1367195 date=1359229505]

[/quote]
Lets see AAU coach.....College coach who evaluates and recruits for a LIVING....I'm not sure... ::) ::)..Are you kidding me? :o

[/quote]Apparently you don't know his AAU coach, bc he makes a living doing it. So, maybe do your research on who his AAU coach is before you make a statement like that! ::)
Are YOU kidding ME? 8)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1367200" timestamp="1359230542"]
[quote author=fisherman2 link=topic=108668.msg1367197#msg1367197 date=1359230096]

[/quote]
Are these the same guys that said that Westbury Christian's Ndudi Ebi was a future NBA star, and I said BACK THEN, that his toughness was the only thing that would keep him out of the league? He was 6'10" and SKILLED! Not tough, and could not guard on the perimeter...How is that working out for him now...Justice Winslow IS TALENTED...WHEN I SAW HIM he was not playing with ANY toughness...Deja vu? Perhaps...Good news is he is only a junior...Time is on his side.
[/quote] well we all have our own opinions and ill stick to mine. We will see in a few years.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1367201" timestamp="1359230632"]
I love how you guys bring up HIGHLIGHT REELS to prove your point... ::) ::)..I evaluate and watch FULL GAMES...You know what...Nevermind, its above some of you guys understanding as fans...my bad.
[/quote] I have watched full games of his. About 8 or 9 of them but it's kind of hard for me to go find those game films.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1367201" timestamp="1359230632"]
I love how you guys bring up HIGHLIGHT REELS to prove your point... ::) ::)..I evaluate and watch FULL GAMES...You know what...Nevermind, its above some of you guys understanding as fans...my bad.
[/quote]So you are telling us that in your experience as a recruiter, you have never evaluated a kid who exceeded your expectations? ??? You have never observed a kid who you thought was 'not all that', yet went on to be a stud somewhere? Happens all the time. Come on DV, stop talking like you are the ONLY person who knows talent when you see it! ::)

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1367205" timestamp="1359231060"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=108668.msg1367201#msg1367201 date=1359230632]
[/quote]So you are telling us that in your experience as a recruiter, you have never evaluated a kid who exceeded your expectations? ??? You have never observed a kid who you thought was 'not all that', yet went on to be a stud somewhere? Happens all the time. Come on DV, stop talking like you are the ONLY person who knows talent when you see it! ::)
[/quote]
Again..I NEVER said the kid was a BUST! I said he PLAYED SOFT when I saw him, and I KNOW that from watching him play in THAT game.  Some of you guys have HORRIBLE understanding. Once again...I understand...Its ok...MY WORD! :(

And to answer your question, NO I HAVE NOT....If a kid can play, he can make it REGARDLESS of what ANYONE thinks of him.  Its an opinion. Some are more credible than others, but they are all opinions...Sam Bowie was picked ahead of Micheal Jordan in the 84 NBA Draft...Darko Millicick (sp) was picked ahead of Carmelo Anthony in 2003. It DOES happen from time to time. The difference here is that I am NOT saying the kid will not make it. I said HE PLAYED SOFT AS BABY POO WHEN I SAW HIM AT SECOND BAPTIST VERSUS HCYA...Thats what I said, and thats what I meant...YES he is very talented, and it could have been a number of reasons for him playing soft, but the bottom line is he did.  If I were recruiting him, I would go watch him again, because he is talented. AND to see if he is really as soft as he played that day in November.

By the way, I think Justin Jackson is also a BIG TIME talent....Thats a no brainer. My thought on HIM was that I think that HE is an example of how AAU can actually HELP a player in his game and recruitment, because of the competetion he plays usually in that home school league is not so good. USUALLY.

He is playing at St. John's...SPC league... ::) ::)..[b].He is talented, but SUPER SOFT[/b], and though he would be an above average talent in 4A/5A, he would not stand out as spectacular as he is now.  I saw him in November and was not impressed. He COULD have taken over the game against MUCH less talent, but just floated along and blended in..He was not that good then.  HCYA's Justin Jackson, is a really talented player with great upside as well, but once again, that home-school league is not helping his game either. Summer ball will hopefully save them both. Yes Bluedove, AAU is STILL the devil, but it is a necessary evil for some!  8)
[/quote]

DV, what I put in bold in your post is what may have some up in arms. You cannot make that kind of claim just on one game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83