Silsbee vs HJ.....Who you got and why!

BADSANTA

Who wins?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Silsbee
    • Hardin Jefferson

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1363558" timestamp="1358225418"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108173.msg1363551#msg1363551 date=1358223044]
WO is very athletic.  But perhaps some additional information might provide some more meaningful insight.  WO won the game.  WO outrebounded HJ handily.  HJ post man missed more than half the game in fould trouble.  Hj shot 33% from the free throw line, 28% from the field, and 10% from three point range.  In spite of that HJ had a shot to win the game at the buzzer on WO home court.  Therefore, I respectfully suggest that WO athleticism was not the main problem for HJ.  However, I fully understand just how "enlightened" it sounds for some Monday morning quarterbacks to say that.  My guess is that HJ is not likely to repeat the above stats when they meet WO in Sour Lake but I fully understand anything is possible.
[/quote]

I spoke with WO-S head coach the next morning after that game. Those numbers you posted are accurate, but WO-S shot the same low percentage from the field as HJ did. WO-S did make some free throws down the stretch, but had they shot a descent % from the field, it probably doesn't come down to a last shot for HJ. ;)
[/quote]

Maybe it would be interesting to compare WOS season shooting numbers to that night and then do the same for HJ

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1363542" timestamp="1358220697"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108173.msg1363540#msg1363540 date=1358220358]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=108173.msg1363530#msg1363530 date=1358213638]
Silsbee takes this game.  Seems that H-J had trouble with other athletic teams.  Silsbee has plenty of athletes.
[/quote]

Soulja- did you find Longview to be athletic when Central beat them by three just a couple of weeks after HJ beat them by 17?
[/quote] The majority of Longview players are "football athletic."
[/quote]

So does that mean the Longview players were football athletic when they played HJ but were basketball athletic when they played Central?  Odd- I was always under the impression that athletic abilities could be applied to all sports endeavours

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1363570" timestamp="1358254741"]
Does this match up seem to lose a little steemnot being a home game?
[/quote]Not having the Home court advantage.....not having all the talk about a packed gym and getting there early just to get a seat....not having the Fresh and JV games leading up to the Var. game.....all this takes away from the excitement a little.

On the other hand, having parents of the players not have to worry about seeing their child play makes it worth playing at Ford Park.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1363566" timestamp="1358252902"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=108173.msg1363558#msg1363558 date=1358225418]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108173.msg1363551#msg1363551 date=1358223044]
WO is very athletic.  But perhaps some additional information might provide some more meaningful insight.  WO won the game.  WO outrebounded HJ handily.  HJ post man missed more than half the game in fould trouble.  Hj shot 33% from the free throw line, 28% from the field, and 10% from three point range.  In spite of that HJ had a shot to win the game at the buzzer on WO home court.  Therefore, I respectfully suggest that WO athleticism was not the main problem for HJ.  However, I fully understand just how "enlightened" it sounds for some Monday morning quarterbacks to say that.  My guess is that HJ is not likely to repeat the above stats when they meet WO in Sour Lake but I fully understand anything is possible.
[/quote]

I spoke with WO-S head coach the next morning after that game. Those numbers you posted are accurate, but WO-S shot the same low percentage from the field as HJ did. WO-S did make some free throws down the stretch, but had they shot a descent % from the field, it probably doesn't come down to a last shot for HJ. ;)
[/quote]

Maybe it would be interesting to compare WOS season shooting numbers to that night and then do the same for HJ
[/quote]

Jason told me that was about as low a shooting percentage as they have shot all season.

HJ Freshman won 70 - 34. Good looking group of athletes (of course I may be biased) I am glad that the HJ coaches decided to keep them together as opposed to moving a few up. No practice can replace a group playing together in game situation.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1363567" timestamp="1358253456"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=108173.msg1363542#msg1363542 date=1358220697]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108173.msg1363540#msg1363540 date=1358220358]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=108173.msg1363530#msg1363530 date=1358213638]
Silsbee takes this game.  Seems that H-J had trouble with other athletic teams.  Silsbee has plenty of athletes.
[/quote]

Soulja- did you find Longview to be athletic when Central beat them by three just a couple of weeks after HJ beat them by 17?
[/quote] The majority of Longview players are "football athletic."
[/quote]

So does that mean the Longview players were football athletic when they played HJ but were basketball athletic when they played Central?  Odd- I was always under the impression that athletic abilities could be applied to all sports endeavours
[/quote]

According to Coach Goffney (head coach Longview), his team was "night and day" in comparison as to how they played the week of Dec. 6-8 (HJ tourney) and when they played the Gamble tourney Dec. 27-29. Longview just got their football players the week of the HJ tourney and had not won a game coming into that tourney. Billy told me they had 1 practice with those players who now make up 3/4 of the varsity team.

When I spoke with him at the Gamble tourney, he said that the three weeks of play along with the practices since the HJ tourney had made a world of difference. They were playing much better basketball at the Gamble. I saw Longview play a game at HJ tourney and saw all their games at the Gamble. I agree with Coach Goffney, night and day.

[quote name="ST413" post="1363085" timestamp="1358051549"]
This one is should be interesting as always.  The Tigers have probably 7 of the top 10 players in the game,  while HJ has the top 2 if not 3 shooters on the floor.  Coaching is about a wash. The big key may be who plays better as a team.  I know at times this year it has seemed that the Tigers  haven't  played near as well in that respect as they did last year.  I also know that their has been rumors on here of some problems in that respect for the Hawks as well, I don't know  if thats true or not.  I do know the Tigers have begun to get better in that respect.  They just need to play good solid defense in this one and not let those shooters have open shots.  Depth from what I have seen is on the side of the Tigers as 10 or 11 players get regular playing time. The few games I saw the Hawks play they only went 7 or 8 deep.  That may have changed by now.  I feel that my Tigers will pull this one out in the end.  Lets just hope for a good game with no injuries.
[/quote] why is silsbee only playing 7 of there top ten...

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1363558" timestamp="1358225418"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hj never has a night like they had that night, WOS does from time to time. I guess we will just have to play the game instead of determining the winner on this website.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1363579" timestamp="1358257314"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=108173.msg1363085#msg1363085 date=1358051549]
This one is should be interesting as always.  The Tigers have probably 7 of the top 10 players in the game,  while HJ has the top 2 if not 3 shooters on the floor.  Coaching is about a wash. The big key may be who plays better as a team.  I know at times this year it has seemed that the Tigers  haven't  played near as well in that respect as they did last year.  I also know that their has been rumors on here of some problems in that respect for the Hawks as well, I don't know  if thats true or not.  I do know the Tigers have begun to get better in that respect.  They just need to play good solid defense in this one and not let those shooters have open shots.  Depth from what I have seen is on the side of the Tigers as 10 or 11 players get regular playing time. The few games I saw the Hawks play they only went 7 or 8 deep.  That may have changed by now.  I feel that my Tigers will pull this one out in the end.  Lets just hope for a good game with no injuries.
[/quote]

I think ST413 was stating that Silsbee has 7 of the top 10 players combined with HJ. Meaning of the top 10 players combined, Silsbee has 7, HJ 3.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1363580" timestamp="1358257484"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=108173.msg1363558#msg1363558 date=1358225418]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hj never has a night like they had that night, WOS does from time to time. I guess we will just have to play the game instead of determining the winner on this website.
[/quote]

Well, in regards to the game being discussed, WO-S did play and win the game. ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1363581" timestamp="1358257574"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=108173.msg1363579#msg1363579 date=1358257314]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=108173.msg1363085#msg1363085 date=1358051549]
[/quote]

I think ST413 was stating that Silsbee has 7 of the top 10 players combined with HJ. Meaning of the top 10 players combined, Silsbee has 7, HJ 3.
[/quote]

Exactly.....,

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1363570" timestamp="1358254741"]
Does this match up seem to lose a little steemnot being a home game?
[/quote]

I think this is better for all involved but it does take some of the excitement away in losing the small packed gym atmosphere.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1363582" timestamp="1358257645"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=108173.msg1363580#msg1363580 date=1358257484]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, in regards to the game being discussed, WO-S did play and win the game. ;)
[/quote]

No doubt about it.  And I am hopeful that we will be holding a similar discussion about a game on the night of Jan 25th with, perhaps, different results.

We will see tonight, although I don't give us much of a chance being we only have 3 of the top ten players. That is overwhelming odds to overcome to play a team with 7 of the top 10 players. Good thing there are just opinions on here. Unlike some if we lose I will give props to the winner not excuses. Good luck to my Hawks against overwhelming odds.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1363599" timestamp="1358261724"]
We will see tonight, although I don't give us much of a chance being we only have 3 of the top ten players. That is overwhelming odds to overcome to play a team with 7 of the top 10 players. Good thing there are just opinions on here. Unlike some if we lose I will give props to the winner not excuses. Good luck to my Hawks against overwhelming odds.
[/quote]OMG!!!!!!!  :'( :'(

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1363601" timestamp="1358261832"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=108173.msg1363599#msg1363599 date=1358261724]
[/quote]

Get real Dove.  We all know how excited you are that there is a distinct possiblity/likelihood that the Hawks are going down tonight. ( why arent you responding to my question to you on the political board HMMMM)

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1363603" timestamp="1358262200"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=108173.msg1363601#msg1363601 date=1358261832]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=108173.msg1363599#msg1363599 date=1358261724]
[/quote]

Get real Dove.  We all know how excited you are that there is a distinct possiblity/likelihood that the Hawks are going down tonight. ( why arent you responding to my question to you on the political board HMMMM)
[/quote]But, there is a 50% chance that HJ will win tonite. Political Board? Oh ok

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1363612" timestamp="1358264126"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108173.msg1363603#msg1363603 date=1358262200]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=108173.msg1363601#msg1363601 date=1358261832]
[/quote]

[/quote]But, there is a 50% chance that HJ will win tonite. Political Board? Oh ok
[/quote]

How could you assign a 50% chance when there is such a schedule disparity?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami