Football-Family-Deer

Now that playoff time is here we have to decide how to best spend our leisure time. I have been hunting a huge old buck deer for a few years now and last Friday had to make a monumental decision. I had a feeling that big deer would be out cruising around for girl deer but Ned was playing for a district championship vs. Bmt. Central. It was gut wrenching. My Dad is 85 and we don't miss many games. He is probably in a small handful of fans his age still able to go see them. It ended up a no brainer decision. We went to that game and saw the kids win. Up in the woods Saturday morning a guy hunting near my honey hole nearly fainted when a huge buck chased a doe by him but recovered enough to make the shot. The deer is a typical 14 pt. that green scored 190+ B & C points. My buddy told me the deer came from the direction I hunt and maybe had I been there I could have shot that deer. I think about that and feel a very little remorse because the smile on my Dad's face after that game was priceless. No deer that has ever walked the earth could equal that smile. The great thing about the story is that I know there will always be big deer and that will last forever. So will the mental image after that ball game. Can't say that about loved ones. I certainly made a good decision. :)

Great story!!  I have all of my memories from growing up and attending every HS football game and getting to watch my older brother play for years.  It is something now that I cherish even more when I see that same passion I have for the love of the game in the eyes of my children every Friday night.

My father was an extremely loyal season ticket holder to all Vidor Pirate games and took me to them since I could remember. He passed in 1998. There is not a football game, especially since we make regular appearances in the playoffs, that my brother and I don't reminisce and wish he were there with us. Especially since he didn't get to see them make the playoffs but twice in his lifetime. Great post, enjoy the time with your father. +1

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn