Devante Johnson

[quote name="freeze 1914" post="1297661" timestamp="1350046346"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=104514.msg1297470#msg1297470 date=1350007953]
That kid can hoop!
[/quote]
Yes he can, but I know he feels kind of left out that everyone around him is recieving letters and some he is better than are. He will play ball somewhere. Most people dont know this but he is suppose to be a junior, but was moved up a grade in elementary. He is not even 17 yet.
[/quote]

I am pretty close to the program in which Devante plays and have been told personally that he has been spoken with and knows that his recruiting is moving along just fine.  He is, in no way, upset about what is or isnt coming in the mail.  Coaches have shown up to watch in person.  That means much more than letters in the mail.  Devante's play will take care of itself and his college future.  No need to speculate any further on what is or isn't going on with Devante.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1299225" timestamp="1350127719"]
[quote author=freeze 1914 link=topic=104514.msg1297661#msg1297661 date=1350046346]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=104514.msg1297470#msg1297470 date=1350007953]
That kid can hoop!
[/quote]
Yes he can, but I know he feels kind of left out that everyone around him is recieving letters and some he is better than are. He will play ball somewhere. Most people dont know this but he is suppose to be a junior, but was moved up a grade in elementary. He is not even 17 yet.
[/quote]

I am pretty close to the program in which Devante plays and have been told personally that he has been spoken with and knows that his recruiting is moving along just fine.  He is, in no way, upset about what is or isnt coming in the mail.  Coaches have shown up to watch in person.  That means much more than letters in the mail.  Devante's play will take care of itself and his college future.  No need to speculate any further on what is or isn't going on with Devante.
[/quote] "Pretty close to the program?" Thats an understatement ;D

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1297297" timestamp="1349996334"]
Devante will do better than McNeese St  ;)
[/quote]

If u honestly believe that McNese St. is not a good enough school for Devante then u need to come see me so I can buy the stuff that ur on. Just because its Southland doesn't mean that it is the bottom. It's still a D1 school and most kids who come out of this area who are at the same level or better than Devonte have ended at JuCo or D2/D3.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as just getting on to you 5on5, but I'm just tired of people on this site thinking that the leap from high school to D1(in any sport) is just so easy that everyone can do it in this area.

[quote name="freeze 1914" post="1300109" timestamp="1350184155"]
To be honest devante is a southland or sun belt caliber player. A lot of good players from the area think they are big 12 or SEC ready but they really are not
[/quote] I'm beginning to see kids who I've seen since the 6th grade or 7th grade positioning themselves for college. Without naming a very well-known player out of the Houston area, he is getting visits from Texas A&M Corpus Chrisiti & Southland Conference type schools. He's visited a couple of Big 12 schools. Here the problem he is now running into. He wants to go play at a Big 12 type of school. He's 6'6" but UT told him he's gotta improve his ball handling skills. Kid has played the post all his career ( a tweener player). Until the head coach offers, can't take none of this for granted. You hear people say "keep grinding" but you gotta know what kind of grinding to do to prepare.

RCS has a list of kids and which conference(s) in which they are projected to attend college. A couple of local kids on the list. Someone mentioned earlier that he played AAU ball this past summer with a 16U team and not a 17/18U team. Maybe he was not on their list bc he was not noticed at the lower level? Although I'm not a huge fan of AAU, I agree it is a necessary evil which kids should play if they want to get noticed.

It's not easy to play in the Big 12. One has to be exceptional to get a scholarship with UT, Baylor, A&M, etc. Same with C-USA. As we have now learned, some of the better basketball kids in our area are not good enough to play in the SLC. I think a kid with the skill sets like Devante would be thrilled to be able to play for McNeese. Here's a question: Does Devante even want to play college basketball? Some kids get burned out after HS and AAU.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1300363" timestamp="1350232026"]
RCS has a list of kids and which conference(s) in which they are projected to attend college. A couple of local kids on the list. Someone mentioned earlier that he played AAU ball this past summer with a 16U team and not a 17/18U team. Maybe he was not on their list bc he was not noticed at the lower level? Although I'm not a huge fan of AAU, I agree it is a necessary evil which kids should play if they want to get noticed.

[b]It's not easy to play in the Big 12. One has to be exceptional to get a scholarship with UT, Baylor, A&M, etc[/b]. Same with C-USA. As we have now learned, some of the better basketball kids in our area are not good enough to play in the SLC. I think a kid with the skill sets like Devante would be thrilled to be able to play for McNeese. Here's a question: Does Devante even want to play college basketball? Some kids get burned out after HS and AAU.
[/quote]

Uh Abe, A&M is SEC now. ;) ;D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1300391" timestamp="1350234066"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=104514.msg1300363#msg1300363 date=1350232026]

[b]It's not easy to play in the Big 12. One has to be exceptional to get a scholarship with UT, Baylor, A&M, etc[/b]. Same with C-USA. As we have now learned, some of the better basketball kids in our area are not good enough to play in the SLC. I think a kid with the skill sets like Devante would be thrilled to be able to play for McNeese. Here's a question: Does Devante even want to play college basketball? Some kids get burned out after HS and AAU.
[/quote]

Uh Abe, A&M is SEC now. ;) ;D
[/quote]When did that happen? JK! Thanks for the reminder AAW!  ;)

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1300363" timestamp="1350232026"]

It's not easy to play in the Big 12. One has to be exceptional to get a scholarship with UT, Baylor, A&M, etc. Same with C-USA. As we have now learned, some of the better basketball kids in our area are not good enough to play in the SLC. I think a kid with the skill sets like Devante would be thrilled to be able to play for McNeese. Here's a question: Does Devante even want to play college basketball? Some kids get burned out after HS and AAU.

[/quote]
Yes he wants to play college ball. That's all he has been talking about. Just a reminder most of setx best players have been in the southland conference

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83