SETXSPORTS TOP TEN (WEEK 2)

Another week has come and gone for SE Texas baseball. Last week's 'surprise team', the HF Longhorns lost their only game (5-4 to Silsbee) and everyone (save and except Barbers Hill) took on at least 1 loss. One of our preseason favorties (PNG) sits at 2-7 and is in disarray while Nederland suddenly looks 'for real' following a 10-0 pounding delivered to #1 Bridge City. Thanks for the votes, phone calls, emails and 1 pm....and here it is: Weeks 2's Top Ten:

1. WEST BROOK

Another big offensive week for the Bruins, scoring 52 runs in 5 games and going 3-2 in their own tournament (the losses including a last inning rally at the hands of nationally ranked LC Barbe). With the emergence of RHP David Murphy as a solid #2, the Bruins pitching appears to be rounding in shape but forget the pitching....these guys are bashing the baseball. 100 runs in two weeks? 101 hits? Four guys in this lineup are hitting over .400 (Armstrong, Ferguson, Murphy and Serna) while 2 more (Lycan and Falgout) are knocking on that door. THis team can hit, and, for at least this week, the Cardinals are out and the Bruins are in.

2. BRIDGE CITY

The Cards split with both Nederland and Sulphur down in the Nederland Tourney but a concern rises when you notice that they were outscored by a margin of 24-11. LHP Angelle was sharp in his 4-1 win over Nederland but #2 LHP Haymon was hit hard in the 10-0 run rule loss to that same team. The lack of offense continues to plague the Big Red. Are they still the best in 3A? Probably....at least in this area. But one pitcher and very little offense projects trouble down the road. In any event, 1 pitcher and an inconsistent offense (especially against quality opponents) drops you in our polls. Sorry, Billy...you're #2.

3. LCM

The Bears 2-3 showing in Brenham is a lot better than the record indicates but not what the faithful had hoped for. This team is both talented and deep but a 10-0 loss (even if it was to state-ranked Brenham) and losses to 4A Texas City and Santa Fee raises questions as to whether this is the juggernaunt everyone expected. This team is, however, loaded for a district (and playoff) run with their pitching remaining strong at the top and good offense down through the lineup. Ehlert continues to justify his selection as the Pre-Season MVP and Dugas has proven himself in his own right. Add to the mix players such as Womack, Cassidy, Schneider and Rowell, and you see how this team will be at or near the top of everybody's rankings all year long.

4. NEDERLAND

They lost two tough games to BC (4-1) and Sulphur (3-1) but rebounded to crush BC (10-0) and edge Sulphur (4-3). This is a team that is seeming to get better. RHP Smith is still one of the area's best while LHP Stanley literally tied BC in knots in his 2-hit shutout over the Cards. Young MacFarland adds new and needed pop to the 'Dogs lineup. This performance (on the heels of last week's superb performance at The Woodlands Tournament) shows that Nederland has roared past PNG among District 20-4A hopefuls and is closing ground on front-runner LCM. I say it again -- that is gonna be one tough district.

5. BARBERS HILL

What do we know about the Eagles? Not much....except they're still undefeated at 8-0. Granted, their schedule has not been one that inspires awe (the Hitchcock and Sealy Tournaments?) but, still, they've made it through two weeks without a loss. That earns them a place in our Top Ten.

6. JASPER

The Bulldogs lost the 'game of the week' on Tuesday (4-1 to Lufkin Hudson) but rebounded to finish second at the Whitehouse Tournament, losing the championship game to Paris. Sr. RHP Alvis and Soph. LHP Parsons both continue to impress people throughout SE Texas. It remains to be seen how good this team really is but they have played a very competitive schedule in the early going. By the time district rolls around, this will be a hardened, battle-ready team.

7. VIDOR

The Pirates continue to confound us 'experts'. They play very inconsistently in the Kelly Tourney last week and then start this week by getting drilled 8-2 by Kelly...only to turn it all around and win the WOS Tournament by 'blowing out' Buna, OF and Warren before edging WOS 4-3 in the finals. They're young but Coach Green may have gotten this team to turn the corner. It may still be a reach for these guys to make the playoffs in their District but PNG has played itself back into the pack. Who knows? The Vidor-PNG game may turn out to be the 'game of the year' for District 20-4A. And who woulda thunk it?

8. HAMSHIRE-FANNETT

Last week's fair-haired team, the Longhorns played only 1 game this week...and lost it to Silsbee. Upset? Only time will tell. I haven't forgotten that this is the team that beat both LCM and Jasper on the same weekend and that justifies our continued faith in them...but they still drop form #5 to #8. This is a big week for the Horns...contender or pretender?

9. WEST ORANGE STARK

The Mustangs finish 2nd in their own tourney including a 6-5 win over Silsbee before losing a one-run decision in the finals to Vidor. Nothing much has changed for the Mustangs...they still rely heavily on the pitching duo of Sparks and Ayers but there was some cause for concern earlier this week when Ayers was rocked early in the 'Stangs shocking loss to Buna. I've said it before...this team goes only as far as those 2 guys can carry them...fortunately, they're both 2 pretty good guys.

10. SILSBEE

Silsbee finishes 3rd at WOS tournament and started the week off with a bang by knocking off HF at the 'Horns own park. RHP Joel Schooling serves youth well with the win in that game. The Tigers are very young, especially on the mound (relying heavily on 2 sophs to carry the burden there) but they play very hard and find a way to win. OF Calhoun is playing through his ankle injury and remains the catalyst of this team's offense. Keep him, and the young pitchers churning, and Silsbee has got themselves a winner. For now, they make the cut at #10.

FALLING OUT:

PNG -- The Indians are 2-7. They went 1-5 this weekand were shutout in 3 of those games. They only scored a total of 11 runs in those 6 games. This team is in disarray and better get fixed fast.

MEMORIAL -- The Titans lost to 3A HJ....'nuff said.

This is it, folks....thanks to all who voted or contributed. Keep those emails coming....

Could not agree more on PNG WAY TO MUCH TALENT to be playing this weak. when PNG played West Brook it look as if West Brook was calling the pitches. Coach Stone really needs to find away to bring this team together, getting Blake Buchanan back should help alot, will it cure all of the problems ???????????????

Kinda confused on the LCM ranking :roll: How can you get shutout in your own tournament, runruled, and still keep a top 5 ranking?

Nederland continues to disappoint me along with PNG...All these parents, who pay for hitting and pitching lessons, need to mix in a defensive lesson once in a while.or just teach their kids to tie their glove to thier shoe and save a couple of bucks..I have never seen such poor defensive play...

I wouldn't say that the HF vs Silsbee was an upset....it was a 1 run ball game in which, HF threw their #3 and Silsbee threw their #1

The game was @ silsbee because of the light situation...

If jasper doesnt' start throwing someone else besides alvis and parsons these two will have to learn to throw with the other arm....

Is this poll based on how they are predicted to finish, or how they are playing as of right now???

Thanks for the poll, again getting me through another week of work...

You are right. Both TC and Santa Fe are 4A....just a typo at 1 in the morning. Had an 'editorial deadline' to meet. I didn't know they had moved the HF-Silsbee game and understand that the matchups pitching-wise may have been somewhat unbalanced. Strange I didn't hear that from any HF people when they beat LCM without Ehlert on the mound...

As far as the poll, and I won't speak for the other contributors, but it is a combination of how they're playing now (i.e., what have you done for me lately) and their projected/overall ability. For example, LCM has lost to HF (7-0). I still think overall LCM is the better team. Likewise, I saw the same score as everyone else (Brenham 10 LCM 0) but also know it was a 1-0 game late when Griff decided not to overthrow his starter and went to his bullpen. While this may mean that LCM is not as deep as once thought, it doesn't distract from the fact that they are very good with their 'best' people playing/pitching.

The same is true for BC -- they got 'run ruled' by Nederland in 1 of the games this weekend (although this may be more of a concern since BC did start their #2 LHP Haymon). This kinda stuff happens a lot, especially during the tournament part of the season when everyone is playing 4-6 games over a 3 day period.

I disagree with the comment about Nederland -- they have played well so far especially when you consider all the talent they lost from last year (the same comment could be made about West Brook). The 'intestinal fortitude' they showed against The Woodlands is commendable and they did beat both BC and Sulphur this weekend. Their losses were close ones. The Bulldogs are playing very competitively right now.

PNG has disappointed but their problem this weekend wasn't poor defense. They actually played pretty well defensively. For example, they only made 1 error (and it was late) against WB but they still got shelled 10-0. Take away the very lackluster win over an overmatched Hemphill team (7-0) and it was a very, very bad week for the Indians (4 runs in 4 games). Granted, the played an otherwise competitive schedule (5A Baytown Sterling, West Brook, Brazoswood, Lufkin and Lake Charles Barbe) but they just aren't playing well.

Its a wild time of the season with different matchups, etc. I think that this will all start to crystalize once District play starts for everyone and it is truly 'for real'. That'll be a fun thread after this weekend....WHO MAKES THE PLAYOFFS FROM EACH DISTRICT? That should help everyone through an otherwise dull week of work!!!!

The unbalanced comment was in response to the statement that Silsbee threw their #1 against HF's #3. I am aware that Silsbee's pitching staff is young (I've made reference to it several times on this board) but that doesn't distract from the fact that HF apparently did not throw their 'ace' while Silsbee did. Granted, I am surprised HF did not throw their #1, given the fact that they had no other games last week but, hey, I'm not the coach down there. Regardless of age/classification, who would you rather face -- someone's #1 or their #3? That's what I meant by unbalanced. I did not mean to take away from the Tigers' win -- it was a great win for them.

Guest bigred99

Another week has come and gone for SE Texas baseball. Last week's 'surprise team'' date=' the HF Longhorns lost their only game (5-4 to Silsbee) and everyone (save and except Barbers Hill) took on at least 1 loss. One of our preseason favorties (PNG) sits at 2-7 and is in disarray while Nederland suddenly looks 'for real' following a 10-0 pounding delivered to #1 Bridge City. Thanks for the votes, phone calls, emails and 1 pm....and here it is: Weeks 2's Top Ten:

1. WEST BROOK

2. BRIDGE CITY

3. LCM

4. NEDERLAND

5. BARBERS HILL

6. JASPER

7. VIDOR

8. HAMSHIRE-FANNETT

9. WEST ORANGE STARK

10. SILSBEE

FALLING OUT:

PNG -- The Indians are 2-7. They went 1-5 this weekand were shutout in 3 of those games. They only scored a total of 11 runs in those 6 games. This team is in disarray and better get fixed fast.

This is it, folks....thanks to all who voted or contributed. Keep those emails coming....[/quote']

1 game head up we still should be No 1.

2 out of 3 different story at this point. Our defense must get a little tighter as our other pitchers are getting hit a little and were not making the plays.

6 3A's still in your top 10.

Guest bigred99

All these parents' date=' who pay for hitting and pitching lessons, need to mix in a defensive lesson once in a while.or just teach their kids to tie their glove to thier shoe and save a couple of bucks..I have never seen such poor defensive play...[/quote']

Amen

I guess I'd support a WB vs. BC game -- but WB would never do it. Why would Coach Walton do it?

In a 1 game 'play off', I do disagree that BC necessarily wins. From a position standpoint, the only kid at BC who starts at WB is probably Dishon. Conversely, you take any of the WB position players (other than the OF who plays when Serna pitches) and they all start at BC. THe only close call there is at C where Jackson MAY have the edge over Wallace (w very talented sophs).

Granted, Angelle is a very good pitcher and, with an 'on' night, he gives anyone fits. By the same token, WB sees pitching this good and better all season long (actually, they already have). Once they get to District, they see Ojala and Touchton (both major D1 signees who, quite frankly, have more velocity and as much command as Angelle) from Kingwood and Berry (Rice) and Corrigan (UH) from Humble. Then, you get Dempsay from Sterling (88-90 and 1st Team All District and All Houston). The upshot is that WB won't be intimidated by velocity that is topping at 86 or 87 mph.

Then, in your 1 game playoff, you still have to hit Serna. Given that BC couldn't hit a LH who was throwing 80 in Nederland, I would think a LH who sits at 85-86 and has a breaking pitch nearly as good as Angelle's best will cause some issues...especially given BC's very inconsistent offense.

Would I bet the farm on this? No...but beating up on Buna 3 or 4 times in the preseason ain't the same thing. Remember -- it was BC who backed out of the LCM tourney to go play at Kelly (and avoiding LCM, Jasper and HF). I'll take West Brook in the 1 game. And, yes....I would bet the farm on a 2 out of 3 format.

I mean that's just my opinion. I know most (if not all) of the kids on both teams. They're good players. It would be a heckuva game (the greatest game never to occur?). Personally, I'd rather see BC-LCM and see who gets to be "King of Orange County". When someone suggest that, I'll make that prediction, too.

Good luck this week to all.

Another week has come and gone for SE Texas baseball. Last week's 'surprise team'' date=' the HF Longhorns lost their only game (5-4 to Silsbee) and everyone (save and except Barbers Hill) took on at least 1 loss. One of our preseason favorties (PNG) sits at 2-7 and is in disarray while Nederland suddenly looks 'for real' following a 10-0 pounding delivered to #1 Bridge City. Thanks for the votes, phone calls, emails and 1 pm....and here it is: Weeks 2's Top Ten:

The Pirates continue to confound us 'experts'. They play very inconsistently in the Kelly Tourney last week and then start this week by getting drilled 8-2 by Kelly...only to turn it all around and win the WOS Tournament by 'blowing out' Buna, OF and Warren before edging WOS 4-3 in the finals. They're young but Coach Green may have gotten this team to turn the corner. It may still be a reach for these guys to make the playoffs in their District but PNG has played itself back into the pack. Who knows? The Vidor-PNG game may turn out to be the 'game of the year' for District 20-4A. And who woulda thunk it?

10. SILSBEE

Silsbee finishes 3rd at WOS tournament and started the week off with a bang by knocking off HF at the 'Horns own park. RHP Joel Schooling serves youth well with the win in that game. The Tigers are very young, especially on the mound (relying heavily on 2 sophs to carry the burden there) but they play very hard and find a way to win. OF Calhoun is playing through his ankle injury and remains the catalyst of this team's offense. Keep him, and the young pitchers churning, and Silsbee has got themselves a winner. For now, they make the cut at #10.

Silsbee finished 3rd at the Orangefield tournament. The HF game was in Silsbee due to light problems in Hamshire. Schooling is a JR. Just wanted to clear-up a few things.

This is it, folks....thanks to all who voted or contributed. Keep those emails coming....[/quote']

Guest bigred99

Ok, how about BC vs LCM matchup MIF04

Nothing against the HF pitcher who shut LCM out, Angelle probably would do the same, and if he was a little off then Stringer could finish the job.

Man for man I feel the Cards are little deeper, Jackson can swing it as good as Rowell who is a good catcher. Right now LCM's left side might be better but BC has Coleman and Angelle/Haymon on the right side.

LF and CF is a lock with Sparks and Dishon that leaves a space in RF.

Guest Cardinal12

I think BC's ace (Angelle) against West Brooks best and I think BC would be favoried. Not saying West Brook doesn't deserve the so called #1 spot i just think BC could take them head on.

1. WEST BROOK

Another big offensive week for the Bruins, scoring 52 runs in 5 games and going 3-2 in their own tournament (the losses including a last inning rally at the hands of nationally ranked LC Barbe). With the emergence of RHP David Murphy as a solid #2, the Bruins pitching appears to be rounding in shape but forget the pitching....these guys are bashing the baseball. 100 runs in two weeks? 101 hits? Four guys in this lineup are hitting over .400 (Armstrong, Ferguson, Murphy and Serna) while 2 more (Lycan and Falgout) are knocking on that door. THis team can hit, and, for at least this week, the Cardinals are out and the Bruins are in.

2. BRIDGE CITY

The Cards split with both Nederland and Sulphur down in the Nederland Tourney but a concern rises when you notice that they were outscored by a margin of 24-11. LHP Angelle was sharp in his 4-1 win over Nederland but #2 LHP Haymon was hit hard in the 10-0 run rule loss to that same team. The lack of offense continues to plague the Big Red. Are they still the best in 3A? Probably....at least in this area. But one pitcher and very little offense projects trouble down the road. In any event, 1 pitcher and an inconsistent offense (especially against quality opponents) drops you in our polls. Sorry, Billy...you're #2.

3. LCM

The Bears 2-3 showing in Brenham is a lot better than the record indicates but not what the faithful had hoped for. This team is both talented and deep but a 10-0 loss (even if it was to state-ranked Brenham) and losses to 4A Texas City and Santa Fee raises questions as to whether this is the juggernaunt everyone expected. This team is, however, loaded for a district (and playoff) run with their pitching remaining strong at the top and good offense down through the lineup. Ehlert continues to justify his selection as the Pre-Season MVP and Dugas has proven himself in his own right. Add to the mix players such as Womack, Cassidy, Schneider and Rowell, and you see how this team will be at or near the top of everybody's rankings all year long.

4. NEDERLAND

They lost two tough games to BC (4-1) and Sulphur (3-1) but rebounded to crush BC (10-0) and edge Sulphur (4-3). This is a team that is seeming to get better. RHP Smith is still one of the area's best while LHP Stanley literally tied BC in knots in his 2-hit shutout over the Cards. Young MacFarland adds new and needed pop to the 'Dogs lineup. This performance (on the heels of last week's superb performance at The Woodlands Tournament) shows that Nederland has roared past PNG among District 20-4A hopefuls and is closing ground on front-runner LCM. I say it again -- that is gonna be one tough district.

5. BARBERS HILL

What do we know about the Eagles? Not much....except they're still undefeated at 8-0. Granted, their schedule has not been one that inspires awe (the Hitchcock and Sealy Tournaments?) but, still, they've made it through two weeks without a loss. That earns them a place in our Top Ten.

6. JASPER

The Bulldogs lost the 'game of the week' on Tuesday (4-1 to Lufkin Hudson) but rebounded to finish second at the Whitehouse Tournament, losing the championship game to Paris. Sr. RHP Alvis and Soph. LHP Parsons both continue to impress people throughout SE Texas. It remains to be seen how good this team really is but they have played a very competitive schedule in the early going. By the time district rolls around, this will be a hardened, battle-ready team.

7. VIDOR

8. HAMSHIRE-FANNETT

Last week's fair-haired team, the Longhorns played only 1 game this week...and lost it to Silsbee. Upset? Only time will tell. I haven't forgotten that this is the team that beat both LCM and Jasper on the same weekend and that justifies our continued faith in them...but they still drop form #5 to #8. This is a big week for the Horns...contender or pretender?

9. WEST ORANGE STARK

The Mustangs finish 2nd in their own tourney including a 6-5 win over Silsbee before losing a one-run decision in the finals to Vidor. Nothing much has changed for the Mustangs...they still rely heavily on the pitching duo of Sparks and Ayers but there was some cause for concern earlier this week when Ayers was rocked early in the 'Stangs shocking loss to Buna. I've said it before...this team goes only as far as those 2 guys can carry them...fortunately, they're both 2 pretty good guys.

10. SILSBEE

FALLING OUT:

This is it, folks....thanks to all who voted or contributed. Keep those emails coming....[/quote']Isn't HJ good? I know they was ever since I've known them to play baseball. Classification doesnt matter in baseball. I know Jasper can beat some 5A teams.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83