Silsbee Basketball

[quote name="MBaller#1" post="1290265" timestamp="1349364058"]
What will it take for Silsbee to be recognized nationally maybe if they get to play Yates and somehow upset them ,even if not I wish they could continue to play teams like that and really build a solid program.
[/quote] For Silsbee to compete on that level, they would have to start recruiting-plain & simple.

[quote name="86hawk" post="1290310" timestamp="1349368795"]
If they were to recruit, is there enough of a talent pool in the Golden Triangle to compete with the likes of Yates?  I no longer live in the GT and just follow the scores and posts on this site.
[/quote] Its possible. S.E.Texas could start their own prep school and recruit a couple of kids from Orange, Hardin, Jefferson, &  :-\ counties.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1290316" timestamp="1349369380"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=104118.msg1290283#msg1290283 date=1349365334]
I have to agree with Dove, top be considered on the national level like Yates you have to recruit like Yates!
[/quote] I didn't say Yates recruited  ;D
[/quote]

You may not have said it but you know it.

[quote name="MBaller#1" post="1290265" timestamp="1349364058"]
What will it take for Silsbee to be recognized nationally maybe if they get to play Yates and somehow upset them ,even if not I wish they could continue to play teams like that and really build a solid program.
[/quote]

Wow- I thought that Silsbee has already built a very solid program.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1290332" timestamp="1349371688"]
[quote author=MBaller#1 link=topic=104118.msg1290265#msg1290265 date=1349364058]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree Steve. Silsbee has a solid basketball program.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1290332" timestamp="1349371688"]
[quote author=MBaller#1 link=topic=104118.msg1290265#msg1290265 date=1349364058]
[/quote]

[/quote] Hmmm! So, now you're thinking Silsbee's program isn't as solid as some thought and will take time to rebuild. Unlike HJ, whose program is solid and ready to compete for district champs.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1290345" timestamp="1349372631"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=104118.msg1290332#msg1290332 date=1349371688]
[/quote]

[/quote] Hmmm! So, now you're thinking Silsbee's program isn't as solid as some thought and will take time to rebuild. Unlike HJ, whose program is solid and ready to compete for district champs.
[/quote]

Perhaps I dont understand your post Dove.  It would seem that I stated that Silsbee ALREADY has a solid basetkball program but you tell me I am "thinking" it isn't solid?  Very confusing.

[quote name="86hawk" post="1290310" timestamp="1349368795"]
If they were to recruit, is there enough of a talent pool in the Golden Triangle to compete with the likes of Yates?  I no longer live in the GT and just follow the scores and posts on this site.
[/quote]

That answer would be no!  And if it happened here it would get caught.  It is much easier to find talent and hide recruitment in a city the size of Houston, dense population in a relatively small area, than it its in an area such as the golden triangle with less population and more area.

National Schools like Findley Prep, Houston Yates, Oak Hill, Siemon etc......you must have a system that recruits local talent all to one school. Now way Silsbee plays within 30 points of either of these schools. Silsbee is one of very few local team(Golden Triangle)  that has been ranked in USA today in the last 25 years. Silsbee was ranked in the top 20 in 1997, Ozen was ranked high during the Perkins era, and PA Lincoln was ranked a few times in the late 80's and 90's. The one the thing each of these schools had in common was that they all had a McDonalds All American playing for them. If Silsbee won back to back state championships and had a record of 70-0 over that stretch, they might get a vote to crack the top 25.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1290457" timestamp="1349378920"]
National Schools like Findley Prep, Houston Yates, Oak Hill, Siemon etc......you must have a system that recruits local talent all to one school. Now way Silsbee plays within 30 points of either of these schools. Silsbee is one of very few local team(Golden Triangle)  that has been ranked in USA today in the last 25 years. Silsbee was ranked in the top 20 in 1997, Ozen was ranked high during the Perkins era, and PA Lincoln was ranked a few times in the late 80's and 90's. The one the thing each of these schools had in common was that they all had a McDonalds All American playing for them. If Silsbee won back to back state championships and had a record of 70-0 over that stretch, they might get a vote to crack the top 25.
[/quote] And in that 70-0 stretch, along the way Silsbee would have to beat a few powerhouses.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1290558" timestamp="1349385247"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=104118.msg1290502#msg1290502 date=1349382065]
I agree! Maybe smack up on Yates and a win vs Oak Hill or someone of that caliber.
[/quote]

Santa, didnt you just say that they could not get within 30 points of those types of teams?
[/quote] Putting down Silsbee (again) aren't you? I'm on to you Nash.

You guys say no way Silsbee comes within 30 points of Yates but kingwood park barley lost to Yates in the 2nd or 3rd round last year and Silsbee did beat kingwood park a few years back but what did kingwood park do to slow down and almost upset Yates last year in the playoffs.

[quote name="MBaller#1" post="1290816" timestamp="1349403853"]
You guys say no way Silsbee comes within 30 points of Yates but kingwood park barley lost to Yates in the 2nd or 3rd round last year and [b]Silsbee did beat kingwood park a few years back [/b]but what did kingwood park do to slow down and almost upset Yates last year in the playoffs.
[/quote]

Silsbee beat KP in the playoffs in '08, 64-55. It was KP's first year as a varsity basketball team. They actually played that season with only freshmen and sophomores.

Here is the game thread from that game:

http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=34158.0

That '08 KP team is a far cry from last years senior laden team.

[quote name="MBaller#1" post="1290816" timestamp="1349403853"]
You guys say no way Silsbee comes within 30 points of Yates but kingwood park barley lost to Yates in the 2nd or 3rd round last year and Silsbee did beat kingwood park a few years back but what did kingwood park do to slow down and almost upset Yates last year in the playoffs.
[/quote]

And HJ beat them last year prior to district competition.

KP vs Yates game wasn't as close as people try and make it. KP was a very poised team and didn't let the JY mystique get into their heads. They broke the Jack Yates' press and hit their open shots.

I could see JY had a few problems with KP. KP's mystique was opposite of JY's. To look at KP, JY came in over confident. JY realized in the 4th quarter , this team wasn't going away until they (JY) realized hardwork beats talent.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1291083" timestamp="1349447114"]
KP vs Yates game wasn't as close as people try and make it. KP was a very poised team and didn't let the JY mystique get into their heads. They broke the Jack Yates' press and hit their open shots.

I could see JY had a few problems with KP. KP's mystique was opposite of JY's. To look at KP, JY came in over confident. JY realized in the 4th quarter , this team wasn't going away until they (JY) realized hardwork beats talent.
[/quote]

The score was the score and you cant spin it away.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476