4A DCTF Rankings & Coaches Poll

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1235075" timestamp="1342018946"]
Dayton has a kid playing at ou now to. Itsfunny when I hear even dayton fans say how we dont have talent. Dayton has had alot of talent over the last 5 years for crying out loud we had a parade all american and a d1 qb on the same team. Also had a kid at running back same year who had the fastest 400 meter hurdle time in the nation.
[/quote]

If you're referring to my posts, perhaps your reading comprehension is a little weak.  Dayton has had plenty of talent relative to MOST schools.  My argument was vs. Brenham.  Take a look at the number of players that get college football scholarships in Dayton vs Brenham and get back to me.  I was giving coach Stewart the credit that I think he deserves. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1235012" timestamp="1341978961"]
[quote author=Mike Latorice link=topic=100695.msg1234980#msg1234980 date=1341966534]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=100695.msg1234889#msg1234889 date=1341940208]
[quote author=Mike Latorice link=topic=100695.msg1234565#msg1234565 date=1341800637]
BrenhamFan let me preface this by saying I really respect Brenham as a program and if you ask me Darrion Johnson is the best pure cover corner in the state regardless of classification.  My question to you is, given the discrepancy in talent in recent years (Brenham vs Dayton) and the on field production, if Jerry Stewart is the coach in Brenham does Brenham have a state title and how many?
[/quote]

Not sure what the problem has been.  IMO, we should have atleast 1 maybe 2.  I can't say coach Stewart would have done better, cuz he didn't win one with Dayton either. (despite the D1 things)  We're missing a piece of the puzzle, that's for sure.....  I will say this though, if we would have met Buchanan's (Aledo) request, we would have atleast 2 titles by now.
[/quote]

You're right Stewart didn't win one either, but you have to admit the discrepancy in talent is astounding for two schools that have similar on field results.  Brenham has had 5 players go to UT in the last 5 years alone, along with numerous other D1 players.  Dayton's 3 best players in that period went to Nebraska, UofH and SMU.  I guess my point is Stewart always seemed to do the most with the least, while West seemed to waste a lot of talent. 

I think Buchanan is a heck of a coach.  However, he had arguably the best high school player ever playing for him the last 4 years.  Not to mention an elite o-line and the most underrated player in the state in Matthew Bishop.  I'm anxious to see how Aledo fares in the coming years.
[/quote]

I think Stewart is a great coach (especially with what he has), but what I'm saying is, there have been times that West's coaching alone has won games for us.  Like lots coaches, he has his pros & cons.  You do have a good argument though.  Not sure how he would have done, but it's interesting to think about.
[/quote]

I hear ya.  Both great coaches.  Hopefully we'll get another shot at you guys in the playoffs.

[quote name="robanadana" post="1235966" timestamp="1342324233"]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=100695.msg1235268#msg1235268 date=1342062434]
Don't want to rain on your parade too much Robadana, but Vidor has been in the playoffs 5 times in your history.
[/quote]

The past is the past. I reference Austin Lake Travis sir. My Pirates aren't anyone's cakewalk anymore and everyone in 20-4A knows it. We have a heck of a coach, the best fan base in the area and a bunch of kids who think they can and will win. That is all you need for victories.
[/quote]

I don't disagree with you having a heck of a coach.  As far as Lake Travis goes, I would say that's an apples to orange comparison as Lake Travis has won 5 state titles in a row, and has been to the playoffs 13 times so they have a pretty good success rate.  Fan base, well I think Ned and PNG would have something to say about that.

[quote name="bigdog" post="1236129" timestamp="1342401552"]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=100695.msg1235966#msg1235966 date=1342324233]
Don't want to rain on your parade too much Robadana, but Vidor has been in the playoffs 5 times in your history.
[/quote]

The past is the past. I reference Austin Lake Travis sir. My Pirates aren't anyone's cakewalk anymore and everyone in 20-4A knows it. We have a heck of a coach, the best fan base in the area and a bunch of kids who think they can and will win. That is all you need for victories.
[/quote]

I don't disagree with you having a heck of a coach.  As far as Lake Travis goes, I would say that's an apples to orange comparison as Lake Travis has won 5 state titles in a row, and has been to the playoffs 13 times so they have a pretty good success rate.  Fan base, well I think Ned and PNG would have something to say about that.
[/quote]
lake travis didn't become succesful until they started bringing in players. prior to that they pretty much sucked.

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1236135" timestamp="1342402091"]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=100695.msg1236129#msg1236129 date=1342401552]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=100695.msg1235966#msg1235966 date=1342324233]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
lake travis didn't become succesful until they started bringing in players. prior to that they pretty much sucked.
[/quote]welp.......lol

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1236135" timestamp="1342402091"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
You hit the nail on the head IMO. Most of upper middle class suburb schools have bought success. If you look at Highland Park, Katy, Aledo, Lake Travis, Steele, Smithson Valley, Allen, Southlake Carroll, among others they have several things in common. Money!, First class facilities, Money!, continued growth where kids are contuing to move there for football, Money! There are some exceptions in this group, but the majority have became big names in let's say the last 8-10 years.

[quote name="TradinUp BH" post="1236184" timestamp="1342412873"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=100695.msg1236135#msg1236135 date=1342402091]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
You hit the nail on the head IMO. Most of upper middle class suburb schools have bought success. If you look at Highland Park, Katy, Aledo, Lake Travis, Steele, Smithson Valley, Allen, Southlake Carroll, among others they have several things in common. Money!, First class facilities, Money!, continued growth where kids are contuing to move there for football, Money! There are some exceptions in this group, but the majority have became big names in let's say the last 8-10 years.
[/quote]truth

[/quote]

[/quote]
The best fan base in the area? You're kidding right? PN-G wins that hands down with Nederland a close second.

[quote name="Mike Latorice" post="1236117" timestamp="1342400170"]
[quote author=bronco pride link=topic=100695.msg1235075#msg1235075 date=1342018946]
Dayton has a kid playing at ou now to. Itsfunny when I hear even dayton fans say how we dont have talent. Dayton has had alot of talent over the last 5 years for crying out loud we had a parade all american and a d1 qb on the same team. Also had a kid at running back same year who had the fastest 400 meter hurdle time in the nation.
[/quote]

If you're referring to my posts, perhaps your reading comprehension is a little weak.  Dayton has had plenty of talent relative to MOST schools.  My argument was vs. Brenham.  Take a look at the number of players that get college football scholarships in Dayton vs Brenham and get back to me.  I was giving coach Stewart the credit that I think he deserves.
[/quote]i guess your football comprehension isnt that great. First off you use the example of daytons 3 best players going to inferior schools to texas. I told you that along with those kids dayton has a kid at ou now. The kid that went to u of houston was a parade all american and could have went to any school in the country. My argument was and still is that while brenham has had a slight edge in talent its not as much as you make it out to be. Since your a texas fan I will give you a quote from an old texas head coach "you dont want my plays you want my players".

I personally can't wait to see how we do against Angleton.  I think that game will be a good one to see where we measure up with a top ranked team. Kinda bites that it is at their place, but if you win, it sure does make it a sweet one.  I would say other than Angletone game, I am of course, looking forward to the MID-COUNTY MADNESS game.  We play the majority of our toughest opponents this year on their turf, this won't be a problem... 8)

GO DOGS !!!!!!!

[quote name="DOGS1988" post="1236588" timestamp="1342530670"]
I personally can't wait to see how we do against Angleton.  I think that game will be a good one to see where we measure up with a top ranked team. Kinda bites that it is at their place, but if you win, it sure does make it a sweet one.  I would say other than Angletone game, I am of course, looking forward to the MID-COUNTY MADNESS game.  We play the majority of our toughest opponents this year on their turf, this won't be a problem... 8)

GO DOGS !!!!!!!
[/quote] Me too. I'm still debating on going to see my Broncos or that game. I also can't wait for our scrimmage either.

Guest KHS 89
[/quote]

The past is the past. I reference Austin Lake Travis sir. My Pirates aren't anyone's cakewalk anymore and everyone in 20-4A knows it. We have a heck of a coach, the [b]best fan base in the area [/b] and a bunch of kids who think they can and will win. That is all you need for victories.
[/quote]

Interesting.... wishing Vidor and their fan base a successful 2012.

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1236229" timestamp="1342445002"]
[quote author=Mike Latorice link=topic=100695.msg1236117#msg1236117 date=1342400170]
[quote author=bronco pride link=topic=100695.msg1235075#msg1235075 date=1342018946]
[/quote]

[/quote]i guess your football comprehension isnt that great. First off you use the example of daytons 3 best players going to inferior schools to texas. I told you that along with those kids dayton has a kid at ou now. The kid that went to u of houston was a parade all american and could have went to any school in the country. My argument was and still is that while brenham has had a slight edge in talent its not as much as you make it out to be. Since your a texas fan I will give you a quote from an old texas head coach "you dont want my plays you want my players".
[/quote]

Texas isn't the only place we send kids.  In the last 10 years, we have sent kids to Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Nebraska, SMU, TCU, Houston, Rice, Tulane among others. (those are just the D1 schools I can think of off the top of my head)
*Thats more than "slight"

[quote name="MVP907" post="1236592" timestamp="1342531850"]
[quote author=DOGS1988 link=topic=100695.msg1236588#msg1236588 date=1342530670]

GO DOGS !!!!!!!
[/quote] Me too. I'm still debating on going to see my Broncos or that game. I also can't wait for our scrimmage either.
[/quote]I'm looking forward to the nederland bronco scrimmage myself! ;)

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1236653" timestamp="1342543335"]
[quote author=bronco pride link=topic=100695.msg1236229#msg1236229 date=1342445002]
[quote author=Mike Latorice link=topic=100695.msg1236117#msg1236117 date=1342400170]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Texas isn't the only place we send kids.  In the last 10 years, we have sent kids to Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Nebraska, SMU, TCU, Houston, Rice, Tulane among others. (those are just the D1 schools I can think of off the top of my head)
[/quote]actually yes it is slight with the exception of last year dayton has put kids in 5 of those schools you just named over a 2 year span.

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1236229" timestamp="1342445002"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

So because you struggle with basic math you think I struggle with football comprehension?  Ok cool.  Dayton puts out about 1-2 D1 players a year.  In 2009 Brenham had about 10 players on that roster that went on to get D1 scholarships over the next couple of seasons.  Call that a slight advantage if you choose.  My whole point of this conversation has been to give Jerry Stewart the credit he deserves for competing at an elite level.  I hate to talk about former players in a negative light, but there's a reason the player at OU is still a walk on.  Go back and see who offered. With regard to the kid that went to UofH, name me an elite level school that offered.  The numbers are astoundingly in favor of Brenham with regards to talent.  If you choose to ignore the facts that's up to you.  Dayton has exceeded expectations relative to the talent they had. 

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1236777" timestamp="1342555985"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=100695.msg1236653#msg1236653 date=1342543335]
[quote author=bronco pride link=topic=100695.msg1236229#msg1236229 date=1342445002]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]actually yes it is slight with the exception of last year dayton has put kids in 5 of those schools you just named over a 2 year span.
[/quote]

I also forgot UTSA & Texas State.... We recently sent kids there too.

We put numerous kids at those schools every year.  (especially UT) Not too mention the schools that recruited our kids in the last few years, but they didn't go there. (Last year alone, we had Arkansas, Baylor, Florida, LSU, Miami (FL), Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Texas Tech, USC, Virginia.)

I agree that Dayton has a great team, but your argument doesn't make any sense....

I give up one of brenham posters ask why aj went to houston if he had other offers. All I know is he was by far the best player on the field when we killed brenham in 08. Know on to 09 when brenham pulled one out against dsyton again I saw no athletic advantage for brenham. Also he made comment of the kid who walked on at ou. Im not going to esay anything other than had that kid been on brenham he would have got alot of hype with his size and strenght snd would not have to be a walkon.

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1236950" timestamp="1342580462"]
I give up one of brenham posters ask why aj went to houston if he had other offers. All I know is he was by far the best player on the field when we killed brenham in 08. Know on to 09 when brenham pulled one out against dsyton again I saw no athletic advantage for brenham. Also he made comment of the kid who walked on at ou. Im not going to esay anything other than had that kid been on brenham he would have got alot of hype with his size and strenght snd would not have to be a walkon.
[/quote]

08' was the one year y'all clearly had more talent than us and our 2 QB system, which was a joke.  We were 8-5 that year and that was the last time we didnt win district... Not surprising, that Dayton's most talented senior class could do that, against one of Brenham's weaker classes.  You're right, yall did kill us that year.  We were back the next year with more experience and talent.  If you didn't notice the talent difference that year, I'm not sure what you were watching.  Y'all had built a pretty good lead on a very talented Brenham team, and then the D1 loaded Cub defense turned it up a notch with numerous blitz packages.  They almost waited too long, but they pulled off the comeback.  Thanks mainly to a bunch of future D1 players that had the Bronco QB running in circles and turning the ball over repeatedly.  When just a couple players turn a game around that fast, that's what I consider an athletic advantage.  It was a very good game though!

You probably didnt notice that the kid that was killing brenham and had ran for 2 tds and thrown for the other was hurt at the end of the first half. He was mainly used for a decoy the second half. Our little siphmore qb was stuck playing the entire 2nd half. The brenham defense had alot less to do with dayton not scoring it was payton ploche being hurt that killed dayton. Also dayton had a 10 pt lead at halftime and still had a 10 pt lead with about 7 minutes left. Daytin was also loaded with d1 talent that year. We had 5 kids off that team go d1 and d1aa

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1237045" timestamp="1342617396"]
You probably didnt notice that the kid that was killing brenham and had ran for 2 tds and thrown for the other was hurt at the end of the first half. He was mainly used for a decoy the second half. Our little siphmore qb was stuck playing the entire 2nd half. The brenham defense had alot less to do with dayton not scoring it was payton ploche being hurt that killed dayton. Also dayton had a 10 pt lead at halftime and still had a 10 pt lead with about 7 minutes left. Daytin was also loaded with d1 talent that year. We had 5 kids off that team go d1 and d1aa
[/quote]

Ya I did know that.  If I'm not mistaken your center was hurt the 2nd half too.  It's part of football....  Most of our big name guys on that team were only sophs & juniors.

[quote name="Mike Latorice" post="1236936" timestamp="1342577145"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

So because you struggle with basic math you think I struggle with football comprehension?  Ok cool.  Dayton puts out about 1-2 D1 players a year.  In 2009 Brenham had about 10 players on that roster that went on to get D1 scholarships over the next couple of seasons.  Call that a slight advantage if you choose.  My whole point of this conversation has been to give Jerry Stewart the credit he deserves for competing at an elite level.  I hate to talk about former players in a negative light,[b] but there's a reason the player at OU is still a walk on[/b].  Go back and see who offered. With regard to the kid that went to UofH, name me an elite level school that offered.  The numbers are astoundingly in favor of Brenham with regards to talent.  If you choose to ignore the facts that's up to you.  Dayton has exceeded expectations relative to the talent they had.
[/quote]This student wanted to go to the Naval Academy, his parents did not want him to.  So he waited to long to decide and had to walk on in mid july and was given a scholarship by the end of August.  with in 3-4 games he started on the kickoff return on the third row and went in as a lead blocking fullback in short yardage plays including on the goal line.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anagha.23
    Newest Member
    anagha.23