Bryce Harper called up to the Bigs

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1215489" timestamp="1335568199"]
Train wreck.
[/quote]

He's been struggling so far this year at Triple A(.250 1 Hr, 3 rbis), but the left fielders for the Nats are hitting a collective .097 on the year.  He can't do any worse. I do agree that a road game in LA with Strasburg on the mound probably isn't the best spot for a 19 yr old to make his first start.

So far he seems to be doing pretty good 5-13 with 3 2Bs at the plate and has played great in the outfield. Idk if can keep it up, but one thing is for sure his plate discipline is incredible. You would think a 19 year old kid in his first week in the majors would go up there hacking, but he seems pretty good at just taking with the pitcher gives him.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1217504" timestamp="1336049005"]
So far he seems to be doing pretty good 5-13 with 3 2Bs at the plate and has played great in the outfield. Idk if can keep it up, but one thing is for sure his plate discipline is incredible. You would think a 19 year old kid in his first week in the majors would go up there hacking, but he seems pretty good at just taking with the pitcher gives him.
[/quote]

I'll have to agree. He seems to be a freak of nature.

There are a few players in the world that when the ball comes off of their bat it is just different, and he is one of them.  He hit 2 rockets last night off of the right center wall. His arm in the outfield is silly.  He has thrown a few balls on a rope that should have been assist if his catcher could catch.

He plays hard and seems to be a student of the game, so I don't see why everyone is so quick to dog him besides his age and magazine covers.  The only problem I have is that his haircut is terrible. 

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1217510" timestamp="1336050372"]
There are a few players in the world that when the ball comes off of their bat it is just different, and he is one of them.  He hit 2 rockets last night off of the right center wall. His arm in the outfield is silly.  He has thrown a few balls on a rope that should have been assist if his catcher could catch.

He plays hard and seems to be a student of the game, so I don't see why everyone is so quick to dog him besides his age and magazine covers.  The only problem I have is that his haircut is terrible.
[/quote]

The reason there was ever any doubt is that he is 19 years old.

It will be interesting to see how Harper handles adversity. These MLB scouts will find his kryptonite. Once that happens, we'll talk again.

So, Cole Hamels welcomes him to the Bigs by intentionaly hitting him on the first pitch.  Why??????
Is that what you do to rookies or was the crafty veteran afraid that the punk 19 year old kid would get a hit off him and make him look bad?

Why would the 2008 World Series MVP be afraid to pitch to a 19 year old kid???

Maybe Cole Hamels needs to be selling HOt Dogs in the stands instead of making millions a year to pitch to the best hitters in the world.
Cole Hamels is a punk and Bryce Harper punked him out when he stole home on him.

WELCOME TO THE BIGS COLE HAMEL!!!!!!!!    ENJOY YOUR VACATION!!!!!!!

Guest UHCoog14
I think Hamels was letting him know that Big Leaguers do not care about all the hype. You have to earn your respect.

The only problem was that Hamels was dumb enough to say he did it on purpose.

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1217510" timestamp="1336050372"]

[/quote]

Well said, Phat...I agree 100 %
Kid is a player.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1219658" timestamp="1336488342"]
I think Hamels was letting him know that Big Leaguers do not care about all the hype. You have to earn your respect.

[/quote]

If Hamels doesn't respect him now then he is a fool.

The boy takes it without saying a word, goes 1st-to-3rd on a hit most (not all) players would have stopped at 2nd on, then makes a heads-up play in stealing home on the pitcher.  And so far, as far as I know, hasn't said anything derogatory about Hamels concerning the matter.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="LCM76" post="1219828" timestamp="1336513308"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=99470.msg1219658#msg1219658 date=1336488342]

[/quote]

The boy takes it without saying a word, goes 1st-to-3rd on a hit most (not all) players would have stopped at 2nd on, then makes a heads-up play in stealing home on the pitcher.  And so far, as far as I know, hasn't said anything derogatory about Hamels concerning the matter.
[/quote]

Years of service earns respect. Put in your time.

I don't think Harper has demanded respect from anyone since he got to the majors, the kid has been pretty humble actually. We all know that he has been cocky in the past, but he has definitely grown up a little since then.

Hamles had no reason to throw at Harper. Harper didn't show anyone up, he wasn't being cocky, he wasn't demanding respect from anyone. The only thing Harper has done since he got to the majors is play as hard as he possibly can. He has made more pure hustle plays in one week than some players make in they're career. I don't understand why some people dislike the kid so much, he seems like the player you would want your kids to play like.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1219943" timestamp="1336534449"]
I don't think Harper has demanded respect from anyone since he got to the majors, the kid has been pretty humble actually. We all know that he has been cocky in the past, but he has definitely grown up a little since then.

Hamles had no reason to throw at Harper. Harper didn't show anyone up, he wasn't being cocky, he wasn't demanding respect from anyone. The only thing Harper has done since he got to the majors is play as hard as he possibly can. He has made more pure hustle plays in one week than some players make in they're career. I don't understand why some people dislike the kid so much, he seems like the player you would want your kids to play like.
[/quote]

Kinda like Tebow, right!

[quote name="LumRaiderFan" post="1219948" timestamp="1336534800"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=99470.msg1219943#msg1219943 date=1336534449]

[/quote]

Kinda like Tebow, right!
[/quote]

No. Harper has talent.

I still haven't  meet a person that dislikes Tebow as a person. I just think he is  a bad QB, its not personal.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1219949" timestamp="1336535101"]
[quote author=LumRaiderFan link=topic=99470.msg1219948#msg1219948 date=1336534800]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=99470.msg1219943#msg1219943 date=1336534449]

[/quote]

Kinda like Tebow, right!
[/quote]

No. Harper has talent.
[/quote]

So does Tebow!

[quote name="LumRaiderFan" post="1219951" timestamp="1336535206"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=99470.msg1219949#msg1219949 date=1336535101]
[quote author=LumRaiderFan link=topic=99470.msg1219948#msg1219948 date=1336534800]

[/quote]

Kinda like Tebow, right!
[/quote]

No. Harper has talent.
[/quote]

So does Tebow!
[/quote]

Not as  a QB he doesn't. Tebow doesn't even complete 50% of his passes.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1219952" timestamp="1336535383"]
[quote author=LumRaiderFan link=topic=99470.msg1219951#msg1219951 date=1336535206]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=99470.msg1219949#msg1219949 date=1336535101]

[/quote]

Kinda like Tebow, right!
[/quote]

No. Harper has talent.
[/quote]

So does Tebow!
[/quote]

[/quote]

He was statistcally still a rookie...so we'll see!

[quote name="LumRaiderFan" post="1219953" timestamp="1336535675"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=99470.msg1219952#msg1219952 date=1336535383]
[quote author=LumRaiderFan link=topic=99470.msg1219951#msg1219951 date=1336535206]

[/quote]

Kinda like Tebow, right!
[/quote]

No. Harper has talent.
[/quote]

So does Tebow!
[/quote]

[/quote]

He was statistcally still a rookie...so we'll see!
[/quote] 

Yeah we will 8)

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1219908" timestamp="1336528933"]
[quote author=LCM76 link=topic=99470.msg1219828#msg1219828 date=1336513308]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=99470.msg1219658#msg1219658 date=1336488342]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Years of service earns respect. Put in your time.
[/quote]

Actions, or lack of reaction, is what people look for.  In this case Harper did a good job first by not reacting, and then by taking action and taking advantage of the opportunities before him.

Hamels burned himself by what he did which resulted in a run and could have cost his team the game.

Which player deserved the greater respect that night?

Most of the better players earn respect quickly.  So far Harper is off to a good start.  Time will tell.  Even if he does a couple of goofball things this year or next I'd probably give him a break.  After all, he's not too different in age than my kids.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476