OF School Board considering not renewing Huckabay's contract?/CONTRACT RENEWED!!

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1202830" timestamp="1332903617"]
Lets be real here. The basketball team will never compete on a regular bases, football team, track or baseball team. It will be a hit and miss for years to come. Some people will say why post this? The kids will read this, so what it is the truth. The kids should use this as motivation to prove me wrong. Getting a class for basketball or baseball will make no difference. All it will do is make more kids specialize in one sport which will kill a football program at a 3A school. Yes Silsbee and HJ have a basketball class and their basketball teams are successful no doubt, but what about their football teams? HJ enough said, Silsbee well they make the palyoff's every year but they are average at best. If you concede to one program another will suffer. Is there a solution don't know. All I know is coach huck may not be the most personable coach but he is  proven  winner. No matter what AD Orangefield brings in it will make no difference and the numbers will not grow. People will gripe and complain no matter what. If the board members think getting rid of coach Huck will solve their problems you are sadly mistaken. Good luck is all I can say.
[/quote]

I think you are wrong calling Silsbee football "average". They are better than average.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1202847" timestamp="1332904517"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=98125.msg1202830#msg1202830 date=1332903617]
Lets be real here. The basketball team will never compete on a regular bases, football team, track or baseball team. It will be a hit and miss for years to come. Some people will say why post this? The kids will read this, so what it is the truth. The kids should use this as motivation to prove me wrong. Getting a class for basketball or baseball will make no difference. All it will do is make more kids specialize in one sport which will kill a football program at a 3A school. Yes Silsbee and HJ have a basketball class and their basketball teams are successful no doubt, but what about their football teams? HJ enough said, Silsbee well they make the palyoff's every year but they are average at best. If you concede to one program another will suffer. Is there a solution don't know. All I know is coach huck may not be the most personable coach but he is  proven  winner. No matter what AD Orangefield brings in it will make no difference and the numbers will not grow. People will gripe and complain no matter what. If the board members think getting rid of coach Huck will solve their problems you are sadly mistaken. Good luck is all I can say.
[/quote]

I think you are wrong calling Silsbee football "average". They are better than average.
[/quote]

Whatever take off those rose colered glasses. ;D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1202847" timestamp="1332904517"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=98125.msg1202830#msg1202830 date=1332903617]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Making the playoffs mean nothing these days. Just a patch on the jacket.

[quote name="Bill Dauterive" post="1202732" timestamp="1332889576"]
[quote author=ispeakjive link=topic=98125.msg1202681#msg1202681 date=1332881751]
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I just can't see why the head football coach would be overseeing the workouts of basketball and baseball players.  The skill sets for those sports are completely different and so are the weight and conditioning workouts.  It just souds like micromanaging or worse to me.
[/quote]

He is the ATHLETIC DIRECTOR. He is overseeing the ATHLETES. Unless of course, you do not consider Basketball and Baseball players athletes.
[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification, Bill.  I really appreciate it.

At most schools the AD portion of the job is merely administrative and consists of hiring coaches for other sports and letting them do their jobs and run their programs.  Not micromanaging workouts and weight programs for sports that (let's be honest) compete with football for athletes. 

The only reason to do this is to keep kids in what is primarily the football class and make it clear that even if you don't want to play football you will still be under the head football coach's control.  I would bet that it has dissuaded some kids from going straight basketball or baseball since they have to go through football workouts anyway. 

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="1202559" timestamp="1332866431"]
Here is exactly the way the workouts are since you are interested.

During FB season-
Mon-Weight workout-No max
Tues-Speed workout- run 200's
Wed-Bobcat Buiilders
Thurs-Game prep-Off season kids weight workout
Fri-Game Day
No make up days

After FB Season

Basketball-
Mon-Max on all weights
Tues game day/Must make up work out missed
Wed-Bobcat builders/weight workout makeup- no practice
Thurs- Weight workout
Fri-game day-Subvarsity workout

Baseball- same as basketball

The reason- It takes much more prep time for a football game than a basketball or baseball game.  So the basic arguement here is that it is not football so it can't be as hard.  Talk to any successfull baseball or basketball coach and ask if it is the same kind of workout for any sport.
[/quote]
[color=purple]Well you are absolutely wrong my friend. I know exactly what the athletes do during the period and that is not it. Get your information right before you post.  :D[/color]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami