Junior Varsity

[quote name="basketball" post="1176061" timestamp="1328939438"]
I know that Varsity teams/players get the spotlight since it is the highest level in the High School basketball world, but I am curious.  Who do you think are some of the top JV players coming up to help Varsity teams?
[/quote]

The best JV players I have seen this year are on Ozen and Silsbee's teams. But neither of those players can move up to varsity this season due to transfer rules.

WOS has a real good JV. A couple of those could help the Mustangs in the playoffs. (if they make it over HF)

Speaking of Hamshire-Fannett, I saw no player on that JV team that could help out the Longhorn varsity if they were to make the playoffs.

[quote name="rc2182" post="1177687" timestamp="1329240844"]
I personally think most of the JV players for  Ozen ,can be starters on a lot of the area varsity teams.
[/quote]
Didn't the world beaters/soon to be State Champion/King of the World/Best SE TX Team EVER, Nederland Bulldogs (JV) split with Ozen this year?  ;D

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1177758" timestamp="1329250452"]
[quote author=rc2182 link=topic=95829.msg1177687#msg1177687 date=1329240844]
I personally think most of the JV players for  Ozen ,can be starters on a lot of the area varsity teams.
[/quote]
Didn't the world beaters/soon to be State Champion/King of the World/Best SE TX Team EVER, Nederland Bulldogs (JV) split with Ozen this year?  ;D
[/quote]

Yes, but they have no talent.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1177762" timestamp="1329251002"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=95829.msg1177758#msg1177758 date=1329250452]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
None... ::)

[quote name="stevenash" post="1177762" timestamp="1329251002"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=95829.msg1177758#msg1177758 date=1329250452]
[/quote]
Didn't the world beaters/soon to be State Champion/King of the World/Best SE TX Team EVER, Nederland Bulldogs (JV) split with Ozen
this year?  ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]
That's true!  ;)

No player on Ned's JV will see significant time, at the varsity level, next year. However, they split with a team that has several player's that could be starters on a lot of the varsity teams in the area. I don't know what this says about either team. This basketball stuff is sooooooooooo confusing. Can you please explain any of this to me Dick?  :o :o 

[quote name="85' HUSKER" post="1177800" timestamp="1329255582"]
No player on Ned's JV will see significant time, at the varsity level, next year. However, they split with a team that has several player's that could be starters on a lot of the varsity teams in the area. I don't know what this says about either team. This basketball stuff is sooooooooooo confusing. Can you please explain any of this to me Dick?  :o :o 
[/quote]
Why, certainly....it IS quite simple...In many good programs, The JV team is sometimes considered a dumping ground.  You cannot always take a look at some JV teams and predict doom or success in the coming years varsity programs.  Sometimes the better 9th graders will "leapfrog" the JV kids and never play one day of JV ball...Some instances, particularly when you have juniors on JV, it is likely that they may not see the floor to play on the varsity. Also what plays a factor is the fact that in some programs, the JV coach is not REALLY a basketball guy...Meaning he may be a football coach, hired to coach JV basketball and gladly accepts it for the extra pay of coaching a second sport. This is Texas, it happens. Ozen's JV probably had no business losing to Nederland, but on that level, WHO KNOWS what the reason was.  I coached the JV at Ozen for two seasons and did not lose a game, either season...YET, only about HALF of those kids played varsity ball, and about 1/4 of THAT half saw any significant playing time on the varsity over the next year or two...so, go figure.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1177821" timestamp="1329256713"]
[quote author=85' HUSKER link=topic=95829.msg1177800#msg1177800 date=1329255582]
[/quote]

Good points i concur....
Why, certainly....it IS quite simple...In many good programs, The JV team is sometimes considered a dumping ground.  You cannot always take a look at some JV teams and predict doom or success in the coming years varsity programs.  Sometimes the better 9th graders will "leapfrog" the JV kids and never play one day of JV ball...Some instances, particularly when you have juniors on JV, it is likely that they may not see the floor to play on the varsity. Also what plays a factor is the fact that in some programs, the JV coach is not REALLY a basketball guy...Meaning he may be a football coach, hired to coach JV basketball and gladly accepts it for the extra pay of coaching a second sport. This is Texas, it happens. Ozen's JV probably had no business losing to Nederland, but on that level, WHO KNOWS what the reason was.  I coached the JV at Ozen for two seasons and did not lose a game, either season...YET, only about HALF of those kids played varsity ball, and about 1/4 of THAT half saw any significant playing time on the varsity over the next year or two...so, go figure.
[/quote]

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1176067" timestamp="1328940896"]
[quote author=basketball link=topic=95829.msg1176061#msg1176061 date=1328939438]
I know that Varsity teams/players get the spotlight since it is the highest level in the High School basketball world, but I am curious.  Who do you think are some of the top JV players coming up to help Varsity teams?
[/quote]

The best JV players I have seen this year are on Ozen and Silsbee's teams. But neither of those players can move up to varsity this season due to transfer rules.

WOS has a real good JV. A couple of those could help the Mustangs in the playoffs. (if they make it over HF)

Speaking of Hamshire-Fannett, I saw no player on that JV team that
could help out the Longhorn varsity if they were to make the playoffs.

[/quote]

I say thats a homer pick...didnt hj jv beat silsbee both times...

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1178335" timestamp="1329286594"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=95829.msg1176067#msg1176067 date=1328940896]
[quote author=basketball link=topic=95829.msg1176061#msg1176061 date=1328939438]
[/quote]

Speaking of Hamshire-Fannett, I saw no player on that JV team that
could help out the Longhorn varsity if they were to make the playoffs.

I say thats a homer pick...didnt hj jv beat silsbee both times...

[/quote]
[/quote]

The poster was asking what players from JV could be moved up to help their varsity in the playoffs. I was speaking of individual players. The Hunter kid on Ozen's JV and the player on Silsbee's JV that was forced to play JV because of transfer rules (Hunter for Ozen in the same boat) were two players that I am quite certain would help there respective varsity teams in the playoffs.

I said nothing about those JV "teams" being good.

[quote name="#1 Manager" post="1178325" timestamp="1329285513"]
I know Nederland's JV doesnt have as talented players has Ozen and Central JV, but they are good enough to compete plus they play HARD!!  I'd take "fundamental kids that play well together and HARD", anyday of the week.  (that description sounds like HJ)
[/quote]
Nederlands Jv is a good solid group of kids but ozen and cental's jv are good also. And i must add they are fundamental also. keep getting all the experience you can get from knight and maybe you can go back to nederland and replace English. lol.....Just remember your fundamental kids have to have the talent to do the fundamental things.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1176067" timestamp="1328940896"]
[/quote]

The best JV [size=12pt][b]players[/b][/size] I have seen this year are on[b] [size=12pt]Ozen and Silsbee's teams.[/size][/b] But neither of those players can move up to varsity this season due to transfer rules.

Speaking of Hamshire-Fannett, I saw no player on that JV team that could help out the Longhorn varsity if they were to make the playoffs.
[/quote]

Sorry misread your post.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed