National Anthem

Do you place your hand over your heart during The National Anthem?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you place your hand over your heart during The National Anthem?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1174328" timestamp="1328716256"]
[quote author=LumRaiderFan link=topic=95659.msg1174319#msg1174319 date=1328715895]
[quote author=Puma link=topic=95659.msg1174303#msg1174303 date=1328715219]
I just found this by googling National Anthem etiquette.  I never really thought about there being any sort of prescibed rules regarding etiqutte during the palying or singing of the National Anthem prior to reading this thread although I am not suprised to find that there are.  I guess standing, removing my cap and placing my hand over my heart is just what I saw others do when I was young and now feel it is what is neccessary to show proper respect to my country.  Below is the information I found:

In 2007, Congress addressed this for the first time in 36 USC 301. This U.S. Code therefore created the first mandated national anthem etiquette.

[b]The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and placing the right hand over the heart (the salute).[/b] Uniformed personnel, firefighters, law enforcement officers, and military personnel in uniform should render a hand salute.

When the national anthem is played or sung, U.S. citizens should stand straight and rigid and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the singer.
[/quote]

[b]Not sure why anyone would have a problem with this but it's a free country![/b]
[/quote]

This is what I thought too....Its not like the kids were wearing black gloves and holding a fist in the air in protest! GOODNESS! ::)
[/quote]

I think you misunderstood me...I don't see why anyone would have a problem standing at attention and putting you hand over your heart.  To me it shows respect for the greatest country on the planet that we live in and respect for those that have served to preserve the freedoms we enjoy.

[quote name="LumRaiderFan" post="1174377" timestamp="1328720446"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=95659.msg1174328#msg1174328 date=1328716256]
[quote author=LumRaiderFan link=topic=95659.msg1174319#msg1174319 date=1328715895]
[quote author=Puma link=topic=95659.msg1174303#msg1174303 date=1328715219]
I just found this by googling National Anthem etiquette.  I never really thought about there being any sort of prescibed rules regarding etiqutte during the palying or singing of the National Anthem prior to reading this thread although I am not suprised to find that there are.  I guess standing, removing my cap and placing my hand over my heart is just what I saw others do when I was young and now feel it is what is neccessary to show proper respect to my country.  Below is the information I found:

In 2007, Congress addressed this for the first time in 36 USC 301. This U.S. Code therefore created the first mandated national anthem etiquette.

[b]The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and placing the right hand over the heart (the salute).[/b] Uniformed personnel, firefighters, law enforcement officers, and military personnel in uniform should render a hand salute.

When the national anthem is played or sung, U.S. citizens should stand straight and rigid and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the singer.
[/quote]

[b]Not sure why anyone would have a problem with this but it's a free country![/b]
[/quote]

This is what I thought too....Its not like the kids were wearing black gloves and holding a fist in the air in protest! GOODNESS! ::)
[/quote]

I think you misunderstood me...I don't see why anyone would have a problem standing at attention and putting you hand over your heart.  To me it shows respect for the greatest country on the planet that we live in and respect for those that have served to preserve the freedoms we enjoy.

[/quote]
I was in agreement with you on your statement. 8)

Im not as computer literate as Dove, so I dont know how to capture his question to me earlier in this thread, but I will answer his question....I have been to 6 BISD basketball games this year. 

Now, as to the original question posed, I asked a former military man that I know and they did it like this:  if the person, in the military is "under cover" which means wearing a hat of any kind, then they saluted.  It they were not "under cover" they came to attention without saluting.  I have seen several people do this and now I know why they do it this way. 

I have always been taught to take off my hat, stand and face the flag, place my hand over my heart (non-military salute) and sing....I must admit that I dont sing. 

[quote name="texas2step4u" post="1175109" timestamp="1328822064"]
Im not as computer literate as Dove, so I dont know how to capture his question to me earlier in this thread, but I will answer his question....I have been to 6 BISD basketball games this year. 

Now, as to the original question posed, I asked a former military man that I know and they did it like this:  if the person, in the military is "under cover" which means wearing a hat of any kind, then they saluted.  It they were not "under cover" they came to attention without saluting.  I have seen several people do this and now I know why they do it this way. 

I have always been taught to take off my hat, stand and face the flag, place my hand over my heart (non-military salute) and sing....I must admit that I dont sing.
[/quote]Ah, [color=red]so you choose not to sing?[/color] Is that leaning towards being un-American and lack of respect?

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1174847" timestamp="1328795060"]
What about the players, Bullets? I mean are you in agreement with them standing in a line and placing their right hands on each others shoulders? THAT is who the PNG guy that started this nonsense was talking about...the players on the floor.
[/quote]

if they're showing solidarity as a team, and also making some sort of gesture that shows they are still honoring the flag, i don't have a problem with it.  if they're goofing off, joking, talking, whatever, that's a different matter.

I have just been reading this post and I am very disappointed in it all together.  We as American citizens should all stand in silence and place our right hand over our hearts out of respect for not only the National Anthem, but [b]RESPECT for the MEN and WOMEN that have sacrificed ALL for our FREEDOM[/b].  We as parent and educators should be instilling this into our youth every chance we have, wether at a sporting event, school, or even a parade.  Whenever the colors are displayed they should be HONORED AND RESPECTED.  If you do not agree, MOVE. 

[quote name="UKCats" post="1174732" timestamp="1328756413"]
I just stand at attention. . .its a military thing, force of habit
[/quote]
Same here.

And as for the post saying [quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=95659.msg1174847#msg1174847 date=1328795060]
What about the players, Bullets? I mean are you in agreement with them standing in a line and placing their right hands on each others shoulders? THAT is who the PNG guy that started this nonsense was talking about...the players on the floor.
[/quote]
And as for the players if they are being quiet and showing respect than i have no problem with it either but i see where NB-Dawg is coming from. I've personally been to 3 BISD games this season and 2 out of those 3 the BISD players did there thing where they stood in a line and placed there hand over the guy in front of them's shoulder but some of them were talking and joking with each other and the coach had to turn around and give some of the players a look to get them to be quiet and that, IMO, was disrespectful. But that's only 2 games out of idk how many they have played.

Just putting in my 2 cents.  8)

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="whsalum" post="1176502" timestamp="1329025636"]
Absolutely and always take the cap off.FYI The young lady at Silsbee will send chills up your spine when she sings it.She does a great job.
[/quote]
Thank you for that compliment, "alum"- I will be sure that she is informed of your kind remarks. :)

I'm so paranoid now, I made sure I took my cap off and covered my heart before the anthem started prior to the Nederland vs Ozen game. I have to admit, I begin to focus on the players, coaches, and the crowd. I saw Nederland and Ozen at attention but not covering their hearts. I guess they were exercising  their personal right to express their freedom in their own way.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1174183" timestamp="1328708376"]
[quote author=texas2step4u link=topic=95659.msg1174124#msg1174124 date=1328678217]
I noticed that the Beaumont schools, in particular, dont put their hands over their hearts for the NA.  Not sure why they dont do that but just the way it is...I saw one person from a BISD school actually talking on his cell phone while the song was being sung....pretty sad really that someone cant put down their cell phone, stand tall, put their hand over their heart and face the flag for 3 minutes.
[/quote]So, how many Bmt. games have you attended this season?
[/quote]

What does that have to do with anything?  EVERYONE(players, coaches, fans, administrators, custodians, concession stand workers, etc.) in attendance at the game need to stand, place their hands over their hearts and sing the national anthem.  Why this is even in question is a complete disgrace & those who actually contemplate what to do when the anthem is played should be ashamed. 

[quote name="bmrm" post="1176813" timestamp="1329102594"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=95659.msg1174183#msg1174183 date=1328708376]
[quote author=texas2step4u link=topic=95659.msg1174124#msg1174124 date=1328678217]
I noticed that the Beaumont schools, in particular, dont put their hands over their hearts for the NA.  Not sure why they dont do that but just the way it is...I saw one person from a BISD school actually talking on his cell phone while the song was being sung....pretty sad really that someone cant put down their cell phone, stand tall, put their hand over their heart and face the flag for 3 minutes.
[/quote]So, how many Bmt. games have you attended this season?
[/quote]

What does that have to do with anything?  EVERYONE(players, coaches, fans, administrators, custodians, concession stand workers, etc.) in attendance at the game need to stand, place their hands over their hearts and sing the national anthem.  Why this is even in question is a complete disgrace & those who actually contemplate what to do when the anthem is played should be ashamed.
[/quote]

Well said...I agree!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1176877" timestamp="1329106787"]
If you read carefully its not only BISD ;)
[/quote]

It shouldn't have to be read - if you can't hold your hand over your heart and sing the National Anthem then you have no business playing in the game. 

[quote name="bmrm" post="1176880" timestamp="1329107045"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=95659.msg1176877#msg1176877 date=1329106787]
[/quote]

It shouldn't have to be read - if you can't hold your hand over your heart and sing the National Anthem then you have no business playing in the game.
[/quote]PLease show the [color=red]requirement [/color]to hold your hand over your heart. Not your personal opinion.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1176886" timestamp="1329107922"]
[quote author=bmrm link=topic=95659.msg1176880#msg1176880 date=1329107045]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=95659.msg1176877#msg1176877 date=1329106787]
[/quote]

[/quote]PLease show the [color=red]requirement [/color]to hold your hand over your heart. Not your personal opinion.
[/quote]
That's like saying please show the requirement to open a door for a lady when your on a date with her. There is no requirement its called showing respect. Please tell me you have atleast some dignity.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn