HJ/Silsbee/Tebow/ESPN

txcan

Im a North SETXSports fan as opposed to being a South SETXSports fan.  It has been impossible not to notice (and for good reason) that the HJ/Silsbee games I and II have received more publicity from the forum than Tebow did on ESPN after winning 5 in a row.  I am wondering how long it takes for this to become another HJ/Silsbee thread, but I don't think it will take long (and wasn't my intention for this thread).  They should have their own forum.

Back to being a North SETXSports fan, Huntington and Jasper play Friday night in Huntington.  Both have one district loss (Huntington to Center, Jasper to Huntington) and this game has potential to be huge for the 18-3A title. 

Neither team is in the top 5 in the state, but this is a big game for a couple of good SETX teams.

Congrats to HJ...I'm glad y'all split, that gives the South SETXsports fans the fuel to talk about who really is the better team.

[quote name="txcan" post="1170071" timestamp="1328154905"]
Im a North SETXSports fan as opposed to being a South SETXSports fan.  It has been impossible not to notice (and for good reason) that the HJ/Silsbee games I and II have received more publicity from the forum than Tebow did on ESPN after winning 5 in a row.  [b]I am wondering how long it takes for this to become another HJ/Silsbee thread,[/b] but I don't think it will take long (and wasn't my intention for this thread).  They should have their own forum.

Back to being a North SETXSports fan, Huntington and Jasper play Friday night in Huntington.  Both have one district loss (Huntington to Center, Jasper to Huntington) and this game has potential to be huge for the 18-3A title. 

Neither team is in the top 5 in the state, but this is a big game for a couple of good SETX teams.

Congrats to HJ...I'm glad y'all split, that gives the South SETXsports fans the fuel to talk about who really is the better team.
[/quote]

About as long as YOU putting these two schools in the title.  ::)

[quote name="STiger85" post="1170074" timestamp="1328155127"]
[quote author=txcan link=topic=95304.msg1170071#msg1170071 date=1328154905]
Im a North SETXSports fan as opposed to being a South SETXSports fan.  It has been impossible not to notice (and for good reason) that the HJ/Silsbee games I and II have received more publicity from the forum than Tebow did on ESPN after winning 5 in a row.  [b]I am wondering how long it takes for this to become another HJ/Silsbee thread,[/b] but I don't think it will take long (and wasn't my intention for this thread).  They should have their own forum.

[/quote]

About as long as YOU putting these two schools in the title.  ::)
[/quote]

LMAO!!! Good one, Tim.

It also got 6 responses this quick, which wouldn't have happened if he didn't mention HJ and/or Silsbee!  ;)

But back to the OP, what are your thoughts on this matchup.  I remember Jasper pulling a couple of stunning upsets in the play-offs in recent years against both said high schools.  They surprised Silsbee in Huntsville 3(?) years ago after losing by 30+ points in the previous 2 meetings that year.  And they upset HJ back in 2006 in the first round when HJ was ranked somewhere in the top of the state.  I seem to recall a young Coach Clay Davis being the at the helm of Jasper back then.

So yes, this game does have meaning down here in South Southeast Texas.  What are your thoughts txcan?

Well it was a close one in Jasper and Huntington pulled it off in OT.  That is Jaspers only loss in district so far so they will come to Huntington ready to get that one back because if they dont that puts Huntington in the drivers seat to win district (with both of Jaspers losses being to Huntington).  Huntington trailed Diboll the whole game Tuesday night and pulled that one off in the last minute as well.  I hope that was a wakeup call for the boys (always good for a wakeup call not to be a lost game) and they use that as motivation for Jasper.

I'll take Huntington in another close one at home.

I am excited about the game and will be there sitting on the opposite end of the home stands from no-look so when we have the ball in the last second of the quarter we will have both sides of the court covered to hold up one finger and shout "one shot".  8)

When Coach Davis was at Jasper the four game series with Huntington consisted of eleven overtimes(I think)...each teams winning their home games. Watching two good coaches go after it was part of the excitement.........Sometime you cant judge a team by what they did in the early stages of the season. They get better as the season goes along and playing on a regular schedule helps.......txcan, two things to remember. HJ and Silsbee are like the Hatfields and McCoys, always going after it on the court and on the message board. But if an outsider says something about either they will both jump on you.  ;D  Second thing to remember if you have a few seconds left in the quarter thats time for several possessions...lol..

[quote name="no-look" post="1170163" timestamp="1328190641"]
When Coach Davis was at Jasper the four game series with Huntington consisted of eleven overtimes(I think)...each teams winning their home games. Watching two good coaches go after it was part of the excitement.........Sometime you cant judge a team by what they did in the early stages of the season. They get better as the season goes along and playing on a regular schedule helps.......txcan, two things to remember. HJ and Silsbee are like the Hatfields and McCoys, always going after it on the court and on the message board. But if an outsider says something about either they will both jump on you.  ;D  Second thing to remember if you have a few seconds left in the quarter thats time for several possessions...lol..
[/quote]yes, and if you're on defense, you certainly dnt let the other team have the last shot!

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1170338" timestamp="1328196598"]
Coach Davis was at jasper, but not the years that they beat HJ or Silsbee.

His first year at HJ as an assistant was the year that Jasper beat HJ.
[/quote]

And Sean Weatherspoon (of the Atlanta Falcons) was a prominent part of that Jasper team

[quote name="no-look" post="1170163" timestamp="1328190641"]
.......txcan, two things to remember. HJ and Silsbee are like the Hatfields and McCoys, always going after it on the court and on the message board. But if an outsider says something about either they will both jump on you.  ;D  [/quote]You know, the solution to this is quite simple.  Find 20 people who are rabid Jasper fans, and 20 people who are rabid Huntington fans... and make sure about only 4 or 5 of each actually know anything about basketball!

Give 'em all SETXSports.com accounts and you, too, can have 18 open threads on "all things Jasper / Huntington".

Oh yeah, and tell a couple of the guys that they also have great radio voices.....  ;)  (I think actually, AAW and Lazeek were told that their faces were made for radio).

I will say this, I have lived in Houston for the past 13 years. I have seen the Willow Ridges, Yates, Jones, Jesuits, Belliare's and FB schools and no one draws a crowd like Silsbee vs HJ. SETX knows how to bring the entire town and surrounding towns out for these match ups. I hope each school continues to keep the pipeline of talent coming thru. I think 21-3A's top 4 teams are just as good as any in SETX!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami