Thoughts from last nights Ozen/Central matchup and 20-4A in general

Watching the Ozen/Central game last night I had TONS of things going on in my mind:

1) Central has some REALLY TALENTED YOUNG kids. Kristian Smith is possibly the best overall talent in 20-4A, but his decision making has to get better.  The kid can score whenever he wants, but had to work SO HARD for every shot because there were NO SETS RUN...AT ALL.. :o...Dribble, dribble, dribble, find an opening, then GO! or shoot a 30 footer... That would be tough on ANY player...They did not utilize the youngster #24 NEARLY ENOUGH...He was SO PRODUCTIVE when he got touches...and no one noticed that?

2) Ozen has better talent than I initially thought too...BRANDON GREEN IS THE KEY TO THAT TEAM...Even as a sophomore, he played with more basketball sense than anyone out there, including his brother Trey...Trey Green is a great talent too, by the way, and should be a bigger part of what they do offensively as well..I liked the post play from #30, but he, in my opinion, does not get enough touches either, and when he did, it was almost like a shock to him..however, he didn't do bad...The kid #0 shot the ball well early, but by going inside would have freed him up even more...

3) Transition game was NON-EXISTENT for both teams...every basket nearly came from walking it up, and whoever got the urge, took a shot...BOTH TEAMS...It was HARD TO WATCH....

4) NO ADJUSTMENTS WERE MADE....AT ALL...what were the discussions like during timeouts..."hey...how is it going? anybody tired? want some water?"  :o :o....No offensive sets called, no defensive changes, no quick hitters called....NOTHING! It was so unreal watching it from MY perspective, and what I am used to seeing how Ozen basketball is played.

5) TIP: When running the spread game you CONITINUE to attack the basket, NOT try to play keep away near the half court line, because it will usually mean a turnover is coming. You have to use the spread game enough to be able to use it THROUGHOUT a ball game, not just in the final minute trying to hold on...ITS NOT A STALL, ITS A TEMPO CHANGER....just FYI

6) Why was the Supt. and board members SERVED FISH DINNERS AND COLD DRINKS by a catering service last night?? Its a BALL GAME NOT A BANQUET!!!  :o :o

MORE THOUGHTS TO COME.....

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1165808" timestamp="1327514241"]
Watching the Ozen/Central game last night I had TONS of things going on in my mind:

1) Central has some REALLY TALENTED YOUNG kids. Kristian Smith is possibly the best overall talent in 20-4A, but his decision making has to get better.  The kid can score whenever he wants, but had to work SO HARD for every shot because there were NO SETS RUN...AT ALL.. :o...Dribble, dribble, dribble, find an opening, then GO! or shoot a 30 footer... That would be tough on ANY player...They did not utilize the youngster #24 NEARLY ENOUGH...He was SO PRODUCTIVE when he got touches...and no one noticed that?

2) Ozen has better talent than I initially thought too...BRANDON GREEN IS THE KEY TO THAT TEAM...Even as a sophomore, he played with more basketball sense than anyone out there, including his brother Trey...Trey Green is a great talent too, by the way, and should be a bigger part of what they do offensively as well..I liked the post play from #30, but he, in my opinion, does not get enough touches either, and when he did, it was almost like a shock to him..however, he didn't do bad...The kid #0 shot the ball well early, but by going inside would have freed him up even more...

3) Transition game was NON-EXISTENT for both teams...every basket nearly came from walking it up, and whoever got the urge, took a shot...BOTH TEAMS...It was HARD TO WATCH....

4) NO ADJUSTMENTS WERE MADE....AT ALL...what were the discussions like during timeouts..."hey...how is it going? anybody tired? want some water?"  :o :o....No offensive sets called, no defensive changes, no quick hitters called....NOTHING! It was so unreal watching it from MY perspective, and what I am used to seeing how Ozen basketball is played.

5) TIP: When running the spread game you CONITINUE to attack the basket, NOT try to play keep away near the half court line, because it will usually mean a turnover is coming. You have to use the spread game enough to be able to use it THROUGHOUT a ball game, not just in the final minute trying to hold on...ITS NOT A STALL, ITS A TEMPO CHANGER....just FYI

6) Why was the Supt. and board members SERVED FISH DINNERS AND COLD DRINKS by a catering service last night?? Its a BALL GAME NOT A BANQUET!!!  :o :o

MORE THOUGHTS TO COME.....
[/quote]Preach, Rev. Vitale!  Preach!

More thoughts on Dostrict 20-4A:

1) Nederland is the definitely THIRD on the talent meter in that district behind Central and Ozen...HOWEVER watching Nederland, I can see that they are well drilled, and well coached..You can just see it...They are sharper with the basketball, and sure about what they are doing on every play..Which is why they are undefeated so far in the district....

2) With that said, I feel that Central and Ozen are both TALENTED enough to beat them with a hot game on their own floor...Now being talented enough and actually beating them are two seperate things...Another good Brian English game plan versus.....well, nothing, could prevail....again...but these teams have enough fire power, that if they play inspired, and get hot, they COULD pull out the victory against Ned, even against those odds.

3) Curious to see if LCM can fly under the radar and sneak up on and beat one of the top 3 teams...Almost got Nederland last week...It could DEFINITELY happen.

4) What will 20-4A do in the playoffs this year? Nederland will be probably overmatched, but Coach English will put them in a position to get it done at least two rounds..after that, its a question...For Central and Ozen? Depends on the opponent...If they are just as athletic, they will both be blown out of the gym, IMO...If not, they will have a first round shot, at least.

5) Future of 20-4A? Nederland has controlled it for the last couple of seasons, but Central SHOULD be in complete control over the next few ON PAPER, along with Ozen...However, if they continue what I saw last night....Lets just say improvements are abound....Nederland has some good young kids coming up, and for all practical purposes, I will have to say they will continue the pattern of dominance if things are not....changed in the next few seasons.

[quote name="team first" post="1165917" timestamp="1327524765"]
Dickie on the central ozen game, where they trying to foul to send them to shoot 2 at the free-throw line, and just got caught fouling while he was shooting a three? Or where they just going to guard and play it out?

That's the old discussion of to foul or not to foul
[/quote]

Since I questioned the little guy who actually did the fouling, they were told to foul but just got caught while he was shooting a 3. I almost agreed with it because K. Smith had missed his last 6 free throws if I'm not mistaken. The question I asked was why didn't Ozen's coach call a timeout before shooting the 2nd or 3rd free throw, he had them...it's not like he could carry them over to Friday's game. 

[quote name="uandme08" post="1165920" timestamp="1327525315"]
[quote author=team first link=topic=94875.msg1165917#msg1165917 date=1327524765]
Dickie on the central ozen game, where they trying to foul to send them to shoot 2 at the free-throw line, and just got caught fouling while he was shooting a three? Or where they just going to guard and play it out?

[/quote]

Since I questioned the little guy who actually did the fouling, they were told to foul but just got caught while he was shooting a 3. I almost agreed with it because K. Smith had missed his last 6 free throws if I'm not mistaken. The question I asked was why didn't Ozen's coach call a timeout before shooting the 2nd or 3rd free throw, he had them...[b]it's not like he could carry them over to Friday's game. [/b]
[/quote]

But they carry over into the overtime though. ;)

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1165932" timestamp="1327525958"]
There was no question at all that with that amount of time left (and with the previous continueation 3 point shot that was waived off by officials) that Kristain was going to shoot that 3.  Ozen should have just played good defense and lived with the outcome of a contested 3.
[/quote]I think Ozen wanted to give Central a little false hope ;) ;D

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1165932" timestamp="1327525958"]
There was no question at all that with that amount of time left (and with the previous continueation 3 point shot that was waived off by officials) that Kristain was going to shoot that 3.  Ozen should have just played good defense and lived with the outcome of a contested 3.
[/quote]
I agree just play good d and if he makes the 3, good shoot

[quote name="team first" post="1165917" timestamp="1327524765"]

[/quote]
The first foul, was planned, but he was NOT shooting then. He hoisted it up well AFTER the whistle, and it dropped...He missed the first one intentionally thinking it was one and one, but it was not...after he missed the second, Central rebounded and called timeout (the freshman #24 had the presence of mind to do so by the way) and on the inbound Smith was somewhat fouled trying to launch a three, but it very well could have been a no-call..Bottom line is, the Ozen kid should have just gotten a hand up, and lived with the result.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124