Port Author Lincoln....?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1164791" timestamp="1327356441"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=94735.msg1164788#msg1164788 date=1327355791]
Ok, thanks.  I had no idea.  First I have heard that.
[/quote]Lincoln's been out of commission for several years now. Pony Express travels slow in that area. ;)
[/quote]

Flaw in the postal system...Newt will fix that!

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="east texas bb" post="1164785" timestamp="1327355456"]
What has happened to their program?  When I was growing up, they were a very powerful basketball school and one that was in Austin very often.  I dont know if they are still pretty good or not, I just know that I havent heard as much of them in the recent years.  What is your take?
[/quote]
Good grief!  They walk among us and they are posting. ::)

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1164827" timestamp="1327361052"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=94735.msg1164785#msg1164785 date=1327355456]
What has happened to their program?  When I was growing up, they were a very powerful basketball school and one that was in Austin very often.  I dont know if they are still pretty good or not, I just know that I havent heard as much of them in the recent years.  What is your take?
[/quote]
[/quote]Maybe because he's not familiar with Beaumont...

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1164827" timestamp="1327361052"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=94735.msg1164785#msg1164785 date=1327355456]
[/quote]
[/quote] ;D :D

[quote name="no-look" post="1164854" timestamp="1327366913"]
[quote author=Tigersvoice link=topic=94735.msg1164827#msg1164827 date=1327361052]
[/quote]
[/quote]Maybe because he's not familiar with Beaumont...
[/quote]Oh no, don't make excuses for this one. lets ride coach a few more hours on this one ;D

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1164896" timestamp="1327373202"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=94735.msg1164884#msg1164884 date=1327370636]
Alright, yall have had your fun....
[/quote]

Hey, there is nothing wrong with asking.  If you never ask, you never know. 

We are all about the information here.
[/quote]yeah, I mean we still ask questions about old history stuff. Might as well ask one we all know the answer ;D

[quote name="Kountzer" post="1165110" timestamp="1327432703"]
Port Arthur Lincoln has been gone at least ten years.  What happened high school basketball in Port Arthur would be a better question.
[/quote]
I do believe PAM is always in the playoffs not to mention they do have kids playing in college..Just saying

I think what has happened to PA basketball is the same thing that has happened elsewhere.  It starts with discipline. Which starts at home. Kids today in general aren't the same as they were 15 or 20 years ago for many reasons.  A lot of which is because parenting today isn't the same as it was back then. Kids, not all but a good portion, lack the discipline that was installed by our parents in the past. You didn't walk of the court and change clothes and sit in the stands, quitting in the middle of a game.  You didn't hear of a lot of players getting kicked off the team for discipline or just not playing because of it.  In PA's case, you had James Gamble whose name, along with Fred Williams, already earned respect.  Lots of these kids today show no respect at all for their coaches.  You can see where that trait comes from by listening to parents at games and even seeing some of their comments on sites such as this one.  Sure criticism of coaches has always been around but wasn't as readily available for the players to see as it is now.  And speaking of sites, that leads to computers and video games.  Many kids spend all their free time today playing with electronics rather than on the courts of the playgrounds or backyards.

You hit the nail dead on the head with that one ST.  Kids these days, not just in PA, dont have the passion and respect for the game.  And that goes for all sports.  I remember playing for Lincoln. We would practice on Saturday morning at Lincoln for 2 or 3 hours and then go to Lamar on the Westside and play basketball for hours.  Nowadays when kids finish practice they go home and sleep.  Even in football, especially baseball and even soccer.

Question...what makes the communities of Sour Lake (HJ), Silsbee, and Houston (Yates) any different? I think that ST was correct when he spoke of the respect factors with the past Memorial coaches versus the Lincoln coaches.  David Green is a heck of a coach, but I think he caught the program at the WRONG time, which was the beginning of the consolidation.  The merger was NOT WANTED, and he had to deal with THAT element..He was not used to the turmoil that took place because of it, which affected his program ultimately, but, strangely enough he managed to have some degree of success anyway...Terrul Henderson was not a bad fit, he just had other things on his plate other than PA Memorial basketball (AAU team in Houston) which hindered his potential success..I cannot speak on the current coach (Travis Williams), though I know him very well, Its midway through year one...nothing to assess...There are certain jobs that just ANY coach cannot come into and do well....Fort Worth Dunbar...Houston Wheatley...Hardin Jefferson (due to tradition)...Beaumont Ozen.....and PORT ARTHUR MEMORIAL...there are SEVERAL factors that play into this statement...1)type of community, 2)type of kids, 3)EXPECTATIONS, 4)level of pressure applied from fans to administration

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476