Shooting

no-look

What part is Mechanics, Mental, repetition, form? Or all the above? Ever seen anyone with terrible form that was a good shooter?  Pistol Pete said he had a little imaginary friend that went with him everywhere he went. He would watch the little guy shoot and he never missed...lol

Locally? Edward "Doobie" Garriet (Beaumont Central '99)....Ugliest jumper in SE Texas, but that sucker would fall!!  ;D....Current NBA player Kevin Martin (Houston Rockets) has HORRIBLE mechanics, but it drops as well...Flip side of that? in the NBA....Boston Celtics, Ray Allen....BEAUTIFUL jump shot!

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1162560" timestamp="1326941796"]
Locally? Edward "Doobie" Garriet (Beaumont Central '99)....Ugliest jumper in SE Texas, but that sucker would fall!!  ;D....Current NBA player Kevin Martin (Houston Rockets) has HORRIBLE mechanics, but it drops as well...Flip side of that? in the NBA....Boston Celtics, Ray Allen....BEAUTIFUL jump shot!
[/quote]Allens is a work of art....

[quote name="no-look" post="1162546" timestamp="1326938878"]
What part is Mechanics, Mental, repetition, form? Or all the above? Ever seen anyone with terrible form that was a good shooter?  Pistol Pete said he had a little imaginary friend that went with him everywhere he went. He would watch the little guy shoot and he never missed...lol
[/quote]All of the above.You can put a kid on the wall shooting spots.If he has the dedication and the work ethic he can make himself a shooter.I watched one go to the gym at 6am for years and do it.There are no short cuts to becoming a pure shooter.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="5 on 5" post="1162567" timestamp="1326942355"]
IMO most kids are never instructed on proper mechanics, and proper drills to reinforce these mechanics. They are just told to go and practice their shooting, and end up reinforcing bad habits.
[/quote]
Good point.  And, in the case of the lower classifications
in Texas, the basketball coach may not have even played basketball on any significant level.  How are they going to help a player improve their shooting? ???

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1162560" timestamp="1326941796"]
[/quote]I grew up with Dubie and played ball against him all the time and I never noticed how ugly the shot is.  But I do agree.  Even as a young kid, that jumper was always ice water!

[quote name="no-look" post="1162569" timestamp="1326942430"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=94510.msg1162560#msg1162560 date=1326941796]
[/quote]Allens is a work of art....
[/quote]I agree.  It just looks like it will go in just based off the beautiful form. 

The best way to teach shooting technique, particularly to young kids (little dribbler age) is to have them shoot with proper form on LOWER BASKETS.  Kids always develop bad shooting habits when they are having to shoot on a 10 foot basket, and using every once of strength just to get the shot up there....Start off with kids on a 7 or 8ft basket, with a youth size ball...This is how you develop mechanics and memory repetition.

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1162634" timestamp="1326955363"]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=94510.msg1162567#msg1162567 date=1326942355]
IMO most kids are never instructed on proper mechanics, and proper drills to reinforce these mechanics. They are just told to go and practice their shooting, and end up reinforcing bad habits.
[/quote]
in Texas, the basketball coach may not have even played basketball on any significant level.  How are they going to help a player improve their shooting? ???
[/quote] Name one of the lower class in texas that may not have played basketball.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="CATMAN" post="1162823" timestamp="1326991249"]
[quote author=Tigersvoice link=topic=94510.msg1162634#msg1162634 date=1326955363]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=94510.msg1162567#msg1162567 date=1326942355]
[/quote]
[/quote] Name one of the lower class in texas that may not have played basketball.
[/quote]
You forgot the part "on any significant level."

Not too sure if the lower classifications and the coaches not playing on any level has anything to do with it, besides those who can't play coach lol that goes for any classification  ;)

One to mention as far as form goes Shawn Marion...tuuurrrrible form....NBA All-Star. go figure

[quote name="stevenash" post="1162559" timestamp="1326941695"]
I know of a kid who used to play at Tatum and went on to play at a LeTourneau college in Longview who had the ugliest three point shot I had ever seen.  He holds the three point record in Tatum.  Shot it from behind his head.  Very effective.
[/quote] 2-A Tatum? He had to shoot from behind his head. Their bigs are 6'0".

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1162839" timestamp="1326992749"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=94510.msg1162559#msg1162559 date=1326941695]
I know of a kid who used to play at Tatum and went on to play at a LeTourneau college in Longview who had the ugliest three point shot I had ever seen.  He holds the three point record in Tatum.  Shot it from behind his head.  Very effective.
[/quote] 2-A Tatum? He had to shoot from behind his head. Their bigs are 6'0".
[/quote]

Hmm- I didn't realize you had seen Tatum play and are therefore able to discuss their height.  Did you watch them play the year they played in the state final as a 3-A team?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1162846" timestamp="1326993090"]
I've known players who could shoot in practice but put them in a game and they can't buy a bucket. So it must be more than just the form. Certainly Jamal Wilkes ranks up high with ugly shots.  World B. Free could shoot. Got to Rockets and couldn't hit a barn.
[/quote]

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think World B ( the change from Lloyd to World b is like going from Ron to Metta World Peace)also shot from behind his head.  I was always impressed by the silky smooth moves/shots of Manute Bol.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1162865" timestamp="1326994344"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=94510.msg1162846#msg1162846 date=1326993090]
I've known players who could shoot in practice but put them in a game and they can't buy a bucket. So it must be more than just the form. Certainly Jamal Wilkes ranks up high with ugly shots.  World B. Free could shoot. Got to Rockets and couldn't hit a barn.
[/quote]

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think World B ( the change from Lloyd to World b is like going from Ron to Metta World Peace)also shot from behind his head.  I was always impressed by the silky smooth moves/shots of Manute Bol.
[/quote]Yep

Speaking of shooting, I can only name or remember players from lower level programs who have led the nation in scoring: Austin Peay (sp?), Texas COLLEGE, Marshall ( or maybe the ex LU kid led in 3 pt. shots), Texas Southern, etc. Surely there have been a few who led the nation in scoring from major D1 schools.

I would think it would not be abnormal for a non d-1 player to lead the nation in scoring by virtue of the fact that a small school can have a great player surrounded by considerably less talented player while the big schools are likely to have multiple talented players at the same time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124