Port Arthur News 40th Annual Super Team Roster...

The PA News super team is kind of like the Orange Leader and KOGT super teams. They only cover certain amount of teams and do not represent all of southeast Texas area. The PA News teams are from just their readership circulation which is PA, Beaumont, Orange and communities within like Bridge City, Port Neches and Nederland. Only 8 total schools were represented on this super team.

Nothing wrong with any of these teams and congrats to all who have made these teams and kudos to those who put these teams together.

Some folks do misunderstand these teams as a representation of all the schools in southeast Texas. That is not the case.

The BE super team will be out tomorrow and will have a bigger coverage of teams with their teams but it still will not cover everyone. I believe it is a better representation of the area though.

Again, congrats to all who make these teams!!

Not sure why you are trying to discredit this list of kids. What is the reason for pointing this out? This list includes most of the area under 'The Golden Triangle'. Beaumont, PA, and Orange are the towns that make up 'The Golden Triangle'. Yes there are other schools in the area, but the area covered comprises about 75% of the population of 'SETX'. BTW-Where does SETX stop? Crosby? Dayton? Livingston? Fred?

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1150404" timestamp="1324746395"]
Not sure why you are trying to discredit this list of kids. What is the reason for pointing this out? This list includes most of the area under 'The Golden Triangle'. Beaumont, PA, and Orange are the towns that make up 'The Golden Triangle'. Yes there are other schools in the area, but the area covered comprises about 75% of the population of 'SETX'. BTW-Where does SETX stop? Crosby? Dayton? Livingston? Fred?
[/quote]
He said that because they didn't cover a school who made it 3 rounds deep in the playoffs and some people were starting to ask question. Some people think its personal. Why would you cover everyone else but Vidor in the area. And if i'm wrong please name a big school in our area that got the same amount of attention as us that they didn't cover.

My point was that some of the local media's super teams (like PA News) only covers certain teams, therefore those teams will be the only one's represented in their super teams. You will see a much broader display of teams in tomorrow's Beaumont Enterprise super teams.

It is what it is. The BE has a bigger readership and circulation than the News, the News has a bigger readership and circulation than the Orange Leader, so on, and so on.

Some folks look at these teams and question why their team's players weren't on them thinking that these teams represent all of southeast Texas and that simply is not the case. You have to accept it for what it is, a representation of that particular media's readership and circulation.

Not trying to take anything away. Just trying to help "some" folks understand the selection process of some of these teams.

[quote name="vp32" post="1150407" timestamp="1324746736"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=93436.msg1150404#msg1150404 date=1324746395]
[/quote]

He said that because they didn't cover a school who made it 3 rounds deep in the playoffs and some people were starting to ask question. Some people think its personal. Why would you cover everyone else but Vidor in the area. And if i'm wrong please name a big school in our area that got the same amount of attention as us that they didn't cover.
[/quote]

It just sounded to me that he was discrediting the kids who made the list. When the Orange Leader came out with their list, I accepted it as it was. I've never read the OL, and most people in Nederland probably haven't either. I don't think anyone was wondering where the Nederland kids where on that list. The PA News is very popular (or it use to be) in mid-county.
When the Houston Chronicle puts out their list, people in Dallas don't question their choices. The PA News has a certain geography they cover just like the OL. This has been this way for 25+ years.

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1150411" timestamp="1324747466"]
[quote author=vp32 link=topic=93436.msg1150407#msg1150407 date=1324746736]
[/quote]

[/quote]

It just sounded to me that he was discrediting the kids who made the list. When the Orange Leader came out with their list, I accepted it as it was. I've never read the OL, and most people in Nederland probably haven't either. I don't think anyone was wondering where the Nederland kids where on that list. The PA News is very popular (or it use to be) in mid-county.
When the Houston Chronicle puts out their list, people in Dallas don't question their choices. The PA News has a certain geography they cover just like the OL. This has been this way for 25+ years.
[/quote]
The Orange Leader football team had specifics. There teams were from Orange county and that is only 4 or 5 teams. The PA news said it was SETX and last time i check Vidor is still part of SETX.

I hear what you are saying. But after 40 years of having a PANews Super Team, I don't think they need to disclose the exact area they are covering.

[quote name="vp32" post="1150422" timestamp="1324750695"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=93436.msg1150411#msg1150411 date=1324747466]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
The Orange Leader football team had specifics. There teams were from Orange county and that is only 4 or 5 teams. The PA news said it was SETX and last time i check Vidor is still part of SETX.
[/quote]

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1150433" timestamp="1324751547"]
I hear what you are saying. But after 40 years of having a PANews Super Team, I don't think they need to disclose the exact area they are covering.
[quote author=vp32 link=topic=93436.msg1150422#msg1150422 date=1324750695]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=93436.msg1150411#msg1150411 date=1324747466]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
I know but i still think its wrong. If you advertise a super team from SETX then you should cover all the teams. Orange Leader covered all the teams so why shouldn't PAnews do it?

I too am a Vidor Pirate fan, very proud of the youngmen and ladies that represent my town and almamater. I too questioned why no representation was there for an exceptional team. However i read the article and when I got to this paragraph it all made sense to me...

[i]"Vidor deserves special mention here too. The Pirates are not considered for Super Team recognition because Vidor is not part of The News circulation area."[/i]

Its a great write up and some extraordinary young men in the article I wish them the best.

[quote name="coachdaddy" post="1150478" timestamp="1324753688"]
I too am a Vidor Pirate fan, very proud of the youngmen and ladies that represent my town and almamater. I too questioned why no representation was there for an exceptional team. However i read the article and when I got to this paragraph it all made sense to me...

[i]"Vidor deserves special mention here too. The Pirates are not considered for Super Team recognition because Vidor is not part of The News circulation area."[/i]

Its a great write up and some extraordinary young men in the article I wish them the best.
[/quote]
Yeah but have you wondered why they don't consider us in part of The News circulation area? I mean they have WOS players, BC players, Nederland players, Ozen players. We are right in the middle of that. Why don't they consider us?

[quote name="vp32" post="1150483" timestamp="1324753828"]
[quote author=coachdaddy link=topic=93436.msg1150478#msg1150478 date=1324753688]

[/quote]
Yeah but have you wondered why they don't consider us in part of The News circulation area? I mean they have WOS players, BC players, Nederland players, Ozen players. We are right in the middle of that. Why don't they consider us?
[/quote]

I think they do not deliver in Vidor. I don't see them in the gas stations and I don't think they end up in driveways. I do not believe Vidor is being picked on, if that is what your getting at.

"[i]The News also entertained a serious coach of the year candidate from Beaumont. Monsignor Kelly first-year boss Clint Hartsfield would have at least shared the award with Port ArthurĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Harrison if his much-improved Dawgs would have claimed the state championship in the TAPPS Division I bracket.[/i]"

Are you kidding me? He has to bring a team that went 0-6 in district last year to win a state championship to AT LEAST share the title of coach of the year? I believe he should have shared it as is and won it out right if he won the championship.

Also not saying the Memorial LB's aren't deserving but you would think that Brandtley Wilson from Kelly could be on the team. I mean he is committed to Air Force.

Where are those 3 memorial players going to play college ball? (this is a serious question if someone knows please answer)

[quote name="2% Milk" post="1150510" timestamp="1324755629"]
"[i]The News also entertained a serious coach of the year candidate from Beaumont. Monsignor Kelly first-year boss Clint Hartsfield would have at least shared the award with Port ArthurĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Harrison if his much-improved Dawgs would have claimed the state championship in the TAPPS Division I bracket.[/i]"

Are you kidding me? He has to bring a team that went 0-6 in district last year to win a state championship to AT LEAST share the title of coach of the year? I believe he should have shared it as is and won it out right if he won the championship.

Also not saying the Memorial LB's aren't deserving but you would think that Brandtley Wilson from Kelly could be on the team. I mean he is committed to Air Force.

Where are those 3 memorial players going to play college ball? (this is a serious question if someone knows please answer)
[/quote]
Singleton is going to baylor. That's all i know.

[quote name="magic" post="1150516" timestamp="1324755986"]
don't take anything away from the Pt Arthur players.
Singleton-- Baylor
Holmes-- Arkansas
Seales-- ??? but I predict he will sign a D1 letter of Intent on Feb 1
[/quote]
That's impressive! Not many teams have (3) D-1 committs. I can count on one hand the number of D-1 players that have come out of Nederland in the past 10 years.

Believe he is asking about Pickett, McMillan and Roberts, ( the 3  Titan LB's the PA News named to their Super Team ) . I am sure these young men had great seasons, but I only saw the WB game and quite honestly, there is no way you can put all of them ahead of the season that Wilson had.
The part in the article  about naming Hartsfield as co-coach of the year , IF Kelly had won the state championship game was one of the most ridiculous displays of slanted journalism I have ever seen.
If you want to have an All-PA Super Team , then fine, call it that, but from now on, do us all a favor and drop the Super SETEX tag. The PA News owes some players and a coach an apology.

[quote name="bruinoriginal" post="1150554" timestamp="1324760017"]
Believe he is asking about Pickett, McMillan and Roberts, ( the 3  Titan LB's the PA News named to their Super Team ) . I am sure these young men had great seasons, but I only saw the WB game and quite honestly, there is no way you can put all of them ahead of the season that Wilson had.
The part in the article  about naming Hartsfield as co-coach of the year , IF Kelly had won the state championship game was one of the most ridiculous displays of slanted journalism I have ever seen.
If you want to have an All-PA Super Team , then fine, call it that, but from now on, do us all a favor and drop the Super SETEX tag. The PA News owes some players and a coach an apology.
[/quote]
I agree.

[/quote]
I agree on both fronts. Didn't realize they were referring to defense.

[/quote]This is exactly what I meant in my post.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder