SETX All Star Basketball Games

The Evadale Catfish Festival will once again host the SETX All Star Basketball games but we are in a bit of a holding pattern and are asking for your help with decision on the timing of the games.

This coming year the Catfish Festival will move to its new date which is March 1-4, 2012. Our problem is this. That is the weekend of the state tournament for girls and the regional tournaments for guys.

Our question is this would you favor us still holding the All Star games on Saturday, March 3rd knowing that it might be we would have to exclude some players who might still be playing or should we wait a couple of weeks until all the teams are finished, which would put us at a disadvantage as it is not on our event weekend.

Tell us what you think and we will then be in a position to begin contacting coaches. The new date would likely effect some players that might participate and I hope that SETX is well represented at the state girls tournament, and the guys regional, but we would like to know if you think that the games could be successful in spite of the date or should we wait?

The All Star games are a part of our scholarship fund raising and a way for players to have one last chance to play against players that they have faced throughout their careers some dating back to games played in Little Dribblers. We look forward to another great year of SETX basketball and the opportunity to spot light some terrific athletes in our All Star games.

Thanks for your input. 

[quote name="Rebel Yeller" post="1121037" timestamp="1321549657"]
The Evadale Catfish Festival will once again host the SETX All Star Basketball games but we are in a bit of a holding pattern and are asking for your help with decision on the timing of the games.

This coming year the Catfish Festival will move to its new date which is March 1-4, 2012. Our problem is this. That is the weekend of the state tournament for girls and the regional tournaments for guys.

Our question is this would you favor us still holding the All Star games on Saturday, March 3rd knowing that it might be we would have to exclude some players who might still be playing or should we wait a couple of weeks until all the teams are finished, which would put us at a disadvantage as it is not on our event weekend.

Tell us what you think and we will then be in a position to begin contacting coaches. The new date would likely effect some players that might participate and I hope that SETX is well represented at the state girls tournament, and the guys regional, but we would like to know if you think that the games could be successful in spite of the date or should we wait?

The All Star games are a part of our scholarship fund raising and a way for players to have one last chance to play against players that they have faced throughout their careers some dating back to games played in Little Dribblers. We look forward to another great year of SETX basketball and the opportunity to spot light some terrific athletes in our All Star games.

Thanks for your input.
[/quote]

OK several people have stopped by, but no one is offering any advice. We really are asking, let us know what you think.

Forgive me for what I say about this as I don't mean to offend or irritate the folks at the Catfish Festival, but I must speak a bit frankly in order to asnwer your question.

I wouldn't say that the Festival had "struggled" to get player participation, but I would think it is fair to say that the participation as far as quantity of players has not met the expectation, or at the very least the hopes, of the organizers.  As I recall, the original number of games, at least last year, had to be reduced due to that.  Further, if I remember correctly, a large number of the particpants in the games, both on the boys and girls side, came from those schools who had advanced far into the playoffs and were at the very least, participating in regional finals.

Thus, it would seem to me that the obvious answer would be to delay the games a couple of weeks so as to ensure as full of participation as possible.  For to play the games during the girls state tournament and boys regional tournaments might, if the playoff runs mirror last year's, even go so far as jeopardizing the ability for those all-star games to even be played.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1121841" timestamp="1321630228"]
Forgive me for what I say about this as I don't mean to offend or irritate the folks at the Catfish Festival, but I must speak a bit frankly in order to asnwer your question.

I wouldn't say that the Festival had "struggled" to get player participation, but I would think it is fair to say that the participation as far as quantity of players has not met the expectation, or at the very least the hopes, of the organizers.  As I recall, the original number of games, at least last year, had to be reduced due to that.  Further, if I remember correctly, a large number of the particpants in the games, both on the boys and girls side, came from those schools who had advanced far into the playoffs and were at the very least, participating in regional finals.

Thus, it would seem to me that the obvious answer would be to delay the games a couple of weeks so as to ensure as full of participation as possible.  For to play the games during the girls state tournament and boys regional tournaments might, if the playoff runs mirror last year's, even go so far as jeopardizing the ability for those all-star games to even be played.
[/quote]

Uh, what he said. ;)

I understand that changing the date was necessary but I just don't like high school all-star games being played while the season is still going. You are eliminating some of your field. Even if we have no local girls team in state tourney and no local boys team in the regional tourneys (I am betting that we will have teams still playing) some of these players, coaches and fans will still be attending the state and regional tourneys.

I am with Grad, I would wait till end of March if possible.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1121852" timestamp="1321630876"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=91746.msg1121841#msg1121841 date=1321630228]

[/quote]

I understand that changing the date was necessary but I just don't like high school all-star games being played while the season is still going.
[/quote]

And further on this, I am not sure that the UIL would be too happy about it either.  If you haven't checked yet, Yeller, you may want to mkae sure that playing such a game doesn't run afoul of some UIL rule or regulation.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder