*Astros Sign Carlos Lee*

PNG70

Astros reportedly reel in Lee

Veteran slugger to ink six-year deal with Houston

By Jim Molony / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Free-agent slugger Carlos Lee has agreed to terms on a six-year contract with the Houston Astros, according to a Houston television station.

KRIV-TV, citing Major League Baseball sources, reported Friday morning that the outfielder had agreed to a six-year contract worth an unspecified amount of money and would be flying to Houston from Panama on Friday evening to sign the contract.

Houston general manager Tim Purpura was not immediately available for comment.

Lee, who was paid $8 million in 2006, is a career .286 hitter in eight Major League seasons, with 221 home runs and 772 RBIs. He has driven in 80 or more runs each of the last eight seasons and has scored 100 or more runs four times. Since the 2003 season, Lee is tied for 12th in the Major Leagues with 131 home runs and ranks ninth with 442 RBIs.

Lee's combined statistics with the Brewers and Rangers last season included a .300 batting average, 37 homers and 116 RBIs.

Lee's agent, Adam Katz, met with Astros owner Drayton McLane and Purpura on Wednesday.

Jim Molony is a writer for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I think this is a good signing since Clemens said he would not play for the Astros until they signed someone to bat cleanup. Berkman was getting too many intentional walks since pitchers didn't fear the hitter behind him, especially Ensberg. Berkman is their best hitter and needs to see some pitches. Lee should give him that opportunity.

Hopefully Clemens will agree and play one more year.

Yeah Berky has certainly got game!

I hope that Luke will be able to establish himself firmly this year in the Astros program. He did a great job for them last season so hopefully, barring any injuries, this should be a good season for him. I'll be watching my Hottie! :lol:

I too hope the Burke rumor isn't true. But, if there is some truth to it, and with Biggio going eventually as well, whoever they bring on has to have a last name that starts with "B"!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01