Is High Island Done?

Had a guy in our press box last night that was evaluating officials and he said that High Island had cancelled the remainder of their football season. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I know they were scheduled to play Deweyville and early in the week the Pirates were searching for a game for their varsity for last night. So did the Cardinals just opt out of that game or have they hung it up for 2011?

I would hate that it happened, but I know we have heard that the numbers are very low and even they finished a game a couple of weeks ago with only 10 players.

Not trying to start anything! Just wanted to know. I would think that they may be looking at the same thing Chester had to do a couple of years back and switching to 6 man in order to play football. 

I hate to say it but HI needs to just play sixman or not play football at all especially with their HS numbers being around or less than 100.  I hate how school are too proud or say its a "step down" to play sixman.  Some school would rather play 11man and get their faces kicked in or not field teams consistenly due to injuries,grades or whatever.... HI needs to find a way to help these kids have success.  I think if they want play football they should go sixman so they can have a chance to compete and maybe be competitive.  Just an opinion.

Guest ECBucFan
Keep in mind that despite repetative hurricanes and all, H-I [i]still[/i] fielded a team. Yes, this year has number problems due to injury but consider; Is this a "long term" issue or is it transitory in nature? I believe this just might be an abberation, and that H-I's numbers will rebound as soon as next season.

Of course, they know best but I can guarantee you we are discussing one of the most resilient communities ever. God bless the Cardinal community!  8)

I have to agree with Bucfan.  We need to wait and see on this one.  The one thing I would say for the football team in High Island.  After Ike the football team had alot to do with saving the school, maybe the school can now help save the football team.  Good Luck Cards.

HI has been a model for small school big heart in all sports. Girls included. It is a place where every kid plays all of the sports just so they can field teams even if it isn't "their thing". But looking down the line they can barely field one junior high football team now, so I don't see an end to this problem anytime soon. Its sad but 6 man or consolidation with (?) is hopefully in the future because no one is moving in.
Im not being negative but its not fair to the ones that want to play FB but cant, and the other teams on HI schedule that will end up with only 9 games.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder