Recruiting by Private High Schools

VT89

[quote name="VT89" post="1045865" timestamp="1314851162"]
I find it disappointing that local private schools are actively recruiting talented players from the smaller public schools.  Will only serve to push smaller schools to eventually drop soccer when the talented players being developed leave the program early due to the promises from the private schools and the school can't sustain the program.  Sometimes I think the players that leave are a little misguided as their real "exposure" comes from playing on D-1 or Super 2 select clubs and not the high school team.
[/quote]

What local private schools are you talking about?

[quote name="VT89" post="1045865" timestamp="1314851162"]
I find it disappointing that local private schools are actively recruiting talented players from the smaller public schools.  Will only serve to push smaller schools to eventually drop soccer when the talented players being developed leave the program early due to the promises from the private schools and the school can't sustain the program.  Sometimes I think the players that leave are a little misguided as their real "exposure" comes from playing on D-1 or Super 2 select clubs and not the high school team.
[/quote]

Agreed... as to the point of where you gain exposure. National Cup Spring Games or  High rated tournament Showcases.. like Challenge Texas shootout, Disney, Final Four Showcase.

Have not seen many college scouts at High School Games.. none at the Kelly games for the four years I watched a very good team. Now I would think they would come if invited and you are already a prospect.

What private school are you speaking of.  The five years I have been at Kelly not one player has come thru the school, that didnt attend  the feeder schools for Kelly. Whether it be the Catholic schools in Port Arthur or Orange plus the schools in Beaumont.  Recruiting?  Please all you people  that say that players are recruited.  List their initials and tell me what promises are made to these players. Its great everyone wants to say its happened but nobody can ever pin point a person or a name. As for Colleges looking.  I have to disagree and agree with RIP.  I have had 6 players asked by college coaches seen playing for Kelly.  And one player by 4 different coaches.  All from playing thru high school soccer.  However like RIP said most major colleges only recruit thru Div One or Academy program and its players.  When you say that players are recruited ask yourself whose going to pay the 8 to 10 thousand dollar tuition these kids are required to pay.  Also whose going to do their homework and all the school work expected.  Last if you feel so strong call the private school coach and express your thoughts and ask questions about what is bothering you.  Sometime what you hear may not be at all what is the truth.  I for one would love to answer any questions you have.  And when people share their tales,  it seems that none of the people or names can be spoken.  I have found it enjoyable to actually develop a jv player to be a varsity or to make players out of what we have at Kelly.  Which is a school of 410 boys and girls.  If other schools would try and teach and develop players all soccer in the area would excel. Again please let me know of any recruiting stories being told.

I understand what your saying.  I would like to say a few things on this.  Jose asked  two years ago about coming to Kelly.  But didnt want to leave because his brother wanted to attend HF.  two years ago their brother approached me about the cost.  I explained its a sliding scale and depending on parents wages.  Subject was dropped.  This past year they both were interested in attending and the mom filled out paperwork.  Mikey their brother was hired to be the JV coach with or without his brothers.  The money he makes is not anywhere near enough to pay for one of  their education.  My salary for soccer probably wouldnt pay for their education. Mikey as you know is a great coach/ trainer.  He will be a big help as I have 44 kids in the soccer class.  Jose will get his scholarship for college from his club team he plays for. He is playing club at First Colony Eclipse and will be seen that way. Jorge on the other hand is more interested in Golf than soccer.  When spring rolls around he cant stay in soccer class because he wants to play golf. Speak to them or to their mom.  They will tell you.  I said over and over and over do NOT come just for soccer as the school and education is very disciplined and loaded with  homework.  On our bus trips I would say over half the players will do homework.  Over the season at one time or another they ALL do homework.  When season starts our soccer PE becomes a homeroom class as I make them do homework.  And yes you can ask and question any of them.  I would never ask a kid to come play soccer at Kelly for one major reason.  The first time I sit them or gripe and all their time there they will say. "You asked me to play ,  I could have stayed at (wherever high school)."  I do not and would never beg a kid to play club for me either for the same reason.  Jose and another player guest played for a Kelly club team.  If you noticed the club team was not a great team but by playing week after week in the league they will become decent before high school season starts.  HF had a club team a couple of years ago, and a very succesful high school season that year.  That will help your team more than anything you can do for them.  I dont care if we win a game in club and see to it they play many positions.  By doing this their chances of winning games is cut back. I am out to develop soccer players for high school. JC from Vidor came this year because of a disagreement between coach, parents and Jacob.  I have a text saved where the coach told me he would not allow the player back because of the incidents the season before.  That kid LOVES soccer and is a great great kid.  So to have a place to play he decided to come to Kelly.  And again I spoke to him and his father and told them to weigh out their options and asked the young man why he didnt want to settle his differences with the coach.  And encouraged him to do that.  I would be good with or without those players  because I have alot  playing club and working them in class.  With those players I have a couple of extra good players. Try to get your kids playing on Saturdays and getting some touches on the ball in game situations.  What I have just written you is the truth nothing is a lie.  When kids speak they may say they were recruited to other kids to feel special.  I have had several other players locally ask me about Kelly.  I told them the same thing.  Fill out the paperwork and see what your cost is.  The parents have to pay 150 dollars just to apply at Kelly. So most of them are not coming to see us.  All the rumors that I am out looking for players is a false statement.  I work with Micah , the keeper from PNG one on one quite a bit.  He is a great young man and keeper.  I have NEVER asked him to come to Kelly.  I have worked with the keeper from HF one time.  This kid has a lot of potential and great size for the position.  Also quite athletic.  Needs some confidence.  And I didnt ask him to come either. :)  I would love to have formed another  club team to get some other players that wanted to play  a place. So if you ever have a few looking to play on Saturdays let me know and you can combine and coach them yourself.  Thanks... hope this answered your  concerns.  There just isnt any money to pay for players. 

Thanks coach for the reply and the transparency.  I admire Kelly's program and the kids will do great there.  I have seen the quality players that come out of Kelly.  I guess there is a sadness to see 3A schools trying to keep competitive with bigger schools.  Would not be surprised with the Feb UIL realignment that some scoops drop to 2A and have to drop soccer. 

Good luck this season and I am sure Jose will make Super Gold as he deserves it.

BD3  -  I wasn't referring to Ozen or basketball. 

[quote name="VT89" post="1047097" timestamp="1314993743"]
Thanks coach for the reply and the transparency.  I admire Kelly's program and the kids will do great there.  I have seen the quality players that come out of Kelly.  I guess there is a sadness to see 3A schools trying to keep competitive with bigger schools.  Would not be surprised with the Feb UIL realignment that some scoops drop to 2A and have to drop soccer. 

Good luck this season and I am sure Jose will make Super Gold as he deserves it.

BD3  -  I wasn't referring to Ozen or basketball.
[/quote]No problem, whether its basketball or soccer it all have the same implications ;)

Shark loves Futbol... he is a good man with good intentions. If your kid wants to learn the game he will teach them on or off the Kelly roster.

As for Kelly.. it is a tough school.  My child did not particularly like going there.. but it was what she needed... If there is a will there is a way ! Not every child that attends there comes from strong financial means.. we certainly did not. But I learned from my parents... you should make sacrifices for your children.  Conversely my eldest daughter graduated from West Brook.. she did not need the tight discipline.

Kelly's soccer program is strong due to the work Shark puts into it.

[quote name="rip2506" post="1048613" timestamp="1315072659"]
Shark loves Futbol... he is a good man with good intentions. If your kid wants to learn the game he will teach them on or off the Kelly roster.

As for Kelly.. it is a tough school.  My child did not particularly like going there.. but it was what she needed... If there is a will there is a way ! Not every child that attends there comes from strong financial means.. we certainly did not. But I learned from my parents... you should make sacrifices for your children.  Conversely my eldest daughter graduated from West Brook.. she did not need the tight discipline.

Kelly's soccer program is strong due to the work Shark puts into it.
[/quote]Excellent point.

Thanks RIP.  Enjoy the updates on your daughter.  The schooling at Kelly is very strict and a good fit for alot of young men and women.  The majority of students at Kelly do not pay full tuition and like you said not all wealthy.  However they want their children to have a better or tighter rein on them thru school.  I have enjoyed it as the parents are so supportive and its pretty much like a club team.  In that the parents make it special for the kids.  again thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Soccer at Kelly matters and that is nice to see and hear. Heck, Lumberton has made the playoffs practically every year and won multiple district championships since their soccer inception in 1991 yet all they seem to care about is FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL...WOW..not Baseball which has accepted complete mediocrity nor Soccer or anything else get the support they should get and need. I don't even think Lumberton will allow Freshman into Soccer athletics or do they have a CLUB team?? I doubt it....Could it be possible that some kids would salivate at the opportunity to go play for a school that was passionate about the same thing they are? I couldn't imagine Kelly having to recruit cause it sounds like they have fish jumping in the boat cause of the protein in the water being both scholastically and athletically. All that being said I understand the frustration of 3A, 4A etc. schools possibly losing kids but the problem is NOT private school coaches recruiting it's more so these schools not making it important cause they are so focused on the American Football GODS...So the next time you hear this garbage coming out of someone please just tell them to stop it..Just my opinion...

I do not know who you are.  But surely appreciate what you have said about the Soccer at Kelly.  Also the post about the kicker at Kelly.  I am proud of this kid. 5ft 6 136 and knocking long balls on target and probably leading the area in punting.  But the more importantly he plays soccer for Kelly.  Thanks again LongBall

[quote name="sharkfutbol" post="1080999" timestamp="1318467292"]
I do not know who you are.  But surely appreciate what you have said about the Soccer at Kelly.  Also the post about the kicker at Kelly.  I am proud of this kid. 5ft 6 136 and knocking long balls on target and probably leading the area in punting.  But the more importantly he plays soccer for Kelly.  Thanks again LongBall
[/quote]

I like Long Ball too! :D

when does soccer season start coach?

Boys and Girls travel to Concordia Nov 1st.  Volleyball made the playoffs so we will be missing a couple of girls for our first game.  Going to take a little work on girls side to get a line up at first.  Boys should or could be really good if they stay healthy and work.  Then home game for boys and girls Nov 8 and 9th.  Boys jv at 400 girls varsity at 530 and Varsity boys 7

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder