Zone Defense

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If played correctly, a zone is a man to man with lots of switching... and at times a man to man is a zone (help side, away from ball)... Good defensive teams make it hard to distinguish what defense is being played....

The thought that you stand in a 2-3 or 1-3-1 set up makes it REALLY easy to get good looks and easy buckets...

I have not had much experance with bigger schools. But in the smaller ones I like to play a box in one, Most schools have one maybe two strong players, and then other roll players . I like to take the ball out of their star players hand and have them try and beat me with their roll players. But to say you stay man on man or just run a Zone realy hurts your players.

[quote name="speechless" post="1035306" timestamp="1313333855"]
Who knew that all this time Jim Boeheim didn't know what he was doing?
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I know that a lot of people think that man to man is the only way to go.  I would think that you need to be effective at both approaches to succeed today.  NBA uses zone quite a bit (albeit disguised)  Gotta believe there is good reason for it if they use it at that level.

Guest speechless
Tom Thibodeaux....the best defensive coach in the NBA and NBA coach of the year has made backside zone defense "the way to play" in the NBA.  In other words, you are matched up on the ball side but, if you are away from the ball then you overload to the ball side employing zone rotations.

Go ask ANY college coach what defense they don't want to see night in and night out and they will tell you "zone".  They can't run their sets against zone.  It forces teams to be more stagnant and less movement and takes the game out of the coaches hands and puts it into the hands of the players (which college coaches really hate).

I believe that Tom Thibodeaux and Jim Boeheim are adequate documentation that there is a place for a zone defense in the game today.  Seems to me that a team ought to employ whatever defense causes the most trouble for the opposing team. (I am more than confident that HJ would not have beaten Cleveland in each of the past two seasons playoff games if they had gone man to man entirely for both games) Gonna be difficult for a team comprised of mostly skill oriented(and only average athleticism at best) players to defend a good group of athletes for an entire game in a man to man defense.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1035372" timestamp="1313345381"]
If you were coaching a team that plays man to man and you were down 15 at the half, your best player had 4 fouls and the next two best players each had three fouls, would you remain in the man to man defense?
[/quote]

Nope and I would be scratching that particular officiating crew from my future games. ;)

I still like man defense. ;D

BTW, I can still come out in the 2nd half in man because of my deep bench. ;) ;D

If you are that deep, I predict an undefeated season for you.  I was foolishly thinking that if your best players couldnt get it done in man to man, it might be reasonable to assume that their replacements would not be able to overcome a 15 point deficit.  But, then again, maybe you employ the Celtic theory where the next sub is better than the starter he replaced except that, in this case, the next three were the superior players.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1035378" timestamp="1313347041"]
If you are that deep, I predict an undefeated season for you.  I was foolishly thinking that if your best players couldnt get it done in man to man, it might be reasonable to assume that their replacements would not be able to overcome a 15 point deficit.  But, then again, maybe you employ the Celtic theory where the next sub is better than the starter he replaced except that, in this case, the next three were the superior players.
[/quote]

Yep, you can predict and be foolish. ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder