Barbers Hill vs. Baytown Lee Game Thread/Lee wins/Comments

Guest Ranger83
[size=12pt]Baseball: Baytown Lee surges past Barbers Hill 8-3[/size]

By DIDIER MORAIS
Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
April 12, 2011, 9:19PM

For two and two-thirds innings, Barbers Hill starter Christian Thames pounded the strike zone with crisp pitches.

Then came the hit-by-pitch.

After plunking Baytown Lee's Deion Miller in the third inning, the southpaw unraveled against the heart of the Ganders' lineup, yielding four hits and five runs- four were unearned — before recording the last out.

Powered by Marc Witt's two RBIs and second home run of the season, Baytown Lee (15-6, 7-2) surged to an 8-3 victory to overtake Barbers Hill (13-6-2, 5-3) for sole possession of second place in District 19-4A.

"All year long we didn't have a complete game where everyone - one through nine - came out and hit the ball," Ganders manager David Hackney said. "It's always been two or three guys spaced out, so this was encouraging."

Baytown Lee ace Reed Seeley initiated the third-inning barrage, smacking a line-drive single to drive in Miller. Then a Barbers Hill error and two straight singles by Michael Gomez and Witt quickly resulted into an early 6-0 cushion.

With six runs in his pocket, Seeley proceeded to go to work. The senior righthander stopped the Eagles with his devastating curveball all night, causing six of the first eight batters he fanned into strikeouts.

"I was able to pitch my curveball anytime in the count and it just helped me keep them off balance," said Seeley, who finished with 10 strikeouts. "They couldn't sit on the fastball and it helped me get outs all night. I had my pitches working."

His lone hiccup came in the sixth inning. After surrendering an RBI double to Blake Bonnin, Seeley threw a wild pitch past Eddie Garza and deep into the backstop that allowed Barbers Hill to trim the deficit to 6-3.

Despite the rocky stretch, the Ganders' offense resurfaced and rescued Seeley once again. In the bottom of the sixth, Anthony Yrlas crushed a pitch over the left field wall for a towering, two-run homer.

By the end of the night, eight different Baytown Lee players managed to get on base and score, a feat that was integral to avenging their previous 3-2 loss against the Eagles on March 18.

"It was a very big win," Hackney said. "If they had beaten us and we would've caught them by the end of district, they would've had the tie-breaker. We have a game up on them now and it keeps us at pace with Goose Creek Memorial."

[email protected]

HUGE loss for the hill. surely the importance of that game warranted BH throwing Long???? hence the ??? of why he pitched 6 innings against dayton when BH was up by 7+ runs early and Northforrest coming to town the next friday.

now with 5 to play the hill has their backs to the wall. having already lost to 2 of the remaining 5, it is conceivable that BH could lose 3 of the 5. man-oh-man, PRESSURE.

[quote name="luke38" post="996796" timestamp="1302701441"]
HUGE loss for the hill. surely the importance of that game warranted BH throwing Long???? hence the ??? of why he pitched 6 innings against dayton when BH was up by 7+ runs early and Northforrest coming to town the next friday.

now with 5 to play the hill has their backs to the wall. having already lost to 2 of the remaining 5, it is conceivable that BH could lose 3 of the 5. man-oh-man, PRESSURE.

[/quote]

Agreed on the pitcher selection! Surely we are not stuck on dates for someone to pitch, but the schedule of upcoming opponents!! I really didn't understand that either. I think we need to be a little more aggressive in some areas (outfielders trying to make a catch, which costs us some runs) and our infielder's errors, seen way to many and some from same infielder. We need to make a run from here on out to keep a good seed for playoffs.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124