Beaumont Enterprise 2011 Super Gold Teams

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="995744" timestamp="1302542215"]
To me, comparing Evadale to Nederland is apples and oranges. Nederland did start practicing basketball on the first day of practice and did not have to delay their start to the season. Evadale could not start basketball practice because every single player for them played football and their football season did not end till December. Evadale did not get to play their first game till the 2nd weekend of December and that was only after 1 day of practice.
[/quote]

Educate me here, but don't most 1a schools (who have a FB program) go through similar scenarios? I'm guessing MOST 1a kids play both sports??

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="995745" timestamp="1302542406"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=82957.msg995744#msg995744 date=1302542215]
To me, comparing Evadale to Nederland is apples and oranges. Nederland did start practicing basketball on the first day of practice and did not have to delay their start to the season. Evadale could not start basketball practice because every single player for them played football and their football season did not end till December. Evadale did not get to play their first game till the 2nd weekend of December and that was only after 1 day of practice.
[/quote]

Educate me here, but don't most 1a schools (who have a FB program) go through similar scenarios? I'm guessing MOST 1a kids play both sports??
[/quote]

That is why I was stating that comparing the two is apples and oranges. No one was comparing Evadale to another 1A.

Also, in regards to "all 1A's" having to face the same thing, Hull-Daisetta was the only school in Evadale's basketball district that went to the football playoffs, and they lost in first round. Big Sandy, who is in Evadale's basketball district, doesn't even play football.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="995754" timestamp="1302543180"]
Also, in regards to "all 1A's" having to face the same thing, Hull-Daisetta was the only school in Evadale's basketball district that went to the football playoffs, and they lost in first round. Big Sandy, who is in Evadale's basketball district, doesn't even play football.
[/quote]

Gotcha-thanks for the EDU!

Guest Tarkthe Shark
There is no question that Coach English has done great things for the NHS basketball program. But Abe, you need to get some facts straight. Coach Williams was never the head coach at Vidor, he was the varsity assistant 17 years ago, when Vidor was playing 5A. As far as his time in Nederland 1995-2006, there was no one who worked as hard as he did. My son had the opportunity to play 4 years for him. No one questions the fact that Coach English has had a tremendous run of success for a program that was never known for basketball, but don't dismiss the effort of another coach that you don't have a clue about.

[quote name="Tarkthe Shark" post="995789" timestamp="1302546948"]
There is no question that Coach English has done great things for the NHS basketball program. But Abe, you need to get some facts straight. Coach Williams was never the head coach at Vidor, he was the varsity assistant 17 years ago, when Vidor was playing 5A. As far as his time in Nederland 1995-2006, there was no one who worked as hard as he did. My son had the opportunity to play 4 years for him. No one questions the fact that Coach English has had a tremendous run of success for a program that was never known for basketball, but don't dismiss the effort of another coach that you don't have a clue about.
[/quote]
Oh sorry about that, I thought he coached at Vidor too. I'll remove that from my earlier post. However, I DO know he did not put in the effort to make a difference in Nederland. He had plenty of talent to make the playoffs at least once. He did not encourage the boys like (has shown) can be done.

Guest Tarkthe Shark
I guess running basketball camp, hosting winter and summer league(when no other school would) and helping get the little dribblers program started through the Nederland Parks and Rec Department doesn't count. He also paid out of his own pocket players camp fee's to be able to go off to summer basketball camp. And let's take it a step further...in your mind every other basketball coach in Nederland's history was a failure if your looking at win's and losses. Lot's of really good coaches have come through Nederland, no question Coach English has accomplished the most.

[quote name="Tarkthe Shark" post="995818" timestamp="1302549366"]
I guess running basketball camp, hosting winter and summer league(when no other school would) and helping get the little dribblers program started through the Nederland Parks and Rec Department doesn't count. He also paid out of his own pocket players camp fee's to be able to go off to summer basketball camp. And let's take it a step further...in your mind every other basketball coach in Nederland's history was a failure if your looking at win's and losses. Lot's of really good coaches have come through Nederland, no question Coach English has accomplished the most.
[/quote]
No, he did NOT get Little Dribblers started. You need to get YOUR facts straight. Coach English did while he was still at Vidor. And, IF he helped pay for a summer camp out of his own pocket, then (I believe) that is against UIL violations. As far as other Nederland basketball coaches go, I don't think they have had many good ones. Lots of losses, not many Ws. Williams had nowhere near the commitment that it takes (while he was in Nederland) to be an elite program-IMO. He may be great for Evadale, but he accomplished nothing while he coached at Nederland.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="995725" timestamp="1302540369"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=82957.msg995719#msg995719 date=1302539714]
I really don't think anyone is argueing that Brian should not be COY, but don't belittle what Laurance has done at Evadale and don't say he is hating on Nederland because that is not the case.

It just sounded like this manager dude has a personal axe to grind with Coach L and has nothing to do with who should be COY.
[/quote]

I don't know what his personal issue is with him. I'll give Coach L respect if he does something more than one season. Not sure if his kids had lots of talent or what. I just know he did NOTHING for the Nederland program when he was there. Hardwood-he did NOT prepare any of these kids to get where they are today. Coach E is the one who coached them during little dribblers, etc and implemented a winning attitude, along with their work ethic and dedication to the program...

um your wrong coach williams coach dionte and cunningham during middle school so yes He taught that group the game
[/quote]

This is for honest Abe...Nederland did make the playoffs during one year of Williams term at Nederland. They played WOS in the Montagne Center. You have no idea what your talking about. I played for Coach Will and i know that he is one the hardest working coach's out there. Just because he didn't have the best players or talent in his term at Nederland doesn't mean he did work his butt off every day to get the kids ready. And you don't know that because you weren't at his practices. During one season they practiced at 6 a.m. and after school. If that isn't hard work i don't know what is. I would like to point out that coach English isn't playing against a team like Ozen with Perk or a LCM team with Cameron Spencer and Hurley. English didn't coach agains TJ or Lincoln also. The district is severally weak. Show some respect. Both coaches are great at what they do and are great role models for the young kids.

Guest Ricthepic
It's really a shame this thread has taken on this tone. Both schools had terrific years. Congrats to all those that made the Super Gold Team. That's what we should be celebrating. LW

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="995701" timestamp="1302537637"]
I agree that Adam Stark should have been on the Super Gold team, but he is not the only local player playing in the TABC all star game.
[/quote] Your right about Adam, but this a case were just stats were looked at,and not what he ment to his team. This years Evadale Team was made up of 4 very good players but together they were a verygood team. Deven led the team in scoring, Blane led in rebounds, and led the State in blocks, but was 2 in scoring and 2 in steals . Adam was 3 in scoring 2 in rebounds, and Tucker lead the team in steals,3 in rebounds and had a great State game. I know this is a indivdual award, But Evadale would not have made it past the first round of the playoffs if they had not all pulled together as a team.

[quote name="baddog" post="995966" timestamp="1302567541"]
I could be wrong, but didn't Evadale have about the same team last year and didn't fare well?
[/quote] They had 3 of the same starters. The ones that were different were Blane and the point guard( who ever they started). But the pressents of a 6'7'' shot blocker  inside made a big differents in how teams tryed to match up with them. And as far as them not faring well last year, they made the playoffs ,for the first time in 6 yrs ,and lost there first playoff game in over time.

[quote name="True Blue" post="995956" timestamp="1302566454"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=82957.msg995701#msg995701 date=1302537637]
I agree that Adam Stark should have been on the Super Gold team, but he is not the only local player playing in the TABC all star game.
[/quote] [u][b]Your right about Adam, but this a case were just stats were looked at,and not what he ment to his team.[/b][/u] This years Evadale Team was made up of 4 very good players but together they were a verygood team. Deven led the team in scoring, Blane led in rebounds, and led the State in blocks, but was 2 in scoring and 2 in steals . Adam was 3 in scoring 2 in rebounds, and Tucker lead the team in steals,3 in rebounds and had a great State game. I know this is a indivdual award, But Evadale would not have made it past the first round of the playoffs if they had not all pulled together as a team.
[/quote]Well, Garrett Gustafson would be the exception to that.  The young man was invaluable to the HJ Hawks, but his numbers didn't reflect it.

[quote name="True Blue" post="996013" timestamp="1302571669"]
That just depends on what stats your looking at. I dont know for sure but I would bet that Gus led in [b]butt[/b]. and steals, and that is the only stats that matter to a true point guard.  JMO but Gus  was the best true point guard in SETX this year.
[/quote]Oh, I agree that Gus is the best true pg in SETX.... no doubt.  But I don't believe that his true worth showed up in the scorers' books.

BTW, what is "butt."?  ???

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="996449" timestamp="1302648438"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=82957.msg996013#msg996013 date=1302571669]
That just depends on what stats your looking at. I dont know for sure but I would bet that Gus led in [b]butt[/b]. and steals, and that is the only stats that matter to a true point guard.  JMO but Gus  was the best true point guard in SETX this year.
[/quote]Oh, I agree that Gus is the best true pg in SETX.... no doubt.  But I don't believe that his true worth showed up in the scorers' books.

BTW, what is "butt."?  ???
[/quote] ;D ;D I dont know what a butt is ;D I put a s s for assist, and looks like the moderator changed it for me ;D

[quote name="True Blue" post="996490" timestamp="1302655527"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=82957.msg996449#msg996449 date=1302648438]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=82957.msg996013#msg996013 date=1302571669]
That just depends on what stats your looking at. I dont know for sure but I would bet that Gus led in [b]butt[/b]. and steals, and that is the only stats that matter to a true point guard.  JMO but Gus  was the best true point guard in SETX this year.
[/quote]Oh, I agree that Gus is the best true pg in SETX.... no doubt.  But I don't believe that his true worth showed up in the scorers' books.

BTW, what is "butt."?  ???
[/quote] ;D ;D I dont know what a butt is ;D I put a s s for assist, and looks like the monters changed it for me ;D
[/quote]  :D :D  Oh, OK... I get it!!!

But now I'm confused.... what is a "monter"?  ;)

Man, did I just have a stevenash moment?  I think I need to go take some aspirin.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder