Can Coach Knight do this?

[quote name="becktobigs" post="993803" timestamp="1302101622"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=82781.msg993724#msg993724 date=1302096474]
[quote author=DenisGScott link=topic=82781.msg993653#msg993653 date=1302062513]
While I highly doubt the Blue Devils are coming to Beaumont, and I'm not sure Knight is the right guy, I want to think that because of who he is that he may have some contacts to at least beef up the schedule at home, I'm not expecting Duke, UConn, Pitt, but better than Louisiana College
[/quote]Nobody said Duke is coming. Why do you always have to bring the rain. The hope is can Knight at least try to bring Duke here.
Coach K can help a friend out.
[/quote]Coach Cal didn't help Roc and they spent a lot of time together.   Maybe Dook will come and play by SLC rules; i.e., with SLC officiating.  It trumps talent every time.
[/quote]Maybe they couldn't get a schedule, maybe they didn't try, you don't know.

I never understood this hatred of Tubbs(2). He was basically a stop gap after Deane. Year one was tuff, but he was coaching players recruited by Deane to play a slow half court game and we all know they were not conducive to Tubbs style. Years two and three when he got his type player in here LU went 18-11 and 17-14. Since Foster left almost 30 years ago now, those are 2 of the top 10 seasons in LU basketball. Tubbs second time around is the only LU coach since Abetamarco's 2 years that LU has had a coach with a winning record.

Here's the really sad fact about LU BBall since 1984...ZERO seasons with single digit losses!!! 6 of 7 from 1978-1984.

[quote name="UNLV" post="993405" timestamp="1302050620"]
Coach Knight said he called up coach K, why not bring Duke to Beaumont. Fill the Montagne that night.
Why can't Coach K help a friend. This game would be as big as when NC Villanova came to town,.
[/quote]

This was something he spoke directly about after the press conference. He was hesitant to say whether or not it could be done, but instead stated he would have "to call in a major favor" to Coach K or other big names to make it happen. All in all, he sounded uneasy about the possibility, but who knows? If he gets the ship righted and under the right circumstances (mostly being mutually beneficial to both teams) it could happen.

I don't understand the dislike for Tubbs either, but then I was there when his teams went to the sweet 16, beat the likes of Missouri in the tourney, lost by a point in Chicago to then #1 team in the nation, DePaul, lost at the buzzer to Phi Slama Jama at Hofheinz, etc. All of that is so far removed from the recent state of affairs of LU basketball that its hard to even think that it ever really happened. But it did...and when it all happened it was Billy Tubbs that ran the show.

[quote name="LamarTech" post="993982" timestamp="1302120085"]
I don't understand the dislike for Tubbs either, but then I was there when his teams went to the sweet 16, beat the likes of Missouri in the tourney, lost by a point in Chicago to then #1 team in the nation, DePaul, lost at the buzzer to Phi Slama Jama at Hofheinz, etc. All of that is so far removed from the recent state of affairs of LU basketball that its hard to even think that it ever really happened. But it did...and when it all happened it was Billy Tubbs that ran the show.
[/quote]

And SMU used to be really good too, but that's the past, just like Lamar basketball. It's all about what coaches can do for teams in THIS decade.

SMU was really good? Legally? ...perhaps before the second World War? I can't seem to remember. BUT...you are right...it is all about today and the future...Billy Tubbs is the past...and Bobby Knight is the past...but these guys were winners once upon a time. Billy loves his alma mater. I just don't understand people on this thread that have such negative views about the most successful men's basketball coach in Lamar's history. It's a new day...and I'm wishing the best for our new coach.

From now until gametime everyone of us needs to be 100% excited about the potential.  I do believe we have players returning capable of much more than we saw last year.  I support Lamar first above even my favorite teams.  One thnig I believe is positive is that even though Coack Knights record was not acceptable at Tech to continure, if you watched them I believe you saw improvement in idividual players over his tenure there.  That is one thing that I have been most disappointed in while watching Lamar.  There seemed to be very little skills improvement in the players from one year to the next.

I liked everything Knight said at his first news conference.  I was really impressed with what he said about his knowledge of our players and that he had watched game tapes of them. I wonder how much of what he said was because he believed it, or it was the right thing to say. I don't know if he is a good X's and O's guy.  My biggest concern is his ability to motivate the kids.  I think Rocs biggest fault was his superimposed ego and his motivation skills worked negatively.  I think he broke the spirit and confidence of most of his players.  If Knight can get this back, and get the players believing in themselves, he will be more successful that Roc. Plus a little defense won't hurt!

[quote name="LamarTech" post="994045" timestamp="1302133588"]
SMU was really good? Legally? ...perhaps before the second World War? I can't seem to remember. BUT...you are right...it is all about today and the future...Billy Tubbs is the past...and Bobby Knight is the past...but these guys were winners once upon a time. Billy loves his alma mater. I just don't understand people on this thread that have such negative views about the most successful men's basketball coach in Lamar's history. It's a new day...and I'm wishing the best for our new coach.
[/quote]People have been saying bad things about Pat Foster?  Shame!

[quote name="woodman" post="994141" timestamp="1302178493"]
I liked everything Knight said at his first news conference.  I was really impressed with what he said about his knowledge of our players and that he had watched game tapes of them. I wonder how much of what he said was because he believed it, or it was the right thing to say. I don't know if he is a good X's and O's guy.  My biggest concern is his ability to motivate the kids.  I think Rocs biggest fault was his superimposed ego and his motivation skills worked negatively.  I think he broke the spirit and confidence of most of his players.  If Knight can get this back, and get the players believing in themselves, he will be more successful that Roc. Plus a little defense won't hurt!
[/quote]Actually, all new coaches say nice things and what we wanna hear. Especially at LU ::) Been thru this too many times. Can't get excited right now.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder