Should Jimmer F. be POY ????

Ok here's a question that should get a few comments.Going by some opinions on this board the POY should come from the champion.Using this logic the kid with the absolute best statistical year in college hoops would not win the award.What do you guys think?? I think the kid has to be the POY, the books don't lie.

Tricky Question.  What do people judge the POY by, how there team does or by what they do?  If you decide based on how far your team gets, then you have to factor in the other players for both teams. If you are judging just by the player who got the most attention, had the best stats then I think it cant go off how far your team advanced.  If you are picking Team of the Year, that is a different story, but it is POY, so I would say Jimmer.  But, because politics are always apart of it, how far the team makes it helps a player out.  IMO if Uconn wins the National Tournament Kimba Walker will get it, if they dont Jimmer will get it.  I would pick Jimmer. JMO

[quote name="whsalum" post="992290" timestamp="1301842924"]
Ok here's a question that should get a few comments.Going by some opinions on this board the POY should come from the champion.Using this logic the kid with the absolute best statistical year in college hoops would not win the award.What do you guys think?? I think the kid has to be the POY, the books don't lie.
[/quote]

This does spark a interesting discussion now that I think about it.. Kemba has great stats and leads his team to a championship, while Jimmer dominates the stats with best in the nation and gets the MVP award..

Does this scenario seem familiar? Im talking about the NBA and Lebron James vs. Kobe Bryant. Im [u][b][i]NOT[/i][/b][/u] comparing the two players, just pointing out the similarity ;)

Either player was well deserving

It's an INDIVIDUAL award in a TEAM sport. It, to me, ranks WAY down on my list of cares.
Since it is an individual award, I have no problem using the stats to determine who wins. Ask the player what they'd rather have, a Nation Championship or POY...no contest. If you were picking a team, I think > 90% of people choose Walker over Jimmer. Both are tremendous players and were/are fun to watch play!

No doubt anyone who ever played would rather win the championship.That being said the players who aren't blessed with the strong supporting cast deserve the recognition too.Jimmer may never be a great NBA player but he had as sweet a stroke as anyone who has played the college game in years.

Did yaw see BYU when they had everyone? they beat SD state twice with their whole team. Jimmer WAS Byu HE took them to the sweet 16 by himself, Uconn actually had more than kemba, im getting at that if BYU woulda surrounded Jimmer with more talent u would have seen a better Jimmer, I say Kemba and Jimmer are about equal but IMO Jimmer is more clutch

[quote name="The Spy" post="993657" timestamp="1302062700"]
Did yaw see BYU when they had everyone? they beat SD state twice with their whole team. Jimmer WAS Byu HE took them to the sweet 16 by himself, Uconn actually had more than kemba, im getting at that if BYU woulda surrounded Jimmer with more talent u would have seen a better Jimmer, I say Kemba and Jimmer are about equal but IMO Jimmer is more clutch
[/quote]

Kemba was pretty clutch too in his games :D And just a thing about Jimmer's numbers.. Im sure some other guys in D1 basketball could score that much per game if they shot 30+ times too

[quote name="east texas bb" post="993669" timestamp="1302067578"]
You have to be a pretty dang good player to just be able to get your shot off 30 times.  And on top of that, make a good percentage.  And not many people would score alot shooting 30 times if they shot 30 foot from the basket.  Do you realize how many 27-30 foot shots he made? 
[/quote]

He did make a lot of really deep shots, but when you are the one guy that is instructed to shoot everytime you can, and be the offense, it doesnt surprise me that he will average the most points in the NCAA.. He looked like he was trying to be JJ Reddick out there ;D

He didnt just look like it, he played alot like JJ Reddick.  Except he was a little stronger and better off the dribble than JJ.  It still does not address the question or statement that, it is not an easy job to take 30 shots a game against a defense geared to stop you.  You have to be good to be able to get that many shots off let alone make as many as he did. They were double and triple teaming him in the NCAA tournament.  Faceguarding him the entire time.  He was the POY this year, not saying he will be the best NBA player, just he did more than any other college player this year and got rewarded for it and his team got rewarded for it by going to the Sweet 16. 

[quote name="dogs1218" post="993658" timestamp="1302063374"]
[quote author=The Spy link=topic=82636.msg993657#msg993657 date=1302062700]
[/quote]

Kemba was pretty clutch too in his games :D And just a thing about Jimmer's numbers.. Im sure some other guys in D1 basketball could score that much per game if they shot 30+ times too
[/quote]Most guys who led the nation in scoring shoot a whole bunch

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="993891" timestamp="1302109312"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=82636.msg993658#msg993658 date=1302063374]
[quote author=The Spy link=topic=82636.msg993657#msg993657 date=1302062700]
[/quote]

[/quote]Most guys who led the nation in scoring shoot a whole bunch
[/quote]

Dove- Does this mean that Jimmer is able to generate his own shot?

Guest speechless
I can't stand when people get on here and spew generalities about a player and how many shots or whatever they took....so here are facts for you guys:

Jimmer Fredette    Kemba Walker

Minutes:                  35.8                    37.6
Points PG:                28.9                    23.5
FGMade/G:                9.4                      7.7
FGAtt/G:                  20.7                    18.0
FG%/G:                    45.7                    42.8
2pt made/G:            6.0                      5.6
2pt att/G:                12.2                    12.5
2pt %/G:                  49.1                    47.1
3pt made/G:            3.4                      1.8
3pt att/G:                8.5                      5.5
3pt %/G:                39.6                    33.0
FT made/G:              6.8                      6.3
FT att/G:                7.6                      7.7
FT %/G:                  89.4                    81.9
Reb/G:                    3.4                      5.4
Ast/G:                    4.3                      4.5
Steal/G:                  1.3                      1.9
Turover/G:              3.5                      2.3                 

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="994246" timestamp="1302191407"]
1. Kemba plays much better defense.
2. Kemba played against the best teams in the country.
3. Jimmer played against mid-majors.
4. Kemba played the biggest in the biggest games. 14-0 in tournament games!
[/quote]

The only factual statement you made (#4) pertains to the team as opposed to Mr. Walker.
AS for #2 - Included in your claim is American International, Bridgeport, Stony Brook, Vermont,, New Hampshire, Fairleigh Dickinson, Coppin State, and  Harvard.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder