Next BB Coach

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="984099" timestamp="1300332342"]
I agree that a minority coach should be considered because we don't have any black head coaches in any sport right now at Lamar and Lamar is in a minority-majority community.

BUT not to be racist... but how many black coaches are in the NCAA tourney this year? I doubt it is very many....
[/quote]

hiring anyone because of color is bad business...black white yellow green

[quote name="puddin tane" post="984103" timestamp="1300332462"]
[quote author=bobbymcgee link=topic=81827.msg984099#msg984099 date=1300332342]
I agree that a minority coach should be considered because we don't have any black head coaches in any sport right now at Lamar and Lamar is in a minority-majority community.

[/quote]

hiring anyone because of color is bad business...black white yellow green
[/quote]
I understand.
Keep in mind though that there are going to be several capable black coaches available for this job that have missed out on other jobs at major colleges because of those colleges' instiutional racism. Black coaches also have a much shorter leash than white coaches so a black coach that got fired from a job might not deserve it as much as a white coach who did.

Capel can make more money as an assistant at a Major. For those that point to his OU Elite 8 run, don't forget he had the Griffin boys and Willy Warren on that team. Hard to lose many games with that trio.

Cyprien looks like a pretty good candidate, but I really want someone with winning HC experience at the college level, wether it be JC, DII or other.

I to believe that we should hire the best available candidate.  I think there will be several opportunities to hire a minority and I think that will happen. Just my belief.  I have not hear that capel is involved at all.  I do know that we are interested in him but not sure the feeling is mutual.  Cannot imagine him taking this job.  Nothing against Lamar but his FIRST head coaching was at a school that is much bigger on a basketball scale than Lamar in VCU.  He was very successful there and hell he was very successful at Oklahoma in my opinion.  I understand the Tubbs connection buy Capel has to be very careful in choosing his next head coaching job because if he fails there it may be the end of the road for him as a head coach.  I would not be shocked to see him as a top assistant at a major program or back at somewhere comparable to VCU.  Lamar.............I just don't see it.  I would love it.  I am going to dig a little today and I will let you guys know.

[quote name="badndn" post="984176" timestamp="1300367070"]
Capel can make more money as an assistant at a Major. For those that point to his OU Elite 8 run, don't forget he had the Griffin boys and Willy Warren on that team. Hard to lose many games with that trio.

Cyprien looks like a pretty good candidate, but I really want someone with winning HC experience at the college level, wether it be JC, DII or other.
[/quote]

I continue to hear people saying the things you said about Capel.  It blows my mind how much credit they have taken away from him.  He recruited Blake Griffin and Willy Warren.  So does he not get credit??  Who couldn't win with Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler, and the Plumley guys..........does that make Coach K an average coach.  Every coach in the nation who wins has great players.  He also had two of the best recruiting classes in the nation and had two players jump ship at the last second.  Lamar would be dang lucky to have Jeff Capel.  I will be shocked if it happens.

[quote name="sleepy" post="984207" timestamp="1300369273"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=81827.msg984199#msg984199 date=1300368422]
First, lets get a coach who doesn't inflate their recruiting class' bio  ::)
[/quote]

yeah we had a few problems with that on the last one didn't we!!!
[/quote]Yes we did.

[quote name="sleepy" post="984216" timestamp="1300370134"]
Shockingly enough I have dug a little this morning and it is looking as if Jeff Capel is more than interested in LU.............stay tuned!!!!!!
[/quote]

YOU DA MAN!!!!! ;D

"Rocky Balboa has shocked the world!!"

This is getting exciting!! My coach friend was dead on!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="984220" timestamp="1300370418"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=81827.msg984216#msg984216 date=1300370134]
Shockingly enough I have dug a little this morning and it is looking as if Jeff Capel is more than interested in LU.............stay tuned!!!!!!
[/quote]

YOU DA MAN!!!!! ;D

"Rocky Balboa has shocked the world!!"

This is getting exciting!! My coach friend was dead on!
[/quote]WOW! This episode could make you legit afterall ;D

ESPN and CollegeCochingNews.com reported that Terry is atop the LU list. they also commented about his recent prowess in recruiting top players from Canada to UT. Not quite the same to get those guys to LU. We went the Canada recruiting route with Mike Deene and produced ho hum results. Grant was a good shot blocker and a great student, but that was about it. The others from Canada were duds.

[quote name="sleepy" post="984216" timestamp="1300370134"]
[/quote]Lamar should hire Capel...Maybe he can get Coack K and The Bluedevils to come to Beaumont  :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder