Lamar's Scrimmage 2.26.11 Report---

SgtRey

Sgt Rey, I've noticed you post time to time on the Lamar board. What is you connection with LU? Is Bruce thinking of coming to Lamar? I think he would be a great addititon to the Cardinal program as he is a very talented athlete and obviously has leadership skills.

A couple of people were asking what Bruce's plans for college were so I thought I'd go ahead and ask point blank.

Forgive me, if you take it as being rude. I and a few others were just wondering about your son's future plans.

[quote] Coach Ray Woodard said no quarterback had taken command of the starting quarterback competition before Saturday, but Bevil appeared to take a big step toward being the man once again. Bevil will need to cut down on turnovers if he wants to keep the job. He threw 14 interceptions and lost six fumbles last season.[/quote]

If you ask me, and just about every Cardinal fan, he did lose his job to Prewitt in the middle of the season last year. Yes, Bevil looks better in practice because no one is really gunning for him like in gametime situations.

If Bevil starts day one, expect another long season.

Nah, with the talent at that position this year Coach Woodard is going to have a short chain on turnovers. All four guys are good and this is probably the most competitive position on the team.

I personally don't see him naming a starter until after fall drills begin.

It is still too close.

[quote name="bigred360" post="973728" timestamp="1298846438"]
Sgt Rey, I've noticed you post time to time on the Lamar board. What is you connection with LU? Is Bruce thinking of coming to Lamar? I think he would be a great addititon to the Cardinal program as he is a very talented athlete and obviously has leadership skills.

A couple of people were asking what Bruce's plans for college were so I thought I'd go ahead and ask point blank.

Forgive me, if you take it as being rude. I and a few others were just wondering about your son's future plans.
[/quote]
I have no connection...I attended Lamar before going in to the Marine Corps....Lamar was talking about offering Jr last Spring...but it didn't happen.......I understand it is difficult to entertain 6 QB's on a roster....he would love to walk on, but doesn't seem to be in the radar for even that...

One coach told me that it's a risk going after Jr...because they do not know if he will perform at the same level as he did in HS.....you know what?  [b]THE ENTIRE WB DEFENSE WILL BE PLAYING COLLEGE FOOTBALL SOMEWHERE[/b](the last one committed yesterday to UT)....you can say he has been practicing against college level talent for 2 yrs....yeah he's "Fivey" (5' 11")....

Bruce's Sophomore yr in HS he was asked to play WR....to this day, I think he could have come on to the scene a bit earlier...I think he could have challenged for the QB spot as a sophomore! just my opinion...Deja VU?

Jr has a couple of offers from D2 schools, D3 (academic), Jr College, NAIA...(All want him as a QB)..but he wants to wait til after Lamar's Spring Game to see if they would take him as a "Considered Walk On"...but If they don't want him, he doesn't want to force the issue(try out with out being considered)...I don't think they would give him an opportunity to compete...DEJA VU...again... 8)

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="973809" timestamp="1298858539"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=80980.msg973728#msg973728 date=1298846438]

[/quote]
I have no connection...I attended Lamar before going in to the Marine Corps....Lamar was talking about offering Jr last Spring...but it didn't happen.......I understand it is difficult to entertain 6 QB's on a roster....he would love to walk on, but doesn't seem to be in the radar for even that...

One coach told me that it's a risk going after Jr...because they do not know if he will perform at the same level as he did in HS.....you know what?  [b]THE ENTIRE WB DEFENSE WILL BE PLAYING COLLEGE FOOTBALL SOMEWHERE[/b](the last one committed yesterday to UT)....you can say he has been practicing against college level talent for 2 yrs....yeah he's "Fivey" (5' 11")....

Bruce's Sophomore yr in HS he was asked to play WR....to this day, I think he could have come on to the scene a bit earlier...I think he could have challenged for the QB spot as a sophomore! just my opinion...Deja VU?

Jr has a couple of offers from D2 schools, D3 (academic), Jr College, NAIA...(All want him as a QB)..but he wants to wait til after Lamar's Spring Game to see if they would take him as a "Considered Walk On"...but If they don't want him, he doesn't want to force the issue(try out with out being considered)...I don't think they would give him an opportunity to compete...DEJA VU...again... 8)
[/quote]

Rey, sounds to me like the best option would be to go the JuCo route in the hopes you can catch a few eyes. To my knowledge, you don't see a lot of outstanding DII talent moving up to DI. What I see around this area is DI talent going to a JuCo, transferring to DI, and then if issues come up, going down to DII. I think if he can shine at a JuCo somewhere, then he'll get a call in two years to try out somewhere.

Best of luck to your son!

[quote name="JJWooten" post="973870" timestamp="1298865997"]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=80980.msg973809#msg973809 date=1298858539]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=80980.msg973728#msg973728 date=1298846438]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Rey, sounds to me like the best option would be to go the JuCo route in the hopes you can catch a few eyes. To my knowledge, you don't see a lot of outstanding DII talent moving up to DI. What I see around this area is DI talent going to a JuCo, transferring to DI, and then if issues come up, going down to DII. I think if he can shine at a JuCo somewhere, then he'll get a call in two years to try out somewhere.

Best of luck to your son!
[/quote]
That is not out of the question...and Jr will make the best choice that fits him.

[quote name="bigred360" post="973912" timestamp="1298892032"]
Sgt Rey, thanks for replying to my post. Best of luck to Bruce and may he get a shot someone. He is too talented to stop playing after HS in my opinion.
[/quote]
The way he's going it wouldn't surprise me if he was moved to running back....squated 575lbs Saturday...he tried to drop weight to lift with the 181 lbs class (weighed in at 187 lbs)...got 1st place in the 198 lbs class...by the fall he'll be near 200 lbs.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="974200" timestamp="1298928449"]
[quote author=mffl link=topic=80980.msg973827#msg973827 date=1298861276]
Look for changes within the coaching staff soon.....
[/quote]

maybe woodard is tired of dim whitten and his 2 plays
[/quote]
Maybe Coach Stump is ready to move back to College... :o

[quote name="puddin tane" post="974200" timestamp="1298928449"]
[quote author=mffl link=topic=80980.msg973827#msg973827 date=1298861276]
Look for changes within the coaching staff soon.....
[/quote]

maybe woodard is tired of dim whitten and his 2 plays
[/quote]

Think defense.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami