Deer Hunters...What did you get?

Guest Diva

The spoils from my Saturday morning include a bad bearing, replaced a couple of drive belts, and ended up running a cherry picker until around 9:30 last night. Yeah I was one of the "lucky ones" that had to work opening day. I saw where there was one 8 pointer taken from our lease...JWCC in Jasper county. I was surprised to hear that the deer were moving rather well. For the moon to be as bright as it was Friday night, I did not expect them to be moving during the day.

Then when I am off Monday and Tuesday, The temperature is in the mid 70's. Blasted mosquitos and flies. :?

How do you field dress a cherry picker? :lol:

I also heard that the deer were moving alot this weekend even with the bright moon. Maybe everyone left a few big 'uns for ya'!

They were moving. I only hunted Sat. morning, but saw 9. The guy that we brought with us shot the 8 pt at JWCC...It was a nice deer..3.5 to 4.5 yrs old...A cull buck though IMO...125 lbs dressed weight...it was his biggest deer though, so he's getting it mounted

Brother in law killed 10 pt with 19 inch inside and scored 128 bc. We both passed several small 8's. Deer were moving well and looks like the rut will happen any day now.

the rut's been happening down here in north Jasper county for several weeks now...

Saturday morning i saw a 7 point with around a 14 inch spread he had antlers like an older deer they were flatter and curved around not strait up, but it had the tiniest body. i bet it didn't way 100. i was wondering if maybe it was an older deer with a defect or a young deer with excellent genetics. i let him walk in hopes of a bigger buck.

Saturday morning i saw a 7 point with around a 14 inch spread he had antlers like an older deer they were flatter and curved around not strait up' date=' but it had the tiniest body. i bet it didn't way 100. i was wondering if maybe it was an older deer with a defect or a young deer with excellent genetics. i let him walk in hopes of a bigger buck.[/quote']

If he was healthy looking but just small, then he is probably a young deer. If it was a sickly looking deer, then you probably had an old deer that needs to be taken out of its misery.

I saw one last Tuesday that I thought was a doe when I saw the thin neck. Then it stepped out and had an 8 point rack but just small. It was pretty shaped but he was just young.

Good point TVC. You can not know a buck's age by antler size or shape. However, body size and shape can tell you alot. Sway back, saggy belly, broad shoulders, roman nose, posture, etc. = old buck. Even a sickly older deer will normally have these characteristics. BCTE82 you probably made the right move by letting a young buck walk.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder