Does Coach English encourage scouts to recruit his players.

Scoutu14

[quote name="Scoutu14" post="956011" timestamp="1296166851"]
I find it kind of odd that Nederland has players from other sports playing beyond high school. I wonder if Coach English contacts any colleges about hsi players so they have an opportunity to extend their playing careers.
[/quote]

I think you will discover that the college recruiting system is sophisticated enough that it finds most of its players without the solicitation of their high school coach.  As Nederland continues to gain a reputation for basketball, I would assume any player with the potential to advance to the next level will be noticed.

Let's not forget that no matter how much a coach contacts/solicits college scouts he can't pass the tests needed to get into college nor can he/she keep their grades up in college classes which is also needed to  stay in college and maintain that BIG  :D scholarship they are getting. 
Yes, we've had many High School State championship teams from this area but how many of those players have extended their playing careers?  Thank you HF for being an Exemplary school district and preparing our kids for college whether playing sports or not.
I love this site setxsports.com but too bad there isn't one for setxGRADES.com because for the majority of the kids they will need the grades to be successful in anything they do.  Even if they do make it to the NBA/NFL/MLB, etc they should know how important it is to understand AT LEAST Math (so that your Accountant/CPA is not stealing their money) and English (so that they can read/comprehend college applications, scholarship agreements, and contracts).

If a kid is good, or thinks he is good, he needs to participate in the AAU circuit. Maybe he will find out he is not as good as he thinks. If he is good in AAU he will get recognition. College scouts attend many of the AAU tournaments, and many of the younger kids are followed by college scouts throughout their AAU years. A kid has to consistently compete against the best to be considered as one of the best. AAU provides this forum.

[quote name="5 on 5" post="956163" timestamp="1296182372"]
If a kid is good, or thinks he is good, he needs to participate in the AAU circuit. Maybe he will find out he is not as good as he thinks. If he is good in AAU he will get recognition. College scouts attend many of the AAU tournaments, and many of the younger kids are followed by college scouts throughout their AAU years. A kid has to consistently compete against the best to be considered as one of the best. AAU provides this forum.
[/quote]Yep! But I gotta give it to English, he brings his boys to the Big Dogs and let them get their feet wet on the circuit.

[quote name="TheGame" post="956240" timestamp="1296200346"]
They should but most won't endorse players to scouts they enjoy the pats on the back while their jobs depends on talented players and buying into schemes. Most sadly ride their players back to a better coaching job or Athletic Diretor ........ Opps
[/quote]Some people should just keep their mouths shut and let us think they're stupid rather then open their mouth and remove all doubt.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="956178" timestamp="1296185465"]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=79359.msg956163#msg956163 date=1296182372]
[/quote]Yep! But I gotta give it to English, he brings his boys to the Big Dogs and let them get their feet wet on the circuit.
[/quote]
you are correct! He finds tournaments for his kids to compete in all summer long. His season does not start in August when school starts. It starts the day after the end of the season and
he doesn't stop. The reason recruiters now about his kids is b/c he brings them to places where they can be seen. He also brought in MAJOR competition to the Nederland Classic this yr.

[quote name="Scoutu14" post="956011" timestamp="1296166851"]
I find it kind of odd that Nederland has players from other sports playing beyond high school. I wonder if Coach English contacts any colleges about hsi players so they have an opportunity to extend their playing careers.
[/quote]

How many players in other sports from Nederland are truly playing beyond high school and did the coach of that sport help them get to the next level?  Not very many from football(Dravanti, Micah, now Dionte);  softball gets more than any sport; and baseball has had a few play at the next level but not near as many as actually could play at the next level(Aaron Dalton, Aaron McFarland, Ryan Franz, all got their own opportunities to play at the next level by initially walking on at a college) should be a couple of more beside Sonnier on this years team make it to the next level but we will see.  

The simple truth is I have had a son on every varsity team that Coach English has had at NHS and there have not been any players that could play at the next level on any teams except for this year.  IMO Kelvin Smith and Chris Cunningham are the only two players that Coach English has had that can play at the next level and they have been seen.  My sons will tell you Coach English cares about his players and will help them with anything he could possibly do.  Nobody but players and coaches know what goes on behind the scenes.  Quit trying to create distraction! >:(          

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="956319" timestamp="1296227582"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=79359.msg956178#msg956178 date=1296185465]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=79359.msg956163#msg956163 date=1296182372]
[/quote]
you are correct! He finds tournaments for his kids to compete in all summer long. His season does not start in August when school starts. It starts the day after the end of the season and
he doesn't stop. The reason recruiters now about his kids is b/c he brings them to places where they can be seen. He also brought in MAJOR competition to the Nederland Classic this yr.
[/quote]Playing in the summer leagues with the Big Dogs helps a player find his weaknesses, because they will be exposed ( da weaknesses)

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="956433" timestamp="1296235309"]
They had a handful of scouts at the Nederland Tournament earlier this year, but I don't really know if they were there for Nederland as much as they were there for Ball, and a couple of the other teams there.
[/quote]Thats why it is important to play in venues with 'superstars" because as they are watching them, Little Johnny might have something that draws their attention ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="956446" timestamp="1296236369"]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=79359.msg956433#msg956433 date=1296235309]
They had a handful of scouts at the Nederland Tournament earlier this year, but I don't really know if they were there for Nederland as much as they were there for Ball, and a couple of the other teams there.
[/quote]Thats why it is important to play in venues with 'superstars" because as they are watching them, Little Johnny might have something that draws their attention ;)
[/quote]

Not to mention it prepares you for a tough district race!

[quote name="NHS83LU87" post="956472" timestamp="1296238515"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=79359.msg956446#msg956446 date=1296236369]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=79359.msg956433#msg956433 date=1296235309]
[/quote]

Not to mention it prepares you for a tough district race!
[/quote] ??? Oh, the "tough" race and not the district :D

Guest tappedout
I know a couple of college coaches and was told that most of their recruiting is done during the summer as they are gone the whole month of July to AAU tournament's. They said very rarely do they see kid's during the regular season unless they don't have a game or practice. They may be able to make a few games during the season.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    nexax
    Newest Member
    nexax